Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Feat problem

  • Devon Jones
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 18, 2002
      ok
      so I looked at the Alchemy & Herbalists list files, and at least witht
      he feats, they were very wrong. I have managed to correct most of them
      on my local system, but there is one problem I don't quite know how to fix:

      There is a feat called brew ingestibles. this feat gives you the
      ability to make certain things, but it has an interesting feature. if
      you have brew ingestibles, and you happen to have 3 levels of spell
      caster, it gives you the virtual feat brew potion.

      so - how do I get it to do this? 3 spellcaster levels are not a
      prerequisite for the feat - it just gives you the virtual feat once you
      have hit that level.

      Also, when I have finished repairing these files, where do I send them.
      I have cvs access to the pcgen code, but not the list files.

      Thanks
      Soulcatcher (Devon Jones)
      PCGen Code Monkey
    • Mynex
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 20, 2002
        Devon,

        Sorry to take so long, life's been hectic... anyways.. to give
        them the virtual feat at the level they are supposed to, you simply put;
        VFEAT:>feat_name<
        Or
        VFEAT:>Feat_name_1<|>feat_name_2<|>etc<

        As for what to do when done, send them to Tir and I. We'll both go over
        them, make sure things are good to go, and if they pass, then one of us
        will send them to the publisher for approval.

        Mynex
        - #1 Evil Assistant
        - List & Doc Silverback
        - Reviewer RPG Reviews

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 21, 2002
          Is this list set to members-only posting? If not, I bet that'd cut down on this spam we've been getting lately.

          --
          Timothy J. Lanza
        • Brass Tilde
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 22, 2002

            > Is this list set to members-only posting? If not, I bet that'd
            > cut down on this spam we've been getting lately.

            If you mean restricting posts to yahoo groups members only, I'd appreciate
            it if you didn't do that, since I'm not a member, nor will I be.

            If you're talking about membership to the list, that won't work, because one
            can write a script to subscribe to the list via e-mail, respond to the
            verification, send the spam, then unsubscribe. Total of four e-mails (if
            they even bother with the unsubscribe), and since they are using spoofed
            return addresses anyway...

            I believe the only way to stop them is to require human intervention before
            a user's first post goes out to the list. That's more work for the list
            owner/moderator.

            Brass
          • karianna03
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
              I'm looking at setting this up now.

              Karianna
              Newly made Moderator

              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Timothy J. Lanza" <tjlanza@p...>
              wrote:
              > Is this list set to members-only posting? If not, I bet that'd cut
              down on this spam we've been getting lately.

              > --
              > Timothy J. Lanza
              > "When we can't dream any longer, we die." - Emma Goldman
            • karianna03
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
                Noted, will take this into account for my spammer solution...

                Karianna
                Moderator

                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@i...> wrote:

                > > Is this list set to members-only posting? If not, I bet that'd
                > > cut down on this spam we've been getting lately.
                >
                > If you mean restricting posts to yahoo groups members only, I'd
                appreciate
                > it if you didn't do that, since I'm not a member, nor will I be.
                >
                > If you're talking about membership to the list, that won't work,
                because one
                > can write a script to subscribe to the list via e-mail, respond to
                the
                > verification, send the spam, then unsubscribe. Total of four e-
                mails (if
                > they even bother with the unsubscribe), and since they are using
                spoofed
                > return addresses anyway...
                >
                > I believe the only way to stop them is to require human
                intervention before
                > a user's first post goes out to the list. That's more work for the
                list
                > owner/moderator.
                >
                > Brass
              • Dan Young
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
                  Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a subscribed address,
                  or something... This might limit legitimate people from posting. That
                  said, I'm for it if we can avoid blocking people out.

                  Dan

                  > > Is this list set to members-only posting? If not, I bet that'd cut
                  > down on this spam we've been getting lately.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Timothy J. Lanza
                  > > "When we can't dream any longer, we die." - Emma Goldman

                • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002

                    Check the posts ;p, I've replied to that user as well, saying I'd try to take that into consideration 8-)

                    But thank you for pointing it out, very thoughtful of you!!! 8-)

                    BTW, it's going to take a while to come up with a proper solution, I'll just heavily police in the mean time.

                    Karianna

                    Mod

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
                      I only saw the first message.  I received the second when my client checked my Inbox after sending my message.  Heh.

                      Dan
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
                        Isn't there a way to check their real posting address
                        vs what they list? If the two don't match up its a
                        good indicater of a spammer. A delay in signing
                        people up might work. I see a lot of the same
                        spammers on several list and I think yahoo kills them
                        fairly quickly (within a day or so) so delaying
                        posting privledges for a couple of days might take
                        care of most of them.
                        Lee
                        --- karianna03 <MartijnV@...> wrote:
                        > Noted, will take this into account for my spammer
                        > solution...
                        >
                        > Karianna
                        > Moderator
                        >
                        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Brass Tilde"
                        > <brasstilde@i...> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Is this list set to members-only posting? If
                        > not, I bet that'd
                        > > > cut down on this spam we've been getting lately.
                        > >
                        > > If you mean restricting posts to yahoo groups
                        > members only, I'd
                        > appreciate
                        > > it if you didn't do that, since I'm not a member,
                        > nor will I be.
                        > >
                        > > If you're talking about membership to the list,
                        > that won't work,
                        > because one
                        > > can write a script to subscribe to the list via
                        > e-mail, respond to
                        > the
                        > > verification, send the spam, then unsubscribe.
                        > Total of four e-
                        > mails (if
                        > > they even bother with the unsubscribe), and since
                        > they are using
                        > spoofed
                        > > return addresses anyway...
                        > >
                        > > I believe the only way to stop them is to require
                        > human
                        > intervention before
                        > > a user's first post goes out to the list. That's
                        > more work for the
                        > list
                        > > owner/moderator.
                        > >
                        > > Brass

                        http://faith.yahoo.com
                      • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002

                          Not really no, I do get notification now of all new members joining, as soon as a spammer joins they die 8-), it won't stop the non members from posting though 8-(

                          Karianna

                          TM

                          --- karianna03 <MartijnV@...> wrote:
                          > Noted, will take this into account for my spammer
                          > solution...
                          >
                          > Karianna
                          > Moderator
                          >
                          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Brass Tilde"
                          > <brasstilde@i...> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Is this list set to members-only posting? If
                          > not, I bet that'd
                          > > > cut down on this spam we've been getting lately.
                          > >
                          > > If you mean restricting posts to yahoo groups
                          > members only, I'd
                          > appreciate
                          > > it if you didn't do that, since I'm not a member,
                          > nor will I be.
                          > >
                          > > If you're talking about membership to the list,
                          > that won't work,
                          > because one
                          > > can write a script to subscribe to the list via
                          > e-mail, respond to
                          > the
                          > > verification, send the spam, then unsubscribe.
                          > Total of four e-
                          > mails (if
                          > > they even bother with the unsubscribe), and since
                          > they are using
                          > spoofed
                          > > return addresses anyway...
                          > >
                          > > I believe the only way to stop them is to require
                          > human
                          > intervention before
                          > > a user's first post goes out to the list.  That's
                          > more work for the
                          > list
                          > > owner/moderator.
                          > >
                          > > Brass

                        • Brass Tilde
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002
                            > Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a
                            > subscribed address, or something... This might limit
                            > legitimate people from posting. That said, I'm for it
                            > if we can avoid blocking people out.

                            I suspect what a lot of them do is to subscribe via the e-mail subscription
                            method, which, because it follows a very predictable pattern, is absurdly
                            simple easy to do. That lets then run a script to create a bogus e-mail,
                            send a subscription mail, respond to the yahoo verification, and then send
                            their spam all in the space of a few minutes. I wrote a program at work to
                            do most of this work (for internal use only!).

                            I believe that Linda Kekumu over on the CC2 list uses a method that causes
                            posts from new members to be routed to her, if they are legit, she sends it
                            on to the list, if not, they hit the bit bucket. When she feels that they
                            are actual contributors, she sets a flag on the account that allows them to
                            send to the list directly.

                            Effective, but time consuming for the moderator(s).

                            Brass
                          • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 15, 2002

                              Hmmm,

                              I'm not sure how we're going to handle this one, I'm still trying to figure out how to do some things in the moderator area, I think the group owner can actually do far more, so I'll chat to Mynex about it later.  I may get you to contact Linda for me @ some point

                              TM

                              > Um, someone responded to that post that they never use a
                              > subscribed address, or something...  This might limit
                              > legitimate people from posting.  That said, I'm for it
                              > if we can avoid blocking people out.

                              I suspect what a lot of them do is to subscribe via the e-mail subscription
                              method, which, because it follows a very predictable pattern, is absurdly
                              simple easy to do.  That lets then run a script to create a bogus e-mail,
                              send a subscription mail, respond to the yahoo verification, and then send
                              their spam all in the space of a few minutes.  I wrote a program at work to
                              do most of this work (for internal use only!).

                              I believe that Linda Kekumu over on the CC2 list uses a method that causes
                              posts from new members to be routed to her, if they are legit, she sends it
                              on to the list, if not, they hit the bit bucket.  When she feels that they
                              are actual contributors, she sets a flag on the account that allows them to
                              send to the list directly.

                              Effective, but time consuming for the moderator(s).

                              Brass

                            • Felipe F. Diniz
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003

                                I have a feat that have to choose between any ranged weapon the char
                                has weapon focus on. How can i do that?

                                Any help would be appreciated.

                                Felipe
                                - OSCM Gibbon
                              • Paul Grosse
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                                  Look at the code for Weapon Specialization

                                  Lexmark
                                  > Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the
                                  > US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                                  > http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/sfVplB/TM

                                • Felipe F. Diniz
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                                    That's not the same issue. Weapon Specialization can be taken by ANY
                                    weapon the char has weapon focus on. I need it to be taken on any
                                    RANGED weapon the char has weapon focus on.

                                    The code on Weapon Specialization only limits to having Weapon Focus
                                    or not, it does not limit on weapon type.

                                    Felipe
                                    - OSCM Gibbon

                                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                                      Try CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE.Ranged|1

                                      Not sure if it will work, but it might. :)

                                      Tir Gwaith
                                      PCGen Data SB and BoD

                                      > That's not the same issue. Weapon Specialization can be taken by ANY
                                      > weapon the char has weapon focus on. I need it to be taken on any
                                      > RANGED weapon the char has weapon focus on.
                                      >
                                      > The code on Weapon Specialization only limits to having Weapon Focus
                                      > or not, it does not limit on weapon type.
                                      >

                                      > Felipe
                                      > - OSCM Gibbon
                                    • Brad Franks
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                                        Have you thought about TYPE=Ranged?

                                        Just a noobie airing his own thoughts...

                                        Brad Franks
                                        PCGen TM Lemur
                                        PCGen DOC Lemur

                                        <pgrosse@m...> wrote:
                                        > Look at the code for Weapon Specialization

                                      • Felipe F. Diniz
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                          Off course, but where?

                                          I tried these:

                                          CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE=Ranged)
                                          CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus(TYPE.Ranged)
                                          CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus (TYPE=Ranged)
                                          CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus (TYPE.Ranged)
                                          CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus|TYPE=Ranged
                                          CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus|TYPE.Ranged)

                                          and none worked. To test this, my char has Weapon Focus on Longbow
                                          and Battleaxe. Either it shows both weapons, or it shows neither.

                                          I also tested using it on the ADD:FEAT statement, like this:

                                          ADD:FEAT(MyFeat(TYPE=Ranged))

                                          but it didn't split up the ranged weapons, jst showed TYPE=Ranged as
                                          is.

                                          Felipe
                                          - OSCM Gibbon

                                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Franks"
                                          <bfranks@d...> wrote:
                                          > Have you thought about TYPE=Ranged?
                                          >
                                          > Just a noobie airing his own thoughts...
                                          >
                                          > Brad Franks
                                          > PCGen TM Lemur
                                          > PCGen DOC Lemur

                                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                        • Felipe F. Diniz
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                                            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Felipe F. Diniz"
                                            <fdiniz@i...> wrote:
                                            > Hi,
                                            >
                                            > I have a feat that have to choose between any ranged weapon the
                                            char
                                            > has weapon focus on. How can i do that?
                                            >
                                            > Any help would be appreciated.
                                            >

                                            > Felipe
                                            > - OSCM Gibbon

                                            Bumping.

                                            Just a note. This is not the same as Weapon Specialization, because i
                                            can choose a ranged weapon to specialize, but i can't choose a ranged
                                            weapon to apply my feat on. It must be a ranged weapon the char was
                                            focus on.

                                            Anyone? Pleeeeease.....

                                            Felipe
                                            - OSCM Gibbon
                                          • Barak
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                                              I don't think there's a way to make the program restrict it like that.
                                              SOP on something like this in the past has been to code it as something
                                              like this:

                                              PREFEAT:1,Weapon Focus
                                              PRETEXT:Wepon Focus must be with a ranged weapon

                                              Barak
                                              ~PCGen BoD
                                              ~OS Silverback

                                            • Felipe F. Diniz
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                                                What i really need is a chooser. I can do
                                                CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|FEAT=Weapon Focus but i can limit it no further
                                                than this. If it's not possible to limit on the chooser, maybe i can
                                                limit it on the bonus. It's a bonus to CRITMULT, like this:

                                                BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%LIST|CRITMULT|1

                                                Would there be any PRE that i could put here to make this bonus only
                                                apply if the chosen proficiency is ranged?

                                                Felipe
                                                - OSCM Gibbon