Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: items across multiple sources

  • Michael Tucker
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
      On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:37 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
      > The problem is that unless you are working on a source that you KNOW is
      > duplicated else where you wouldn't know to stick these in a certain
      > file.

      That's true, Paul, but that's not the case being discussed. They're
      talking about situations where they *specifically* know that two
      sources are duplicated, and how to handle that case (e.g. INCLUDE,
      link, copy, whatever).

      Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated you can
      always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).

      Java Kensai
    • Paul Grosse
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
        > On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:37 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
        > > The problem is that unless you are working on a source that
        > you KNOW
        > > is duplicated else where you wouldn't know to stick these
        > in a certain
        > > file.
        > >

        > That's true, Paul, but that's not the case being discussed.
        > They're talking about situations where they *specifically*
        > know that two sources are duplicated, and how to handle that
        > case (e.g. INCLUDE, link, copy, whatever).
        >
        > Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated
        > you can always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).
        >
        > Java Kensai

        But I like to plan ahead :), and I don't like doing things in a
        different way than has been established or utilized beforehand.
        Standardization rules!
      • Michael Tucker
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
          On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:53 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
          >> Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated
          >> you can always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).
          >>
          >> Java Kensai
          >>

          > But I like to plan ahead :), and I don't like doing things in a
          > different way than has been established or utilized beforehand.
          > Standardization rules!

          Ok, so establish a standard as follows:

          (a) If you know that two sources are partially duplicated, put the
          duplicated entries in a shared file, and include that shared file in
          both sources' .pcc files.

          (b) If you don't know, or aren't sure, then code up everything as
          normal. If you find out later that there's some duplication or overlap,
          fix it as in (a).

          There ya go; a standard.

          Flexibility rules! :-P

          Java Kensai
        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
            > Standardization rules!

            Standards are good, yes. However, rework should be avoided. Hence
            why I'd like to get some OOP stuff into Lst creation...if that's at
            all possible. :)

            Paul W. King
            OGL SB and BoD
          • Michael Tucker
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
              On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:59 PM, Paul W. King wrote:

              >> Standardization rules!
              >
              > Standards are good, yes. However, rework should be avoided. Hence
              > why I'd like to get some OOP stuff into Lst creation...if that's at
              > all possible. :)
              >
              > Paul W. King
              > OGL SB and BoD

              As opposed to "oops!" stuff?

              *grin*

              Java Kensai
            • Chris
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                > that are used across multiple sources and just loading those. It
                > didn't even occur to me that folks would wipe out the actual files
                > instead of not loading them.

                Hehe... I've had a few more months than you to realize the carziness
                people will indulge in. :p
              • Mark Perneta
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                  At 11:06 AM 12/2/2003 -0500, Brass Tilde wrote:
                  >It would be a different story if the sources were conceptually linked, such
                  >as a Rokugan file linking back to an OA source, but I didn't notice any
                  >mention of that. If that's the case, I apologize.

                  Well, I realize that this example is not OGC and therefore not
                  TECHNICALLY the concern of PCGen (as opposed to CMP) but:

                  The Feat "Clever Wrestling" is in both Complete Warrior and
                  Draconomicon. The word order is a little different between the two sources
                  (one lists the Size pre-reqs before the Feats, the other lists the Feat
                  pre-req first; the table of size-based effects is in ascending order in one
                  book, descending in the other) but the Feat does EXACTLY the same thing.
                  Is it likely that a user might have both of those books loaded at
                  once? Sure. When you do, you may get duplication (in this case it's just
                  SA: text on the character sheet, but that may not always be the case) in
                  the character. Just thought I'd add a specific example to the mix...

                  Mark.

                  --
                  The twentieth century was one in which limits on state power were
                  removed in order to let the intellectuals run with the ball, and they
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                    Move this topic over to pcgen experimental please leave this site
                    for helping people with lst writing