RE: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Spam

  • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002

      Not really no, I do get notification now of all new members joining, as soon as a spammer joins they die 8-), it won't stop the non members from posting though 8-(

      Karianna

      TM

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
        > Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a
        > subscribed address, or something... This might limit
        > legitimate people from posting. That said, I'm for it
        > if we can avoid blocking people out.

        I suspect what a lot of them do is to subscribe via the e-mail subscription
        method, which, because it follows a very predictable pattern, is absurdly
        simple easy to do. That lets then run a script to create a bogus e-mail,
        send a subscription mail, respond to the yahoo verification, and then send
        their spam all in the space of a few minutes. I wrote a program at work to
        do most of this work (for internal use only!).

        I believe that Linda Kekumu over on the CC2 list uses a method that causes
        posts from new members to be routed to her, if they are legit, she sends it
        on to the list, if not, they hit the bit bucket. When she feels that they
        are actual contributors, she sets a flag on the account that allows them to
        send to the list directly.

        Effective, but time consuming for the moderator(s).

        Brass
      • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002

          Hmmm,

          I'm not sure how we're going to handle this one, I'm still trying to figure out how to do some things in the moderator area, I think the group owner can actually do far more, so I'll chat to Mynex about it later.  I may get you to contact Linda for me @ some point

          TM

          > Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a
          > subscribed address, or something...  This might limit
          > legitimate people from posting.  That said, I'm for it
          > if we can avoid blocking people out.

          I suspect what a lot of them do is to subscribe via the e-mail subscription
          method, which, because it follows a very predictable pattern, is absurdly
          simple easy to do.  That lets then run a script to create a bogus e-mail,
          send a subscription mail, respond to the yahoo verification, and then send
          their spam all in the space of a few minutes.  I wrote a program at work to
          do most of this work (for internal use only!).

          I believe that Linda Kekumu over on the CC2 list uses a method that causes
          posts from new members to be routed to her, if they are legit, she sends it
          on to the list, if not, they hit the bit bucket.  When she feels that they
          are actual contributors, she sets a flag on the account that allows them to
          send to the list directly.

          Effective, but time consuming for the moderator(s).

          Brass

        • Felipe F. Diniz
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003

            I have a feat that have to choose between any ranged weapon the char
            has weapon focus on. How can i do that?

            Any help would be appreciated.

            Felipe
            - OSCM Gibbon
          • Paul Grosse
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
              Look at the code for Weapon Specialization

              Lexmark
              > Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the
              > US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/sfVplB/TM

            • Felipe F. Diniz
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                That's not the same issue. Weapon Specialization can be taken by ANY
                weapon the char has weapon focus on. I need it to be taken on any
                RANGED weapon the char has weapon focus on.

                The code on Weapon Specialization only limits to having Weapon Focus
                or not, it does not limit on weapon type.

                Felipe
                - OSCM Gibbon

                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"

                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                  Try CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE.Ranged|1

                  Not sure if it will work, but it might. :)

                  Tir Gwaith
                  PCGen Data SB and BoD

                  > That's not the same issue. Weapon Specialization can be taken by ANY
                  > weapon the char has weapon focus on. I need it to be taken on any
                  > RANGED weapon the char has weapon focus on.
                  >
                  > The code on Weapon Specialization only limits to having Weapon Focus
                  > or not, it does not limit on weapon type.
                  >

                  > Felipe
                  > - OSCM Gibbon
                • Brad Franks
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                    Have you thought about TYPE=Ranged?

                    Just a noobie airing his own thoughts...

                    Brad Franks
                    PCGen TM Lemur
                    PCGen DOC Lemur

                    <pgrosse@m...> wrote:
                    > Look at the code for Weapon Specialization

                  • Felipe F. Diniz
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                      Off course, but where?

                      I tried these:

                      CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE=Ranged)
                      CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE.Ranged)
                      CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus (TYPE=Ranged)
                      CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus (TYPE.Ranged)
                      CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus|TYPE=Ranged
                      CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus|TYPE.Ranged)

                      and none worked. To test this, my char has Weapon Focus on Longbow
                      and Battleaxe. Either it shows both weapons, or it shows neither.

                      I also tested using it on the ADD:FEAT statement, like this:

                      ADD:FEAT(MyFeat(TYPE=Ranged))

                      but it didn't split up the ranged weapons, jst showed TYPE=Ranged as
                      is.

                      Felipe
                      - OSCM Gibbon

                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Franks"
                      <bfranks@d...> wrote:
                      > Have you thought about TYPE=Ranged?
                      >
                      > Just a noobie airing his own thoughts...
                      >
                      > Brad Franks
                      > PCGen TM Lemur
                      > PCGen DOC Lemur

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • Felipe F. Diniz
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Felipe F. Diniz"
                        <fdiniz@i...> wrote:
                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > I have a feat that have to choose between any ranged weapon the
                        char
                        > has weapon focus on. How can i do that?
                        >
                        > Any help would be appreciated.
                        >

                        > Felipe
                        > - OSCM Gibbon

                        Bumping.

                        Just a note. This is not the same as Weapon Specialization, because i
                        can choose a ranged weapon to specialize, but i can't choose a ranged
                        weapon to apply my feat on. It must be a ranged weapon the char was
                        focus on.

                        Anyone? Pleeeeease.....

                        Felipe
                        - OSCM Gibbon
                      • Barak
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                          I don't think there's a way to make the program restrict it like that.
                          SOP on something like this in the past has been to code it as something
                          like this:

                          PREFEAT:1,Weapon Focus
                          PRETEXT:Wepon Focus must be with a ranged weapon

                          Barak
                          ~PCGen BoD
                          ~OS Silverback

                        • Felipe F. Diniz
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                            What i really need is a chooser. I can do
                            CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|FEAT=Weapon Focus but i can limit it no further
                            than this. If it's not possible to limit on the chooser, maybe i can
                            limit it on the bonus. It's a bonus to CRITMULT, like this:

                            BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%LIST|CRITMULT|1

                            Would there be any PRE that i could put here to make this bonus only
                            apply if the chosen proficiency is ranged?

                            Felipe
                            - OSCM Gibbon