Re: items across multiple sources

  • ovka
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
      >No, just a bunch of shared domains and spells (that's all the
      >sharing
      >I can see atm). I just don't like duplication of items that are
      >*exactly* the same.

      So how about creating publisher_shared_spells.lst,
      publisher_shared_domains.lst, and having the two .pcc files point to
      them?

      Cheers,

      Sir George Anonymous
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
        > Ah, but my scenario (which is what started this thread) was that it
        > was the same publisher, different books. I don't see the point in
        > recoding the *exact* same spells if I don't have to.

        A data set is supposed to represent the source.

        The "duplicate" spell is part of that source.

        Therefor it should be included in the .lst, not as a reference to
        another data set, even if it is from the same publisher.

        Not everyone is going to see things as the lst coder does, so every
        effort needs to be made to let the user get the most use out of the
        data set, even if they want to just delete half of them because they
        don't like them and want to clean up their drives. Linking to other
        data sets is just a bad idea IMO.
      • Paul W. King
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
          > A data set is supposed to represent the source.

          I agree

          > The "duplicate" spell is part of that source.

          No arguments

          > Therefore it should be included in the .lst, not as a reference to
          > another data set, even if it is from the same publisher.

          That's where my questions began. I knew you could do INCLUDEs, but I
          wasn't sure how it effected the program during load. It seems that
          it slows it down quite a bit. *sigh* Oh well.

          > Not everyone is going to see things as the lst coder does, so every
          > effort needs to be made to let the user get the most use out of the
          > data set, even if they want to just delete half of them because
          > they don't like them and want to clean up their drives. Linking to
          > other data sets is just a bad idea IMO.

          I like the idea of linking though, only because it reduces possible
          redundancies. I liked the idea of creating smaller files (objects)
          that are used across multiple sources and just loading those. It
          didn't even occur to me that folks would wipe out the actual files
          instead of not loading them.

          Paul W. King
          OGL SB and BoD
        • Jayme
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@e...>
            wrote:
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
            > >No, just a bunch of shared domains and spells (that's all the
            > >sharing I can see atm).
            > >I just don't like duplication of items that are
            > >*exactly* the same.
            >
            > So how about creating publisher_shared_spells.lst,
            > publisher_shared_domains.lst, and having the two .pcc
            > files point to them?

            This is an excellent idea and I think should be the standard way to do
            this type of thing. You can have multiple SPELL: and DOMAIN: lines in
            each .pcc file, so you could have duplicate spells in the
            publisher_shared_spells.lst file and if there are non-shared spells,
            just add them also.
          • Paul Grosse
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@e...>
              > wrote:
              > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
              > > >No, just a bunch of shared domains and spells (that's all
              > the sharing
              > > >I can see atm).
              > > >I just don't like duplication of items that are
              > > >*exactly* the same.
              > >
              > > So how about creating publisher_shared_spells.lst,
              > > publisher_shared_domains.lst, and having the two .pcc files
              > point to
              > > them?
              >
              > This is an excellent idea and I think should be the standard
              > way to do this type of thing. You can have multiple SPELL:
              > and DOMAIN: lines in each .pcc file, so you could have
              > duplicate spells in the publisher_shared_spells.lst file and
              > if there are non-shared spells, just add them also.

              The problem is that unless you are working on a source that you KNOW is
              duplicated else where you wouldn't know to stick these in a certain
              file.
            • Michael Tucker
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:37 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
                > The problem is that unless you are working on a source that you KNOW is
                > duplicated else where you wouldn't know to stick these in a certain
                > file.

                That's true, Paul, but that's not the case being discussed. They're
                talking about situations where they *specifically* know that two
                sources are duplicated, and how to handle that case (e.g. INCLUDE,
                link, copy, whatever).

                Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated you can
                always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).

                Java Kensai
              • Paul Grosse
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                  > On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:37 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
                  > > The problem is that unless you are working on a source that
                  > you KNOW
                  > > is duplicated else where you wouldn't know to stick these
                  > in a certain
                  > > file.
                  > >

                  > That's true, Paul, but that's not the case being discussed.
                  > They're talking about situations where they *specifically*
                  > know that two sources are duplicated, and how to handle that
                  > case (e.g. INCLUDE, link, copy, whatever).
                  >
                  > Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated
                  > you can always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).
                  >
                  > Java Kensai

                  But I like to plan ahead :), and I don't like doing things in a
                  different way than has been established or utilized beforehand.
                  Standardization rules!
                • Michael Tucker
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                    On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:53 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
                    >> Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated
                    >> you can always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).
                    >>
                    >> Java Kensai
                    >>

                    > But I like to plan ahead :), and I don't like doing things in a
                    > different way than has been established or utilized beforehand.
                    > Standardization rules!

                    Ok, so establish a standard as follows:

                    (a) If you know that two sources are partially duplicated, put the
                    duplicated entries in a shared file, and include that shared file in
                    both sources' .pcc files.

                    (b) If you don't know, or aren't sure, then code up everything as
                    normal. If you find out later that there's some duplication or overlap,
                    fix it as in (a).

                    There ya go; a standard.

                    Flexibility rules! :-P

                    Java Kensai
                  • Paul W. King
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                      > Standardization rules!

                      Standards are good, yes. However, rework should be avoided. Hence
                      why I'd like to get some OOP stuff into Lst creation...if that's at
                      all possible. :)

                      Paul W. King
                      OGL SB and BoD
                    • Michael Tucker
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                        On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:59 PM, Paul W. King wrote:

                        >> Standardization rules!
                        >
                        > Standards are good, yes. However, rework should be avoided. Hence
                        > why I'd like to get some OOP stuff into Lst creation...if that's at
                        > all possible. :)
                        >
                        > Paul W. King
                        > OGL SB and BoD

                        As opposed to "oops!" stuff?

                        *grin*

                        Java Kensai
                      • Chris
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                          > that are used across multiple sources and just loading those. It
                          > didn't even occur to me that folks would wipe out the actual files
                          > instead of not loading them.

                          Hehe... I've had a few more months than you to realize the carziness
                          people will indulge in. :p
                        • Mark Perneta
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                            At 11:06 AM 12/2/2003 -0500, Brass Tilde wrote:
                            >It would be a different story if the sources were conceptually linked, such
                            >as a Rokugan file linking back to an OA source, but I didn't notice any
                            >mention of that. If that's the case, I apologize.

                            Well, I realize that this example is not OGC and therefore not
                            TECHNICALLY the concern of PCGen (as opposed to CMP) but:

                            The Feat "Clever Wrestling" is in both Complete Warrior and
                            Draconomicon. The word order is a little different between the two sources
                            (one lists the Size pre-reqs before the Feats, the other lists the Feat
                            pre-req first; the table of size-based effects is in ascending order in one
                            book, descending in the other) but the Feat does EXACTLY the same thing.
                            Is it likely that a user might have both of those books loaded at
                            once? Sure. When you do, you may get duplication (in this case it's just
                            SA: text on the character sheet, but that may not always be the case) in
                            the character. Just thought I'd add a specific example to the mix...

                            Mark.

                            --
                            The twentieth century was one in which limits on state power were
                            removed in order to let the intellectuals run with the ball, and they
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                              Move this topic over to pcgen experimental please leave this site
                              for helping people with lst writing