Re: items across multiple sources

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
      > A data set is supposed to represent the source.

      I agree

      > The "duplicate" spell is part of that source.

      No arguments

      > Therefore it should be included in the .lst, not as a reference to
      > another data set, even if it is from the same publisher.

      That's where my questions began. I knew you could do INCLUDEs, but I
      wasn't sure how it effected the program during load. It seems that
      it slows it down quite a bit. *sigh* Oh well.

      > Not everyone is going to see things as the lst coder does, so every
      > effort needs to be made to let the user get the most use out of the
      > data set, even if they want to just delete half of them because
      > they don't like them and want to clean up their drives. Linking to
      > other data sets is just a bad idea IMO.

      I like the idea of linking though, only because it reduces possible
      redundancies. I liked the idea of creating smaller files (objects)
      that are used across multiple sources and just loading those. It
      didn't even occur to me that folks would wipe out the actual files
      instead of not loading them.

      Paul W. King
      OGL SB and BoD
    • Jayme
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@e...>
        wrote:
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
        > >No, just a bunch of shared domains and spells (that's all the
        > >sharing I can see atm).
        > >I just don't like duplication of items that are
        > >*exactly* the same.
        >
        > So how about creating publisher_shared_spells.lst,
        > publisher_shared_domains.lst, and having the two .pcc
        > files point to them?

        This is an excellent idea and I think should be the standard way to do
        this type of thing. You can have multiple SPELL: and DOMAIN: lines in
        each .pcc file, so you could have duplicate spells in the
        publisher_shared_spells.lst file and if there are non-shared spells,
        just add them also.
      • Paul Grosse
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@e...>
          > wrote:
          > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
          > > >No, just a bunch of shared domains and spells (that's all
          > the sharing
          > > >I can see atm).
          > > >I just don't like duplication of items that are
          > > >*exactly* the same.
          > >
          > > So how about creating publisher_shared_spells.lst,
          > > publisher_shared_domains.lst, and having the two .pcc files
          > point to
          > > them?
          >
          > This is an excellent idea and I think should be the standard
          > way to do this type of thing. You can have multiple SPELL:
          > and DOMAIN: lines in each .pcc file, so you could have
          > duplicate spells in the publisher_shared_spells.lst file and
          > if there are non-shared spells, just add them also.

          The problem is that unless you are working on a source that you KNOW is
          duplicated else where you wouldn't know to stick these in a certain
          file.
        • Michael Tucker
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
            On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:37 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
            > The problem is that unless you are working on a source that you KNOW is
            > duplicated else where you wouldn't know to stick these in a certain
            > file.

            That's true, Paul, but that's not the case being discussed. They're
            talking about situations where they *specifically* know that two
            sources are duplicated, and how to handle that case (e.g. INCLUDE,
            link, copy, whatever).

            Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated you can
            always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).

            Java Kensai
          • Paul Grosse
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
              > On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:37 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
              > > The problem is that unless you are working on a source that
              > you KNOW
              > > is duplicated else where you wouldn't know to stick these
              > in a certain
              > > file.
              > >

              > That's true, Paul, but that's not the case being discussed.
              > They're talking about situations where they *specifically*
              > know that two sources are duplicated, and how to handle that
              > case (e.g. INCLUDE, link, copy, whatever).
              >
              > Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated
              > you can always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).
              >
              > Java Kensai

              But I like to plan ahead :), and I don't like doing things in a
              different way than has been established or utilized beforehand.
              Standardization rules!
            • Michael Tucker
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:53 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
                >> Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated
                >> you can always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).
                >>
                >> Java Kensai
                >>

                > But I like to plan ahead :), and I don't like doing things in a
                > different way than has been established or utilized beforehand.
                > Standardization rules!

                Ok, so establish a standard as follows:

                (a) If you know that two sources are partially duplicated, put the
                duplicated entries in a shared file, and include that shared file in
                both sources' .pcc files.

                (b) If you don't know, or aren't sure, then code up everything as
                normal. If you find out later that there's some duplication or overlap,
                fix it as in (a).

                There ya go; a standard.

                Flexibility rules! :-P

                Java Kensai
              • Paul W. King
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                  > Standardization rules!

                  Standards are good, yes. However, rework should be avoided. Hence
                  why I'd like to get some OOP stuff into Lst creation...if that's at
                  all possible. :)

                  Paul W. King
                  OGL SB and BoD
                • Michael Tucker
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                    On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:59 PM, Paul W. King wrote:

                    >> Standardization rules!
                    >
                    > Standards are good, yes. However, rework should be avoided. Hence
                    > why I'd like to get some OOP stuff into Lst creation...if that's at
                    > all possible. :)
                    >
                    > Paul W. King
                    > OGL SB and BoD

                    As opposed to "oops!" stuff?

                    *grin*

                    Java Kensai
                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                      > that are used across multiple sources and just loading those. It
                      > didn't even occur to me that folks would wipe out the actual files
                      > instead of not loading them.

                      Hehe... I've had a few more months than you to realize the carziness
                      people will indulge in. :p
                    • Mark Perneta
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                        At 11:06 AM 12/2/2003 -0500, Brass Tilde wrote:
                        >It would be a different story if the sources were conceptually linked, such
                        >as a Rokugan file linking back to an OA source, but I didn't notice any
                        >mention of that. If that's the case, I apologize.

                        Well, I realize that this example is not OGC and therefore not
                        TECHNICALLY the concern of PCGen (as opposed to CMP) but:

                        The Feat "Clever Wrestling" is in both Complete Warrior and
                        Draconomicon. The word order is a little different between the two sources
                        (one lists the Size pre-reqs before the Feats, the other lists the Feat
                        pre-req first; the table of size-based effects is in ascending order in one
                        book, descending in the other) but the Feat does EXACTLY the same thing.
                        Is it likely that a user might have both of those books loaded at
                        once? Sure. When you do, you may get duplication (in this case it's just
                        SA: text on the character sheet, but that may not always be the case) in
                        the character. Just thought I'd add a specific example to the mix...

                        Mark.

                        --
                        The twentieth century was one in which limits on state power were
                        removed in order to let the intellectuals run with the ball, and they
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                          Move this topic over to pcgen experimental please leave this site
                          for helping people with lst writing