Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Spam

  • Dan Young
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
      Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a subscribed address,
      or something... This might limit legitimate people from posting. That
      said, I'm for it if we can avoid blocking people out.

      Dan

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002

        Check the posts ;p, I've replied to that user as well, saying I'd try to take that into consideration 8-)

        But thank you for pointing it out, very thoughtful of you!!! 8-)

        BTW, it's going to take a while to come up with a proper solution, I'll just heavily police in the mean time.

        Karianna

        Mod

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
          I only saw the first message.  I received the second when my client checked my Inbox after sending my message.  Heh.

          Dan
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
            Isn't there a way to check their real posting address
            vs what they list? If the two don't match up its a
            good indicater of a spammer. A delay in signing
            people up might work. I see a lot of the same
            spammers on several list and I think yahoo kills them
            fairly quickly (within a day or so) so delaying
            posting privledges for a couple of days might take
            care of most of them.
            Lee
            --- karianna03 <MartijnV@...> wrote:
            > Noted, will take this into account for my spammer
            > solution...
            >
            > Karianna
            > Moderator
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Brass Tilde"
            > <brasstilde@i...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Is this list set to members-only posting? If
            > not, I bet that'd
            > > > cut down on this spam we've been getting lately.
            > >
            > > If you mean restricting posts to yahoo groups
            > members only, I'd
            > appreciate
            > > it if you didn't do that, since I'm not a member,
            > nor will I be.
            > >
            > > If you're talking about membership to the list,
            > that won't work,
            > because one
            > > can write a script to subscribe to the list via
            > e-mail, respond to
            > the
            > > verification, send the spam, then unsubscribe.
            > Total of four e-
            > mails (if
            > > they even bother with the unsubscribe), and since
            > they are using
            > spoofed
            > > return addresses anyway...
            > >
            > > I believe the only way to stop them is to require
            > human
            > intervention before
            > > a user's first post goes out to the list. That's
            > more work for the
            > list
            > > owner/moderator.
            > >
            > > Brass

            http://faith.yahoo.com
          • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002

              Not really no, I do get notification now of all new members joining, as soon as a spammer joins they die 8-), it won't stop the non members from posting though 8-(

              Karianna

              TM

              --- karianna03 <MartijnV@...> wrote:
              > Noted, will take this into account for my spammer
              > solution...
              >
              > Karianna
              > Moderator
              >
              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Brass Tilde"
              > <brasstilde@i...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Is this list set to members-only posting? If
              > not, I bet that'd
              > > > cut down on this spam we've been getting lately.
              > >
              > > If you mean restricting posts to yahoo groups
              > members only, I'd
              > appreciate
              > > it if you didn't do that, since I'm not a member,
              > nor will I be.
              > >
              > > If you're talking about membership to the list,
              > that won't work,
              > because one
              > > can write a script to subscribe to the list via
              > e-mail, respond to
              > the
              > > verification, send the spam, then unsubscribe.
              > Total of four e-
              > mails (if
              > > they even bother with the unsubscribe), and since
              > they are using
              > spoofed
              > > return addresses anyway...
              > >
              > > I believe the only way to stop them is to require
              > human
              > intervention before
              > > a user's first post goes out to the list.  That's
              > more work for the
              > list
              > > owner/moderator.
              > >
              > > Brass

            • Brass Tilde
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
                > Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a
                > subscribed address, or something... This might limit
                > legitimate people from posting. That said, I'm for it
                > if we can avoid blocking people out.

                I suspect what a lot of them do is to subscribe via the e-mail subscription
                method, which, because it follows a very predictable pattern, is absurdly
                simple easy to do. That lets then run a script to create a bogus e-mail,
                send a subscription mail, respond to the yahoo verification, and then send
                their spam all in the space of a few minutes. I wrote a program at work to
                do most of this work (for internal use only!).

                I believe that Linda Kekumu over on the CC2 list uses a method that causes
                posts from new members to be routed to her, if they are legit, she sends it
                on to the list, if not, they hit the bit bucket. When she feels that they
                are actual contributors, she sets a flag on the account that allows them to
                send to the list directly.

                Effective, but time consuming for the moderator(s).

                Brass
              • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002

                  Hmmm,

                  I'm not sure how we're going to handle this one, I'm still trying to figure out how to do some things in the moderator area, I think the group owner can actually do far more, so I'll chat to Mynex about it later.  I may get you to contact Linda for me @ some point

                  TM

                  > Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a
                  > subscribed address, or something...  This might limit
                  > legitimate people from posting.  That said, I'm for it
                  > if we can avoid blocking people out.

                  I suspect what a lot of them do is to subscribe via the e-mail subscription
                  method, which, because it follows a very predictable pattern, is absurdly
                  simple easy to do.  That lets then run a script to create a bogus e-mail,
                  send a subscription mail, respond to the yahoo verification, and then send
                  their spam all in the space of a few minutes.  I wrote a program at work to
                  do most of this work (for internal use only!).

                  I believe that Linda Kekumu over on the CC2 list uses a method that causes
                  posts from new members to be routed to her, if they are legit, she sends it
                  on to the list, if not, they hit the bit bucket.  When she feels that they
                  are actual contributors, she sets a flag on the account that allows them to
                  send to the list directly.

                  Effective, but time consuming for the moderator(s).

                  Brass

                • Felipe F. Diniz
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                    Hi,

                    I have a feat that have to choose between any ranged weapon the char
                    has weapon focus on. How can i do that?

                    Any help would be appreciated.

                    Felipe
                    - OSCM Gibbon
                  • Paul Grosse
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                      Look at the code for Weapon Specialization

                      Lexmark
                      > Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the
                      > US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/sfVplB/TM

                    • Felipe F. Diniz
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                        That's not the same issue. Weapon Specialization can be taken by ANY
                        weapon the char has weapon focus on. I need it to be taken on any
                        RANGED weapon the char has weapon focus on.

                        The code on Weapon Specialization only limits to having Weapon Focus
                        or not, it does not limit on weapon type.

                        Felipe
                        - OSCM Gibbon

                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                          Try CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE.Ranged|1

                          Not sure if it will work, but it might. :)

                          Tir Gwaith
                          PCGen Data SB and BoD

                          > That's not the same issue. Weapon Specialization can be taken by ANY
                          > weapon the char has weapon focus on. I need it to be taken on any
                          > RANGED weapon the char has weapon focus on.
                          >
                          > The code on Weapon Specialization only limits to having Weapon Focus
                          > or not, it does not limit on weapon type.
                          >

                          > Felipe
                          > - OSCM Gibbon
                        • Brad Franks
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                            Have you thought about TYPE=Ranged?

                            Just a noobie airing his own thoughts...

                            Brad Franks
                            PCGen TM Lemur
                            PCGen DOC Lemur

                            <pgrosse@m...> wrote:
                            > Look at the code for Weapon Specialization

                          • Felipe F. Diniz
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                              Off course, but where?

                              I tried these:

                              CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE=Ranged)
                              CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE.Ranged)
                              CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus (TYPE=Ranged)
                              CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus (TYPE.Ranged)
                              CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus|TYPE=Ranged
                              CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus|TYPE.Ranged)

                              and none worked. To test this, my char has Weapon Focus on Longbow
                              and Battleaxe. Either it shows both weapons, or it shows neither.

                              I also tested using it on the ADD:FEAT statement, like this:

                              ADD:FEAT(MyFeat(TYPE=Ranged))

                              but it didn't split up the ranged weapons, jst showed TYPE=Ranged as
                              is.

                              Felipe
                              - OSCM Gibbon

                              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Franks"
                              <bfranks@d...> wrote:
                              > Have you thought about TYPE=Ranged?
                              >
                              > Just a noobie airing his own thoughts...
                              >
                              > Brad Franks
                              > PCGen TM Lemur
                              > PCGen DOC Lemur

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                            • Felipe F. Diniz
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Felipe F. Diniz"
                                <fdiniz@i...> wrote:
                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > I have a feat that have to choose between any ranged weapon the
                                char
                                > has weapon focus on. How can i do that?
                                >
                                > Any help would be appreciated.
                                >

                                > Felipe
                                > - OSCM Gibbon

                                Bumping.

                                Just a note. This is not the same as Weapon Specialization, because i
                                can choose a ranged weapon to specialize, but i can't choose a ranged
                                weapon to apply my feat on. It must be a ranged weapon the char was
                                focus on.

                                Anyone? Pleeeeease.....

                                Felipe
                                - OSCM Gibbon
                              • Barak
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                                  I don't think there's a way to make the program restrict it like that.
                                  SOP on something like this in the past has been to code it as something
                                  like this:

                                  PREFEAT:1,Weapon Focus
                                  PRETEXT:Wepon Focus must be with a ranged weapon

                                  Barak
                                  ~PCGen BoD
                                  ~OS Silverback

                                • Felipe F. Diniz
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                                    What i really need is a chooser. I can do
                                    CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|FEAT=Weapon Focus but i can limit it no further
                                    than this. If it's not possible to limit on the chooser, maybe i can
                                    limit it on the bonus. It's a bonus to CRITMULT, like this:

                                    BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%LIST|CRITMULT|1

                                    Would there be any PRE that i could put here to make this bonus only
                                    apply if the chosen proficiency is ranged?

                                    Felipe
                                    - OSCM Gibbon