RE: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: WIELD

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
      > > The wierd thing about the Bastard sword is that it's a one handed
      > > weapon. If you try to use it one handed without the Exotic Weapon
      > > prof, you incure a -4 non-proficiency penalty.
      >
      > Not entirely correct: it is a two handed MARTIAL weapon. One handed it
      > is Exotic. The Dwarven Waraxe is the same way - twohanded Martial,
      > onehanded Exotic (except for Dwarves in 35e). I think it should be
      > WIELD:TwoHanded as that is how it is normally used by anyone
      > without EWP.

      This particular subject was bandied about on the DnD list a while back, and
      personally, I feel that the following statement allows one to think about
      the *concept* of the weapon most clearly.

      "The Bastard Sword is an Exotic Weapon, requiring the Exotic Weapon
      proficiency. Some characters, by virtue of their class or size, can use the
      weapon as a Martial Weapon using two hands."

      Note this view expresses the Martial Weapon aspect as the exception, and
      that this view is borne out by the tables in both the 3.0 and 3.5 PHP, where
      it appears *only* in the Exotic Weapons lists.

      I'm not saying this in order to "correct" anyone's impression or to impose a
      view. I'm just trying to present a different perspective that may help to
      solve the problems behind getting it to work correctly. Nobody seems to be
      treating the two-handed Martial use as the exception, and since the rules
      suggext that's what it *is*, it might help to think of it that way.

      Brass
    • Jayme
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@i.
        ..> wrote:
        > > > The wierd thing about the Bastard sword is that it's a one
        handed
        > > > weapon. If you try to use it one handed without the Exotic
        Weapon
        > > > prof, you incure a -4 non-proficiency penalty.
        > >
        > > Not entirely correct: it is a two handed MARTIAL weapon. One
        handed it
        > > is Exotic. The Dwarven Waraxe is the same way - twohanded Martial,
        > > onehanded Exotic (except for Dwarves in 35e). I think it should be
        > > WIELD:TwoHanded as that is how it is normally used by anyone
        > > without EWP.

        As Brass Tilde pointed out, the Bastard Sword (and the Dwarven Waraxe)
        are One Handed weapons -- thus are listed under the One-Handed Exotic
        weapons chart in the RSRD. If you do not have special training (Exotic
        Weapon prof) you get a -4 non-proficiency penalty while wielding them
        one handed.
        Even stranger is if you are a Wizard and don't have the Martial or
        Exotic weapon feats, you can wield a Bastard Sword one handed and
        still only take a -4 non-proficiency penalty.