Re: How do I let PCs pick bonus skills?

  • allencohn
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2002
      Hi Tir,

      Thank you for your reply. Some follow-up questions/comments:

      * How do I make the chooser select the correct number of skills to
      choose? I've re-written the feat as:

      Bonus Languages CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|TYPE.Speak|INTMAX0
      BONUS:SKILLRANK|LIST|5 DESC:Bonus spoken languages due to
      Intelligence TYPE:General SOURCEPAGE:M-World

      The problem is that when I created a fighter with Intelligence 10 and
      then selected the feat, he was offered a choice of *two* Speak
      skills. I should have been offered 0 because that's the modifier for
      Intelligence 10. Any ideas why INTMAX0 doesn't seem to work?

      * It would be great if someone would re-write the documentation for
      CHOOSE. I find it *very* difficult to understand, and I certainly
      didn't pick up that "CHOOSE is basically a FEAT - only tag".

      * To finish up this effort, what tag do I include in my races.lst
      file to grant one extra feat of the character's choosing?

      * You mentioned below that what I probably wanted to do (but can't in
      the current version) is to add ADD:Feat(Bonus Languages) to my
      customraces.lst file. Why would this be correct instead of FEAT:Bonus
      Languages or VFEAT:Bonus Languages?

      * As a kluge around the inability to use ADD:FEAT(Bonus Languages) in
      customraces.lst, could I define the list of choices in the
      customraces.lst, and then reference that list of choices someplace
      else that actually adds the feat?

      For example (since I'm kluging together an alternate way to handle
      languages):

      Within customraces.lst, if the user selects a human DEFINE
      BonusLanguagesListRace to be TYPE.Speak; if the user selects a dwarf,
      then DEFINE BonusLanguagesRace to be Speak (Giant),Speak
      (Gnome),Speak (Goblin),Speak (Orc),Speak (Terran),Speak
      (Undercommon); etc.

      Within customclasses.lst, if the user selects a cleric, then DEFINE
      BonusLanguagesListClass to be Speak (Celestial),Speak (Abyssal),Speak
      (Infernal); if the user selects a fighter, then DEFINE
      BonusLanguagesListClass to be empty; etc.

      Somewhere else define BonusLanguagesList to be the concatenation of
      the two above.

      Then have the feat choose from among BonusLanguagesList (wherever
      such a feat should be given)?

      Thanks,
      Allen

      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "tir_gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...>
      wrote:
      > Sooooo close... Now I understand what you are trying to do...
      >
      > you want ADD:FEAT() in races.lst.. Not available yet (It's pretty
      > high on Bryan's to-do list) It's only in class.lst right now...
      >
      > CHOOSE will NOT work in races.lst
      >
      > CHOOSE is basically a FEAT - only tag. There are some other uses,
      > but they are limited to one use in some different files (skills,
      and
      > I think domains) CHOOSE is also a subtab in ADD:LIST() and
      > TEMPLATE: tags.
      >
      > I see you are trying to turn languages into 5 ranked skills. For
      > now, you will need to do it via an extra feat for every race, and
      > then have the user choose the Bonus Languages feat from the feat
      tab.

      > Tir Gwaith

    • Ian Dale
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2002
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "allencohn" <allen@c...> wrote:
        > * To finish up this effort, what tag do I include in my races.lst
        > file to grant one extra feat of the character's choosing?

        You could modify the starting feats tag (or insert it if you don't
        already have it), to add an additional feat at lvl 1.

        > * You mentioned below that what I probably wanted to do (but can't
        in
        > the current version) is to add ADD:Feat(Bonus Languages) to my
        > customraces.lst file. Why would this be correct instead of
        FEAT:Bonus
        > Languages or VFEAT:Bonus Languages?

        ADD:FEAT() (and ADD:LIST(), etc.) will bring up the chooser window,
        while FEAT, AUTOFEAT, VFEAT, etc. won't. I had to go through this,
        too. :)

        > * As a kluge around the inability to use ADD:FEAT(Bonus Languages)
        in
        > customraces.lst, could I define the list of choices in the
        > customraces.lst, and then reference that list of choices someplace
        > else that actually adds the feat?

        You might just have an extra feat at lvl 1 for the races, and just
        make sure the players choose the Bonus Languages feat.

        -Ian
      • allencohn
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2002
          Thanks Ian for the idea...

          > You could modify the starting feats tag (or insert it if you don't
          > already have it), to add an additional feat at lvl 1.

          Would that be

          Human.MOD[tab]STARTFEATS:1

          to add one feat...or

          Human.MOD[tab]STARTFEATS:3

          for three starting feats, total?

          Thanks,
          Allen

          PS: If anyone knows why my INTMAX0 in the feat definition didn't
          work, please let me know.
        • Ian Dale
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2002
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "allencohn" <allen@c...> wrote:
            > Thanks Ian for the idea...
            >
            > > You could modify the starting feats tag (or insert it if you
            don't
            > > already have it), to add an additional feat at lvl 1.
            >
            > Would that be
            >
            > Human.MOD[tab]STARTFEATS:1
            >
            > to add one feat...or
            >
            > Human.MOD[tab]STARTFEATS:3
            >
            > for three starting feats, total?

            After trying the two, it looks like the second is what you want.
            Seems that STARTFEATS is replaced.

            -Ian