RE: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Spam

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
      > Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a
      > subscribed address, or something... This might limit
      > legitimate people from posting. That said, I'm for it
      > if we can avoid blocking people out.

      I suspect what a lot of them do is to subscribe via the e-mail subscription
      method, which, because it follows a very predictable pattern, is absurdly
      simple easy to do. That lets then run a script to create a bogus e-mail,
      send a subscription mail, respond to the yahoo verification, and then send
      their spam all in the space of a few minutes. I wrote a program at work to
      do most of this work (for internal use only!).

      I believe that Linda Kekumu over on the CC2 list uses a method that causes
      posts from new members to be routed to her, if they are legit, she sends it
      on to the list, if not, they hit the bit bucket. When she feels that they
      are actual contributors, she sets a flag on the account that allows them to
      send to the list directly.

      Effective, but time consuming for the moderator(s).

      Brass
    • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002

        Hmmm,

        I'm not sure how we're going to handle this one, I'm still trying to figure out how to do some things in the moderator area, I think the group owner can actually do far more, so I'll chat to Mynex about it later.  I may get you to contact Linda for me @ some point

        TM

        > Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a
        > subscribed address, or something...  This might limit
        > legitimate people from posting.  That said, I'm for it
        > if we can avoid blocking people out.

        I suspect what a lot of them do is to subscribe via the e-mail subscription
        method, which, because it follows a very predictable pattern, is absurdly
        simple easy to do.  That lets then run a script to create a bogus e-mail,
        send a subscription mail, respond to the yahoo verification, and then send
        their spam all in the space of a few minutes.  I wrote a program at work to
        do most of this work (for internal use only!).

        I believe that Linda Kekumu over on the CC2 list uses a method that causes
        posts from new members to be routed to her, if they are legit, she sends it
        on to the list, if not, they hit the bit bucket.  When she feels that they
        are actual contributors, she sets a flag on the account that allows them to
        send to the list directly.

        Effective, but time consuming for the moderator(s).

        Brass

      • Felipe F. Diniz
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003

          I have a feat that have to choose between any ranged weapon the char
          has weapon focus on. How can i do that?

          Any help would be appreciated.

          Felipe
          - OSCM Gibbon
        • Paul Grosse
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
            Look at the code for Weapon Specialization

            Lexmark
            > Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the
            > US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/sfVplB/TM

          • Felipe F. Diniz
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
              That's not the same issue. Weapon Specialization can be taken by ANY
              weapon the char has weapon focus on. I need it to be taken on any
              RANGED weapon the char has weapon focus on.

              The code on Weapon Specialization only limits to having Weapon Focus
              or not, it does not limit on weapon type.

              Felipe
              - OSCM Gibbon

              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                Try CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE.Ranged|1

                Not sure if it will work, but it might. :)

                Tir Gwaith
                PCGen Data SB and BoD

                > That's not the same issue. Weapon Specialization can be taken by ANY
                > weapon the char has weapon focus on. I need it to be taken on any
                > RANGED weapon the char has weapon focus on.
                >
                > The code on Weapon Specialization only limits to having Weapon Focus
                > or not, it does not limit on weapon type.
                >

                > Felipe
                > - OSCM Gibbon
              • Brad Franks
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                  Have you thought about TYPE=Ranged?

                  Just a noobie airing his own thoughts...

                  Brad Franks
                  PCGen TM Lemur
                  PCGen DOC Lemur

                  <pgrosse@m...> wrote:
                  > Look at the code for Weapon Specialization

                • Felipe F. Diniz
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                    Off course, but where?

                    I tried these:

                    CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE=Ranged)
                    CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE.Ranged)
                    CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus (TYPE=Ranged)
                    CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus (TYPE.Ranged)
                    CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus|TYPE=Ranged
                    CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus|TYPE.Ranged)

                    and none worked. To test this, my char has Weapon Focus on Longbow
                    and Battleaxe. Either it shows both weapons, or it shows neither.

                    I also tested using it on the ADD:FEAT statement, like this:

                    ADD:FEAT(MyFeat(TYPE=Ranged))

                    but it didn't split up the ranged weapons, jst showed TYPE=Ranged as
                    is.

                    Felipe
                    - OSCM Gibbon

                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Franks"
                    <bfranks@d...> wrote:
                    > Have you thought about TYPE=Ranged?
                    >
                    > Just a noobie airing his own thoughts...
                    >
                    > Brad Franks
                    > PCGen TM Lemur
                    > PCGen DOC Lemur

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • Felipe F. Diniz
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Felipe F. Diniz"
                      <fdiniz@i...> wrote:
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I have a feat that have to choose between any ranged weapon the
                      char
                      > has weapon focus on. How can i do that?
                      >
                      > Any help would be appreciated.
                      >

                      > Felipe
                      > - OSCM Gibbon

                      Bumping.

                      Just a note. This is not the same as Weapon Specialization, because i
                      can choose a ranged weapon to specialize, but i can't choose a ranged
                      weapon to apply my feat on. It must be a ranged weapon the char was
                      focus on.

                      Anyone? Pleeeeease.....

                      Felipe
                      - OSCM Gibbon
                    • Barak
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                        I don't think there's a way to make the program restrict it like that.
                        SOP on something like this in the past has been to code it as something
                        like this:

                        PREFEAT:1,Weapon Focus
                        PRETEXT:Wepon Focus must be with a ranged weapon

                        Barak
                        ~PCGen BoD
                        ~OS Silverback

                      • Felipe F. Diniz
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                          What i really need is a chooser. I can do
                          CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|FEAT=Weapon Focus but i can limit it no further
                          than this. If it's not possible to limit on the chooser, maybe i can
                          limit it on the bonus. It's a bonus to CRITMULT, like this:

                          BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%LIST|CRITMULT|1

                          Would there be any PRE that i could put here to make this bonus only
                          apply if the chosen proficiency is ranged?

                          Felipe
                          - OSCM Gibbon