Spam

  • Timothy J. Lanza
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 21, 2002
      Is this list set to members-only posting? If not, I bet that'd cut down on this spam we've been getting lately.

      --
      Timothy J. Lanza
    • Brass Tilde
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 22, 2002

        > Is this list set to members-only posting? If not, I bet that'd
        > cut down on this spam we've been getting lately.

        If you mean restricting posts to yahoo groups members only, I'd appreciate
        it if you didn't do that, since I'm not a member, nor will I be.

        If you're talking about membership to the list, that won't work, because one
        can write a script to subscribe to the list via e-mail, respond to the
        verification, send the spam, then unsubscribe. Total of four e-mails (if
        they even bother with the unsubscribe), and since they are using spoofed
        return addresses anyway...

        I believe the only way to stop them is to require human intervention before
        a user's first post goes out to the list. That's more work for the list
        owner/moderator.

        Brass
      • karianna03
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
          I'm looking at setting this up now.

          Karianna
          Newly made Moderator

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Timothy J. Lanza" <tjlanza@p...>
          wrote:
          > Is this list set to members-only posting? If not, I bet that'd cut
          down on this spam we've been getting lately.

          > --
          > Timothy J. Lanza
          > "When we can't dream any longer, we die." - Emma Goldman
        • karianna03
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
            Noted, will take this into account for my spammer solution...

            Karianna
            Moderator

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@i...> wrote:

            > > Is this list set to members-only posting? If not, I bet that'd
            > > cut down on this spam we've been getting lately.
            >
            > If you mean restricting posts to yahoo groups members only, I'd
            appreciate
            > it if you didn't do that, since I'm not a member, nor will I be.
            >
            > If you're talking about membership to the list, that won't work,
            because one
            > can write a script to subscribe to the list via e-mail, respond to
            the
            > verification, send the spam, then unsubscribe. Total of four e-
            mails (if
            > they even bother with the unsubscribe), and since they are using
            spoofed
            > return addresses anyway...
            >
            > I believe the only way to stop them is to require human
            intervention before
            > a user's first post goes out to the list. That's more work for the
            list
            > owner/moderator.
            >
            > Brass
          • Dan Young
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
              Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a subscribed address,
              or something... This might limit legitimate people from posting. That
              said, I'm for it if we can avoid blocking people out.

              Dan

              > > Is this list set to members-only posting? If not, I bet that'd cut
              > down on this spam we've been getting lately.
              > >
              > > --
              > > Timothy J. Lanza
              > > "When we can't dream any longer, we die." - Emma Goldman

            • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002

                Check the posts ;p, I've replied to that user as well, saying I'd try to take that into consideration 8-)

                But thank you for pointing it out, very thoughtful of you!!! 8-)

                BTW, it's going to take a while to come up with a proper solution, I'll just heavily police in the mean time.

                Karianna

                Mod

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
                  I only saw the first message.  I received the second when my client checked my Inbox after sending my message.  Heh.

                  Dan
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
                    Isn't there a way to check their real posting address
                    vs what they list? If the two don't match up its a
                    good indicater of a spammer. A delay in signing
                    people up might work. I see a lot of the same
                    spammers on several list and I think yahoo kills them
                    fairly quickly (within a day or so) so delaying
                    posting privledges for a couple of days might take
                    care of most of them.
                    Lee
                    --- karianna03 <MartijnV@...> wrote:
                    > Noted, will take this into account for my spammer
                    > solution...
                    >
                    > Karianna
                    > Moderator
                    >
                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Brass Tilde"
                    > <brasstilde@i...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Is this list set to members-only posting? If
                    > not, I bet that'd
                    > > > cut down on this spam we've been getting lately.
                    > >
                    > > If you mean restricting posts to yahoo groups
                    > members only, I'd
                    > appreciate
                    > > it if you didn't do that, since I'm not a member,
                    > nor will I be.
                    > >
                    > > If you're talking about membership to the list,
                    > that won't work,
                    > because one
                    > > can write a script to subscribe to the list via
                    > e-mail, respond to
                    > the
                    > > verification, send the spam, then unsubscribe.
                    > Total of four e-
                    > mails (if
                    > > they even bother with the unsubscribe), and since
                    > they are using
                    > spoofed
                    > > return addresses anyway...
                    > >
                    > > I believe the only way to stop them is to require
                    > human
                    > intervention before
                    > > a user's first post goes out to the list. That's
                    > more work for the
                    > list
                    > > owner/moderator.
                    > >
                    > > Brass

                    http://faith.yahoo.com
                  • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002

                      Not really no, I do get notification now of all new members joining, as soon as a spammer joins they die 8-), it won't stop the non members from posting though 8-(

                      Karianna

                      TM

                      --- karianna03 <MartijnV@...> wrote:
                      > Noted, will take this into account for my spammer
                      > solution...
                      >
                      > Karianna
                      > Moderator
                      >
                      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Brass Tilde"
                      > <brasstilde@i...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Is this list set to members-only posting? If
                      > not, I bet that'd
                      > > > cut down on this spam we've been getting lately.
                      > >
                      > > If you mean restricting posts to yahoo groups
                      > members only, I'd
                      > appreciate
                      > > it if you didn't do that, since I'm not a member,
                      > nor will I be.
                      > >
                      > > If you're talking about membership to the list,
                      > that won't work,
                      > because one
                      > > can write a script to subscribe to the list via
                      > e-mail, respond to
                      > the
                      > > verification, send the spam, then unsubscribe.
                      > Total of four e-
                      > mails (if
                      > > they even bother with the unsubscribe), and since
                      > they are using
                      > spoofed
                      > > return addresses anyway...
                      > >
                      > > I believe the only way to stop them is to require
                      > human
                      > intervention before
                      > > a user's first post goes out to the list.  That's
                      > more work for the
                      > list
                      > > owner/moderator.
                      > >
                      > > Brass

                    • Brass Tilde
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
                        > Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a
                        > subscribed address, or something... This might limit
                        > legitimate people from posting. That said, I'm for it
                        > if we can avoid blocking people out.

                        I suspect what a lot of them do is to subscribe via the e-mail subscription
                        method, which, because it follows a very predictable pattern, is absurdly
                        simple easy to do. That lets then run a script to create a bogus e-mail,
                        send a subscription mail, respond to the yahoo verification, and then send
                        their spam all in the space of a few minutes. I wrote a program at work to
                        do most of this work (for internal use only!).

                        I believe that Linda Kekumu over on the CC2 list uses a method that causes
                        posts from new members to be routed to her, if they are legit, she sends it
                        on to the list, if not, they hit the bit bucket. When she feels that they
                        are actual contributors, she sets a flag on the account that allows them to
                        send to the list directly.

                        Effective, but time consuming for the moderator(s).

                        Brass
                      • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002

                          Hmmm,

                          I'm not sure how we're going to handle this one, I'm still trying to figure out how to do some things in the moderator area, I think the group owner can actually do far more, so I'll chat to Mynex about it later.  I may get you to contact Linda for me @ some point

                          TM

                          > Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a
                          > subscribed address, or something...  This might limit
                          > legitimate people from posting.  That said, I'm for it
                          > if we can avoid blocking people out.

                          I suspect what a lot of them do is to subscribe via the e-mail subscription
                          method, which, because it follows a very predictable pattern, is absurdly
                          simple easy to do.  That lets then run a script to create a bogus e-mail,
                          send a subscription mail, respond to the yahoo verification, and then send
                          their spam all in the space of a few minutes.  I wrote a program at work to
                          do most of this work (for internal use only!).

                          I believe that Linda Kekumu over on the CC2 list uses a method that causes
                          posts from new members to be routed to her, if they are legit, she sends it
                          on to the list, if not, they hit the bit bucket.  When she feels that they
                          are actual contributors, she sets a flag on the account that allows them to
                          send to the list directly.

                          Effective, but time consuming for the moderator(s).

                          Brass

                        • Felipe F. Diniz
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003

                            I have a feat that have to choose between any ranged weapon the char
                            has weapon focus on. How can i do that?

                            Any help would be appreciated.

                            Felipe
                            - OSCM Gibbon
                          • Paul Grosse
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                              Look at the code for Weapon Specialization

                              Lexmark
                              > Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the
                              > US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/sfVplB/TM

                            • Felipe F. Diniz
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                                That's not the same issue. Weapon Specialization can be taken by ANY
                                weapon the char has weapon focus on. I need it to be taken on any
                                RANGED weapon the char has weapon focus on.

                                The code on Weapon Specialization only limits to having Weapon Focus
                                or not, it does not limit on weapon type.

                                Felipe
                                - OSCM Gibbon

                                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"

                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                                  Try CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE.Ranged|1

                                  Not sure if it will work, but it might. :)

                                  Tir Gwaith
                                  PCGen Data SB and BoD

                                  > That's not the same issue. Weapon Specialization can be taken by ANY
                                  > weapon the char has weapon focus on. I need it to be taken on any
                                  > RANGED weapon the char has weapon focus on.
                                  >
                                  > The code on Weapon Specialization only limits to having Weapon Focus
                                  > or not, it does not limit on weapon type.
                                  >

                                  > Felipe
                                  > - OSCM Gibbon
                                • Brad Franks
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                                    Have you thought about TYPE=Ranged?

                                    Just a noobie airing his own thoughts...

                                    Brad Franks
                                    PCGen TM Lemur
                                    PCGen DOC Lemur

                                    <pgrosse@m...> wrote:
                                    > Look at the code for Weapon Specialization

                                  • Felipe F. Diniz
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                      Off course, but where?

                                      I tried these:

                                      CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE=Ranged)
                                      CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE.Ranged)
                                      CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus (TYPE=Ranged)
                                      CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus (TYPE.Ranged)
                                      CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus|TYPE=Ranged
                                      CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus|TYPE.Ranged)

                                      and none worked. To test this, my char has Weapon Focus on Longbow
                                      and Battleaxe. Either it shows both weapons, or it shows neither.

                                      I also tested using it on the ADD:FEAT statement, like this:

                                      ADD:FEAT(MyFeat(TYPE=Ranged))

                                      but it didn't split up the ranged weapons, jst showed TYPE=Ranged as
                                      is.

                                      Felipe
                                      - OSCM Gibbon

                                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Franks"
                                      <bfranks@d...> wrote:
                                      > Have you thought about TYPE=Ranged?
                                      >
                                      > Just a noobie airing his own thoughts...
                                      >
                                      > Brad Franks
                                      > PCGen TM Lemur
                                      > PCGen DOC Lemur

                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                    • Felipe F. Diniz
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Felipe F. Diniz"
                                        <fdiniz@i...> wrote:
                                        > Hi,
                                        >
                                        > I have a feat that have to choose between any ranged weapon the
                                        char
                                        > has weapon focus on. How can i do that?
                                        >
                                        > Any help would be appreciated.
                                        >

                                        > Felipe
                                        > - OSCM Gibbon

                                        Bumping.

                                        Just a note. This is not the same as Weapon Specialization, because i
                                        can choose a ranged weapon to specialize, but i can't choose a ranged
                                        weapon to apply my feat on. It must be a ranged weapon the char was
                                        focus on.

                                        Anyone? Pleeeeease.....

                                        Felipe
                                        - OSCM Gibbon
                                      • Barak
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                                          I don't think there's a way to make the program restrict it like that.
                                          SOP on something like this in the past has been to code it as something
                                          like this:

                                          PREFEAT:1,Weapon Focus
                                          PRETEXT:Wepon Focus must be with a ranged weapon

                                          Barak
                                          ~PCGen BoD
                                          ~OS Silverback

                                        • Felipe F. Diniz
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                                            What i really need is a chooser. I can do
                                            CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|FEAT=Weapon Focus but i can limit it no further
                                            than this. If it's not possible to limit on the chooser, maybe i can
                                            limit it on the bonus. It's a bonus to CRITMULT, like this:

                                            BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%LIST|CRITMULT|1

                                            Would there be any PRE that i could put here to make this bonus only
                                            apply if the chosen proficiency is ranged?

                                            Felipe
                                            - OSCM Gibbon