[RSRD] Natural Weapon Proficiencies

  • taluroniscandar
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
      Can someone explain to me why there are no natural weapons profs
      (TYPE:Natural) in the rsrd files?

      Were these overlooked or is there a new method of coding them which
      does not require a weapon proficiency.

      If there is a new method then how do you make them finesseable, apply
      weapon focus, etc? (I note that there are some SF bug reports about
      natural weapons including about finesseable.)
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
        > Can someone explain to me why there are no natural weapons profs
        > (TYPE:Natural) in the rsrd files?
        >
        > Were these overlooked or is there a new method of coding them which
        > does not require a weapon proficiency.

        I noticed that last week. Doug is going over RSRD equipment stuff, so he
        added them last weekend.

        They aren't needed for straight use becuase of how NATURALATTACKS works.
        You just can't get feats to apply to them properly without a weaponprof
        entry.

        > If there is a new method then how do you make them finesseable, apply
        > weapon focus, etc? (I note that there are some SF bug reports about
        > natural weapons including about finesseable.)

        Finesseable in 3.5e has a little complication (getting the bonus twice if
        both light and natural, which would be wrong...)

        Doug's working on that problem.

        Tir Gwaith
        LST Chimp
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2004
          <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
          > > Can someone explain to me why there are no natural weapons profs
          > > (TYPE:Natural) in the rsrd files?
          > >
          > > Were these overlooked or is there a new method of coding them which
          > > does not require a weapon proficiency.
          >
          > I noticed that last week. Doug is going over RSRD equipment stuff,
          so he
          > added them last weekend.
          >
          > They aren't needed for straight use becuase of how NATURALATTACKS works.
          > You just can't get feats to apply to them properly without a weaponprof
          > entry.
          >
          > > If there is a new method then how do you make them finesseable, apply
          > > weapon focus, etc? (I note that there are some SF bug reports about
          > > natural weapons including about finesseable.)
          >
          > Finesseable in 3.5e has a little complication (getting the bonus
          twice if
          > both light and natural, which would be wrong...)
          >
          > Doug's working on that problem.

          That's about what I figured. Thanks.
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2004
            While we're talking about Natural weapons another question:

            Is there any way to apply equipement modifiers to weapons designated
            with NATURALATTACK?

            I'm coding the monster feats from the rsrd and Improved Natural
            Attacks allow the natural attack to do damage as if one size larger.
            BONUS:EQMWEAPON|DAMAGESIZE|1 will do that (and it's the only tag I
            know of that will) but as an EQM it's only supposed to be used with
            equipmod entries.

            Since the NATURALATTACK tag adds the 'weapon' to the equipment list to
            be 'equipped' there are no "Natural Weapons" in the melee weapons file.

            If NATURALATTACK adds the proficiency in the background and then Doug
            adds the profs list a rsrd_equip_weap_natural.lst could be created to
            allow such modified weapons to be made and equipped.
            PREFEAT:1,Improved Natural Attacks (xxx) could be used to enforce only
            allows though with the feat to select and equip the eqmod.
          • Emily Smirle
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2004
              taluroniscandar wrote:

              >While we're talking about Natural weapons another question:
              >
              >Is there any way to apply equipement modifiers to weapons designated
              >with NATURALATTACK?
              >
              >I'm coding the monster feats from the rsrd and Improved Natural
              >Attacks allow the natural attack to do damage as if one size larger.
              >BONUS:EQMWEAPON|DAMAGESIZE|1 will do that (and it's the only tag I
              >know of that will) but as an EQM it's only supposed to be used with
              >equipmod entries.
              >
              >Since the NATURALATTACK tag adds the 'weapon' to the equipment list to
              >be 'equipped' there are no "Natural Weapons" in the melee weapons file.
              >
              >If NATURALATTACK adds the proficiency in the background and then Doug
              >adds the profs list a rsrd_equip_weap_natural.lst could be created to
              >allow such modified weapons to be made and equipped.
              >PREFEAT:1,Improved Natural Attacks (xxx) could be used to enforce only
              >allows though with the feat to select and equip the eqmod.

              A more elegant solution, and one that would fix a few other feats and
              prestige classes that popped up in our house rules, would be to create a
              more general BONUS that one can apply to all weapons of the stated
              proficiency, and let it work with CHOOSE so one could choose
              profficiencies of TYPE=Natural (in this case).

              Pretty please?

              --
              Soylant Clear: Clearly less people, Clearly less fat.
            • taluroniscandar
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2004
                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Emily Smirle
                <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
                > taluroniscandar wrote:
                >
                > >While we're talking about Natural weapons another question:
                > >
                > >Is there any way to apply equipement modifiers to weapons designated
                > >with NATURALATTACK?
                > >
                > >I'm coding the monster feats from the rsrd and Improved Natural
                > >Attacks allow the natural attack to do damage as if one size larger.
                > >BONUS:EQMWEAPON|DAMAGESIZE|1 will do that (and it's the only tag I
                > >know of that will) but as an EQM it's only supposed to be used with
                > >equipmod entries.
                > >
                > >Since the NATURALATTACK tag adds the 'weapon' to the equipment list to
                > >be 'equipped' there are no "Natural Weapons" in the melee weapons file.
                > >
                > >If NATURALATTACK adds the proficiency in the background and then Doug
                > >adds the profs list a rsrd_equip_weap_natural.lst could be created to
                > >allow such modified weapons to be made and equipped.
                > >PREFEAT:1,Improved Natural Attacks (xxx) could be used to enforce only
                > >allows though with the feat to select and equip the eqmod.
                > >

                > A more elegant solution, and one that would fix a few other feats and
                > prestige classes that popped up in our house rules, would be to
                create a
                > more general BONUS that one can apply to all weapons of the stated
                > proficiency, and let it work with CHOOSE so one could choose
                > profficiencies of TYPE=Natural (in this case).

                More general than BONUS:WEAPONPROF?

                Or do you mean add a DAMAGESIZE choice to BONUS:WEAPONPROF?
              • Emily Smirle
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2004
                  taluroniscandar wrote:

                  >Or do you mean add a DAMAGESIZE choice to BONUS:WEAPONPROF?

                  That one. :)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2004
                    <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
                    > taluroniscandar wrote:
                    >
                    > >Or do you mean add a DAMAGESIZE choice to BONUS:WEAPONPROF?
                    > >

                    > That one. :)

                    Sounds good to me.

                    Created a FReq at SF #890480 to add DAMAGESIZE to BONUS:WEAPON and
                    BONUS:WEAPONPROF.