Re: items across multiple sources

  • Jayme
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@e...>
      wrote:
      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
      > >No, just a bunch of shared domains and spells (that's all the
      > >sharing I can see atm).
      > >I just don't like duplication of items that are
      > >*exactly* the same.
      >
      > So how about creating publisher_shared_spells.lst,
      > publisher_shared_domains.lst, and having the two .pcc
      > files point to them?

      This is an excellent idea and I think should be the standard way to do
      this type of thing. You can have multiple SPELL: and DOMAIN: lines in
      each .pcc file, so you could have duplicate spells in the
      publisher_shared_spells.lst file and if there are non-shared spells,
      just add them also.
    • Paul Grosse
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@e...>
        > wrote:
        > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
        > > >No, just a bunch of shared domains and spells (that's all
        > the sharing
        > > >I can see atm).
        > > >I just don't like duplication of items that are
        > > >*exactly* the same.
        > >
        > > So how about creating publisher_shared_spells.lst,
        > > publisher_shared_domains.lst, and having the two .pcc files
        > point to
        > > them?
        >
        > This is an excellent idea and I think should be the standard
        > way to do this type of thing. You can have multiple SPELL:
        > and DOMAIN: lines in each .pcc file, so you could have
        > duplicate spells in the publisher_shared_spells.lst file and
        > if there are non-shared spells, just add them also.

        The problem is that unless you are working on a source that you KNOW is
        duplicated else where you wouldn't know to stick these in a certain
        file.
      • Michael Tucker
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
          On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:37 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
          > The problem is that unless you are working on a source that you KNOW is
          > duplicated else where you wouldn't know to stick these in a certain
          > file.

          That's true, Paul, but that's not the case being discussed. They're
          talking about situations where they *specifically* know that two
          sources are duplicated, and how to handle that case (e.g. INCLUDE,
          link, copy, whatever).

          Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated you can
          always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).

          Java Kensai
        • Paul Grosse
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
            > On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:37 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
            > > The problem is that unless you are working on a source that
            > you KNOW
            > > is duplicated else where you wouldn't know to stick these
            > in a certain
            > > file.
            > >

            > That's true, Paul, but that's not the case being discussed.
            > They're talking about situations where they *specifically*
            > know that two sources are duplicated, and how to handle that
            > case (e.g. INCLUDE, link, copy, whatever).
            >
            > Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated
            > you can always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).
            >
            > Java Kensai

            But I like to plan ahead :), and I don't like doing things in a
            different way than has been established or utilized beforehand.
            Standardization rules!
          • Michael Tucker
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
              On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:53 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
              >> Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated
              >> you can always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).
              >>
              >> Java Kensai
              >>

              > But I like to plan ahead :), and I don't like doing things in a
              > different way than has been established or utilized beforehand.
              > Standardization rules!

              Ok, so establish a standard as follows:

              (a) If you know that two sources are partially duplicated, put the
              duplicated entries in a shared file, and include that shared file in
              both sources' .pcc files.

              (b) If you don't know, or aren't sure, then code up everything as
              normal. If you find out later that there's some duplication or overlap,
              fix it as in (a).

              There ya go; a standard.

              Flexibility rules! :-P

              Java Kensai
            • Paul W. King
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                > Standardization rules!

                Standards are good, yes. However, rework should be avoided. Hence
                why I'd like to get some OOP stuff into Lst creation...if that's at
                all possible. :)

                Paul W. King
                OGL SB and BoD
              • Michael Tucker
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                  On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:59 PM, Paul W. King wrote:

                  >> Standardization rules!
                  >
                  > Standards are good, yes. However, rework should be avoided. Hence
                  > why I'd like to get some OOP stuff into Lst creation...if that's at
                  > all possible. :)
                  >
                  > Paul W. King
                  > OGL SB and BoD

                  As opposed to "oops!" stuff?

                  *grin*

                  Java Kensai
                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                    > that are used across multiple sources and just loading those. It
                    > didn't even occur to me that folks would wipe out the actual files
                    > instead of not loading them.

                    Hehe... I've had a few more months than you to realize the carziness
                    people will indulge in. :p
                  • Mark Perneta
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                      At 11:06 AM 12/2/2003 -0500, Brass Tilde wrote:
                      >It would be a different story if the sources were conceptually linked, such
                      >as a Rokugan file linking back to an OA source, but I didn't notice any
                      >mention of that. If that's the case, I apologize.

                      Well, I realize that this example is not OGC and therefore not
                      TECHNICALLY the concern of PCGen (as opposed to CMP) but:

                      The Feat "Clever Wrestling" is in both Complete Warrior and
                      Draconomicon. The word order is a little different between the two sources
                      (one lists the Size pre-reqs before the Feats, the other lists the Feat
                      pre-req first; the table of size-based effects is in ascending order in one
                      book, descending in the other) but the Feat does EXACTLY the same thing.
                      Is it likely that a user might have both of those books loaded at
                      once? Sure. When you do, you may get duplication (in this case it's just
                      SA: text on the character sheet, but that may not always be the case) in
                      the character. Just thought I'd add a specific example to the mix...

                      Mark.

                      --
                      The twentieth century was one in which limits on state power were
                      removed in order to let the intellectuals run with the ball, and they
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                        Move this topic over to pcgen experimental please leave this site
                        for helping people with lst writing