Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Spam

  • Lee Dowd
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
      Isn't there a way to check their real posting address
      vs what they list? If the two don't match up its a
      good indicater of a spammer. A delay in signing
      people up might work. I see a lot of the same
      spammers on several list and I think yahoo kills them
      fairly quickly (within a day or so) so delaying
      posting privledges for a couple of days might take
      care of most of them.
      Lee
      --- karianna03 <MartijnV@...> wrote:
      > Noted, will take this into account for my spammer
      > solution...
      >
      > Karianna
      > Moderator
      >
      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Brass Tilde"
      > <brasstilde@i...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Is this list set to members-only posting? If
      > not, I bet that'd
      > > > cut down on this spam we've been getting lately.
      > >
      > > If you mean restricting posts to yahoo groups
      > members only, I'd
      > appreciate
      > > it if you didn't do that, since I'm not a member,
      > nor will I be.
      > >
      > > If you're talking about membership to the list,
      > that won't work,
      > because one
      > > can write a script to subscribe to the list via
      > e-mail, respond to
      > the
      > > verification, send the spam, then unsubscribe.
      > Total of four e-
      > mails (if
      > > they even bother with the unsubscribe), and since
      > they are using
      > spoofed
      > > return addresses anyway...
      > >
      > > I believe the only way to stop them is to require
      > human
      > intervention before
      > > a user's first post goes out to the list. That's
      > more work for the
      > list
      > > owner/moderator.
      > >
      > > Brass

      http://faith.yahoo.com
    • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002

        Not really no, I do get notification now of all new members joining, as soon as a spammer joins they die 8-), it won't stop the non members from posting though 8-(

        Karianna

        TM

        --- karianna03 <MartijnV@...> wrote:
        > Noted, will take this into account for my spammer
        > solution...
        >
        > Karianna
        > Moderator
        >
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Brass Tilde"
        > <brasstilde@i...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Is this list set to members-only posting? If
        > not, I bet that'd
        > > > cut down on this spam we've been getting lately.
        > >
        > > If you mean restricting posts to yahoo groups
        > members only, I'd
        > appreciate
        > > it if you didn't do that, since I'm not a member,
        > nor will I be.
        > >
        > > If you're talking about membership to the list,
        > that won't work,
        > because one
        > > can write a script to subscribe to the list via
        > e-mail, respond to
        > the
        > > verification, send the spam, then unsubscribe.
        > Total of four e-
        > mails (if
        > > they even bother with the unsubscribe), and since
        > they are using
        > spoofed
        > > return addresses anyway...
        > >
        > > I believe the only way to stop them is to require
        > human
        > intervention before
        > > a user's first post goes out to the list.  That's
        > more work for the
        > list
        > > owner/moderator.
        > >
        > > Brass

      • Brass Tilde
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
          > Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a
          > subscribed address, or something... This might limit
          > legitimate people from posting. That said, I'm for it
          > if we can avoid blocking people out.

          I suspect what a lot of them do is to subscribe via the e-mail subscription
          method, which, because it follows a very predictable pattern, is absurdly
          simple easy to do. That lets then run a script to create a bogus e-mail,
          send a subscription mail, respond to the yahoo verification, and then send
          their spam all in the space of a few minutes. I wrote a program at work to
          do most of this work (for internal use only!).

          I believe that Linda Kekumu over on the CC2 list uses a method that causes
          posts from new members to be routed to her, if they are legit, she sends it
          on to the list, if not, they hit the bit bucket. When she feels that they
          are actual contributors, she sets a flag on the account that allows them to
          send to the list directly.

          Effective, but time consuming for the moderator(s).

          Brass
        • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002

            Hmmm,

            I'm not sure how we're going to handle this one, I'm still trying to figure out how to do some things in the moderator area, I think the group owner can actually do far more, so I'll chat to Mynex about it later.  I may get you to contact Linda for me @ some point

            TM

            > Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a
            > subscribed address, or something...  This might limit
            > legitimate people from posting.  That said, I'm for it
            > if we can avoid blocking people out.

            I suspect what a lot of them do is to subscribe via the e-mail subscription
            method, which, because it follows a very predictable pattern, is absurdly
            simple easy to do.  That lets then run a script to create a bogus e-mail,
            send a subscription mail, respond to the yahoo verification, and then send
            their spam all in the space of a few minutes.  I wrote a program at work to
            do most of this work (for internal use only!).

            I believe that Linda Kekumu over on the CC2 list uses a method that causes
            posts from new members to be routed to her, if they are legit, she sends it
            on to the list, if not, they hit the bit bucket.  When she feels that they
            are actual contributors, she sets a flag on the account that allows them to
            send to the list directly.

            Effective, but time consuming for the moderator(s).

            Brass

          • Felipe F. Diniz
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003

              I have a feat that have to choose between any ranged weapon the char
              has weapon focus on. How can i do that?

              Any help would be appreciated.

              Felipe
              - OSCM Gibbon
            • Paul Grosse
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                Look at the code for Weapon Specialization

                Lexmark
                > Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the
                > US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/sfVplB/TM

              • Felipe F. Diniz
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                  That's not the same issue. Weapon Specialization can be taken by ANY
                  weapon the char has weapon focus on. I need it to be taken on any
                  RANGED weapon the char has weapon focus on.

                  The code on Weapon Specialization only limits to having Weapon Focus
                  or not, it does not limit on weapon type.

                  Felipe
                  - OSCM Gibbon

                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                    Try CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE.Ranged|1

                    Not sure if it will work, but it might. :)

                    Tir Gwaith
                    PCGen Data SB and BoD

                    > That's not the same issue. Weapon Specialization can be taken by ANY
                    > weapon the char has weapon focus on. I need it to be taken on any
                    > RANGED weapon the char has weapon focus on.
                    >
                    > The code on Weapon Specialization only limits to having Weapon Focus
                    > or not, it does not limit on weapon type.
                    >

                    > Felipe
                    > - OSCM Gibbon
                  • Brad Franks
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                      Have you thought about TYPE=Ranged?

                      Just a noobie airing his own thoughts...

                      Brad Franks
                      PCGen TM Lemur
                      PCGen DOC Lemur

                      <pgrosse@m...> wrote:
                      > Look at the code for Weapon Specialization

                    • Felipe F. Diniz
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                        Off course, but where?

                        I tried these:

                        CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE=Ranged)
                        CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE.Ranged)
                        CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus (TYPE=Ranged)
                        CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus (TYPE.Ranged)
                        CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus|TYPE=Ranged
                        CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus|TYPE.Ranged)

                        and none worked. To test this, my char has Weapon Focus on Longbow
                        and Battleaxe. Either it shows both weapons, or it shows neither.

                        I also tested using it on the ADD:FEAT statement, like this:

                        ADD:FEAT(MyFeat(TYPE=Ranged))

                        but it didn't split up the ranged weapons, jst showed TYPE=Ranged as
                        is.

                        Felipe
                        - OSCM Gibbon

                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Franks"
                        <bfranks@d...> wrote:
                        > Have you thought about TYPE=Ranged?
                        >
                        > Just a noobie airing his own thoughts...
                        >
                        > Brad Franks
                        > PCGen TM Lemur
                        > PCGen DOC Lemur

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • Felipe F. Diniz
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Felipe F. Diniz"
                          <fdiniz@i...> wrote:
                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > I have a feat that have to choose between any ranged weapon the
                          char
                          > has weapon focus on. How can i do that?
                          >
                          > Any help would be appreciated.
                          >

                          > Felipe
                          > - OSCM Gibbon

                          Bumping.

                          Just a note. This is not the same as Weapon Specialization, because i
                          can choose a ranged weapon to specialize, but i can't choose a ranged
                          weapon to apply my feat on. It must be a ranged weapon the char was
                          focus on.

                          Anyone? Pleeeeease.....

                          Felipe
                          - OSCM Gibbon
                        • Barak
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                            I don't think there's a way to make the program restrict it like that.
                            SOP on something like this in the past has been to code it as something
                            like this:

                            PREFEAT:1,Weapon Focus
                            PRETEXT:Wepon Focus must be with a ranged weapon

                            Barak
                            ~PCGen BoD
                            ~OS Silverback

                          • Felipe F. Diniz
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                              What i really need is a chooser. I can do
                              CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|FEAT=Weapon Focus but i can limit it no further
                              than this. If it's not possible to limit on the chooser, maybe i can
                              limit it on the bonus. It's a bonus to CRITMULT, like this:

                              BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%LIST|CRITMULT|1

                              Would there be any PRE that i could put here to make this bonus only
                              apply if the chosen proficiency is ranged?

                              Felipe
                              - OSCM Gibbon