not understanding how full plate's ac changes when a shield is equipped

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2004
      I have a character who is wearing full plate and also has a dex of
      12, so his ac line on his sheet looks like this:

      AC 19 | 18| 11| 10| 8| 0| 1| 0| 0| 0|
      total |flat|touch|base|armor|shield|stat|size|natural| misc|

      When I equip a large steel shield, it looks like this:

      AC 21 | 20| 13| 10| 6| 2| 1| 0| 0| 2|
      total |flat|touch|base|armor|shield|stat|size|natural| misc|

      The armor goes down to 6 but I get a misc of 2 which still totals to
      the correct AC, but when I equip a greatsword 2-handed or 1-handed,
      it doesn't change, but I should not get the shield bonus when
      equipping a greatsword 2-handed.

      Can anyone explain this strange behavior?

      Thanks for your support,