RE: How do I let PCs pick bonus skills?

  • allencohn
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 15, 2002
      Thanks Tir for the idea. I'm having trouble implementing it. Here's
      what I tried:

      In my custom feats file I wrote:

      Bonus Languages CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Speak (Druidic),Speak (Abyssal)
      |INTMAX0 BONUS:SKILLRANK|LIST|5 DESC:Bonus spoken languages
      due to Intelligence TYPE:General SOURCEPAGE:M-World

      (note that Speak (Druidic),Speak (Abyssal) are custom skills I
      defined)

      In my custom races file I wrote:

      Human.MOD FEAT:Bonus Languages

      The feat shows up on print preview, but the chooser doesn't invoke to
      select the skills. So I have some questions:

      * How do I get the chooser to invoke?
      * Why do I have to do this as a feat instead of just including the
      CHOOSE tag directly within the custom races file?
      * Should I use a VFEAT rather than a FEAT?
      * May I substitute TYPE=Speak for an explicit list of skills?

      Thanks,
      Allen

      --- In pcgen@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
      > Feats.
      >
      > Human Skills Group CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|MySkill (A),MySkill (B)
      |INTMAX0
      > BONUS:SKILLRANK|LIST|5
      > Half-Elf Skills Group CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|MySkill (A),MySkill (C)
      |INTMAX0
      > BONUS:SKILLRANK|LIST|5
      >
      > Somehow call the feat, and viola.
      >
      > Tir Gwaith

    • tir_gwaith
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 15, 2002
        Sooooo close... Now I understand what you are trying to do...

        you want ADD:FEAT() in races.lst.. Not available yet (It's pretty
        high on Bryan's to-do list) It's only in class.lst right now...

        CHOOSE will NOT work in races.lst

        CHOOSE is basically a FEAT - only tag. There are some other uses,
        but they are limited to one use in some different files (skills, and
        I think domains) CHOOSE is also a subtab in ADD:LIST() and
        TEMPLATE: tags.

        I see you are trying to turn languages into 5 ranked skills. For
        now, you will need to do it via an extra feat for every race, and
        then have the user choose the Bonus Languages feat from the feat tab.

        Tir Gwaith

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "allencohn" <allen@c...> wrote:
        > Thanks Tir for the idea. I'm having trouble implementing it.
        Here's
        > what I tried:
        >
        > In my custom feats file I wrote:
        >
        > Bonus Languages CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Speak (Druidic),Speak (Abyssal)
        > |INTMAX0 BONUS:SKILLRANK|LIST|5 DESC:Bonus spoken languages
        > due to Intelligence TYPE:General SOURCEPAGE:M-World
        >
        > (note that Speak (Druidic),Speak (Abyssal) are custom skills I
        > defined)
        >
        > In my custom races file I wrote:
        >
        > Human.MOD FEAT:Bonus Languages
        >
        > The feat shows up on print preview, but the chooser doesn't invoke
        > select the skills. So I have some questions:
        >
        > * How do I get the chooser to invoke?
        > * Why do I have to do this as a feat instead of just including the
        > CHOOSE tag directly within the custom races file?
        > * Should I use a VFEAT rather than a FEAT?
        > * May I substitute TYPE=Speak for an explicit list of skills?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Allen

      • Mynex
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2002
          Actually, not entirely accurate. He _could_ make it a kit, a language
          kit, with the appropriate bonuses and whatnot.

          Allen, take a look at the phbstartingkits.lst file to see how to set
          that up... it's pretty flexible, and since it would be a kit, it's a 4
          click option... 1 click for the kits window, 2 clicks to move the kit
          over, and 1 click to close the kits window. ;p

          Mynex
          - #1 Evil Assistant
          - List & Doc Silverback
          - Reviewer RPG Reviews

          Sooooo close... Now I understand what you are trying to do...

          you want ADD:FEAT() in races.lst.. Not available yet (It's pretty
          high on Bryan's to-do list) It's only in class.lst right now...

          CHOOSE will NOT work in races.lst

          CHOOSE is basically a FEAT - only tag. There are some other uses,
          but they are limited to one use in some different files (skills, and
          I think domains) CHOOSE is also a subtab in ADD:LIST() and
          TEMPLATE: tags.

          I see you are trying to turn languages into 5 ranked skills. For
          now, you will need to do it via an extra feat for every race, and
          then have the user choose the Bonus Languages feat from the feat tab.

          Tir Gwaith

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "allencohn" <allen@c...> wrote:
          > Thanks Tir for the idea. I'm having trouble implementing it.
          Here's
          > what I tried:
          >
          > In my custom feats file I wrote:
          >
          > Bonus Languages CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Speak (Druidic),Speak (Abyssal)
          > |INTMAX0 BONUS:SKILLRANK|LIST|5 DESC:Bonus spoken languages
          > due to Intelligence TYPE:General SOURCEPAGE:M-World
          >
          > (note that Speak (Druidic),Speak (Abyssal) are custom skills I
          > defined)
          >
          > In my custom races file I wrote:
          >
          > Human.MOD FEAT:Bonus Languages
          >
          > The feat shows up on print preview, but the chooser doesn't invoke
          > select the skills. So I have some questions:
          >
          > * How do I get the chooser to invoke?
          > * Why do I have to do this as a feat instead of just including the
          > CHOOSE tag directly within the custom races file?
          > * Should I use a VFEAT rather than a FEAT?
          > * May I substitute TYPE=Speak for an explicit list of skills?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Allen

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • allencohn
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2002
            Hi Tir,

            Thank you for your reply. Some follow-up questions/comments:

            * How do I make the chooser select the correct number of skills to
            choose? I've re-written the feat as:

            Bonus Languages CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|TYPE.Speak|INTMAX0
            BONUS:SKILLRANK|LIST|5 DESC:Bonus spoken languages due to
            Intelligence TYPE:General SOURCEPAGE:M-World

            The problem is that when I created a fighter with Intelligence 10 and
            then selected the feat, he was offered a choice of *two* Speak
            skills. I should have been offered 0 because that's the modifier for
            Intelligence 10. Any ideas why INTMAX0 doesn't seem to work?

            * It would be great if someone would re-write the documentation for
            CHOOSE. I find it *very* difficult to understand, and I certainly
            didn't pick up that "CHOOSE is basically a FEAT - only tag".

            * To finish up this effort, what tag do I include in my races.lst
            file to grant one extra feat of the character's choosing?

            * You mentioned below that what I probably wanted to do (but can't in
            the current version) is to add ADD:Feat(Bonus Languages) to my
            customraces.lst file. Why would this be correct instead of FEAT:Bonus
            Languages or VFEAT:Bonus Languages?

            * As a kluge around the inability to use ADD:FEAT(Bonus Languages) in
            customraces.lst, could I define the list of choices in the
            customraces.lst, and then reference that list of choices someplace
            else that actually adds the feat?

            For example (since I'm kluging together an alternate way to handle
            languages):

            Within customraces.lst, if the user selects a human DEFINE
            BonusLanguagesListRace to be TYPE.Speak; if the user selects a dwarf,
            then DEFINE BonusLanguagesRace to be Speak (Giant),Speak
            (Gnome),Speak (Goblin),Speak (Orc),Speak (Terran),Speak
            (Undercommon); etc.

            Within customclasses.lst, if the user selects a cleric, then DEFINE
            BonusLanguagesListClass to be Speak (Celestial),Speak (Abyssal),Speak
            (Infernal); if the user selects a fighter, then DEFINE
            BonusLanguagesListClass to be empty; etc.

            Somewhere else define BonusLanguagesList to be the concatenation of
            the two above.

            Then have the feat choose from among BonusLanguagesList (wherever
            such a feat should be given)?

            Thanks,
            Allen

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "tir_gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...>
            wrote:
            > Sooooo close... Now I understand what you are trying to do...
            >
            > you want ADD:FEAT() in races.lst.. Not available yet (It's pretty
            > high on Bryan's to-do list) It's only in class.lst right now...
            >
            > CHOOSE will NOT work in races.lst
            >
            > CHOOSE is basically a FEAT - only tag. There are some other uses,
            > but they are limited to one use in some different files (skills,
            and
            > I think domains) CHOOSE is also a subtab in ADD:LIST() and
            > TEMPLATE: tags.
            >
            > I see you are trying to turn languages into 5 ranked skills. For
            > now, you will need to do it via an extra feat for every race, and
            > then have the user choose the Bonus Languages feat from the feat
            tab.

            > Tir Gwaith

          • Ian Dale
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 16, 2002
              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "allencohn" <allen@c...> wrote:
              > * To finish up this effort, what tag do I include in my races.lst
              > file to grant one extra feat of the character's choosing?

              You could modify the starting feats tag (or insert it if you don't
              already have it), to add an additional feat at lvl 1.

              > * You mentioned below that what I probably wanted to do (but can't
              in
              > the current version) is to add ADD:Feat(Bonus Languages) to my
              > customraces.lst file. Why would this be correct instead of
              FEAT:Bonus
              > Languages or VFEAT:Bonus Languages?

              ADD:FEAT() (and ADD:LIST(), etc.) will bring up the chooser window,
              while FEAT, AUTOFEAT, VFEAT, etc. won't. I had to go through this,
              too. :)

              > * As a kluge around the inability to use ADD:FEAT(Bonus Languages)
              in
              > customraces.lst, could I define the list of choices in the
              > customraces.lst, and then reference that list of choices someplace
              > else that actually adds the feat?

              You might just have an extra feat at lvl 1 for the races, and just
              make sure the players choose the Bonus Languages feat.

              -Ian
            • allencohn
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 16, 2002
                Thanks Ian for the idea...

                > You could modify the starting feats tag (or insert it if you don't
                > already have it), to add an additional feat at lvl 1.

                Would that be

                Human.MOD[tab]STARTFEATS:1

                to add one feat...or

                Human.MOD[tab]STARTFEATS:3

                for three starting feats, total?

                Thanks,
                Allen

                PS: If anyone knows why my INTMAX0 in the feat definition didn't
                work, please let me know.
              • Ian Dale
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 16, 2002
                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "allencohn" <allen@c...> wrote:
                  > Thanks Ian for the idea...
                  >
                  > > You could modify the starting feats tag (or insert it if you
                  don't
                  > > already have it), to add an additional feat at lvl 1.
                  >
                  > Would that be
                  >
                  > Human.MOD[tab]STARTFEATS:1
                  >
                  > to add one feat...or
                  >
                  > Human.MOD[tab]STARTFEATS:3
                  >
                  > for three starting feats, total?

                  After trying the two, it looks like the second is what you want.
                  Seems that STARTFEATS is replaced.

                  -Ian