House Rule: Buying a Feat for XP

  • Luc Foisy
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
      I am not quite sure how to do this. I considered a template, but not quite
      sure how to get this done.

      I need it to allow to add a feat that has no other feat prerequisites, and
      it would cost an amount of xp = to 1/10th the xp needed for the current
      level, and can only buy one per level, and only have a maximum of 8 of these
      purchased feats.

      I could deal with the loss of some of the checking for if I can purchase (
      max 1 per level, max 8 total )
      It would be great if I could get the xp cost in there, and the feat add

      Could someone point me in the right direction for this?
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
        This won't do the XP thing, but it should limit it to 1 per level:

        TYPE all of them the same, say with MyType...

        PREVARGTEQ:((TL)MIN8)-COUNT[FEATTYPE=MyType.ALL],1

        That will make the feats available 1 per level up through level 8. Now if they don't take one on level 2, it will allow 2 on level 3, but it is as close as we can get with current code...

        Tir Gwaith
        LST Chimp

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
          Thank you for the reply, but I am not quite sure this is what I am looking
          for....

          Is that limiting buying those feats when the character is 1st to 8th level?
          What I would like is they can buy those feats at any level, but a maximum of
          8 feats could be purchased.
          They could also purchase any feat that has been loaded into the system

          Perhaps I could do this with a template in some way, and the template would
          have a variable that would be set at the current level it was added at.
          That way I could count the number of templates of this type the character
          has, and I could check to see if they have the template at that level
          already.
          The template would allow the user to chose a feat from a list (that has no
          feat prerequisites).
          Can the template log the feat added in this way? I'd like to know if this
          particular feat was purchased or not.

          I also would like to add free feats (you know like god granted feats or
          something). Is the system not designed currently to only allow a feat add if
          done so under normal circumstances?

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
            Duh, I just realized I could change the number of feats that could be
            applied to the character! :)
            I'll just do that then and modify the xp as appropriate, silly me.

            Thank you for your effort.

            This won't do the XP thing, but it should limit it to 1 per level:

            TYPE all of them the same, say with MyType...

            PREVARGTEQ:((TL)MIN8)-COUNT[FEATTYPE=MyType.ALL],1

            That will make the feats available 1 per level up through level 8. Now
            if
            they don't take one on level 2, it will allow 2 on level 3, but it is as
            close as we can get with current code...

            Tir Gwaith
            LST Chimp

            >I need it to allow to add a feat that has no other feat prerequisites,
            and
            >it would cost an amount of xp = to 1/10th the xp needed for the current
            >level, and can only buy one per level, and only have a maximum of 8 of
            these
            >purchased feats.
            >
            >I could deal with the loss of some of the checking for if I can
            purchase
            (
            >max 1 per level, max 8 total )
            >It would be great if I could get the xp cost in there, and the feat add
            >
            >Could someone point me in the right direction for this?

            Service.