Re: WIELD

  • Jayme
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clegg"
      <tnc_gaming@l...> wrote:

      > How do you do the B*-sword with having WIELD tag? I'm trying to do a
      > couple of similar weapons in a new release, but it seems that no
      > matter whether the character has the Martial or the Exotic weapon
      > feat that he's considered able to wield it one or two handed no
      > matter what.

      The wierd thing about the Bastard sword is that it's a one handed
      weapon. If you try to use it one handed without the Exotic Weapon
      prof, you incure a -4 non-proficiency penalty.

      I just noticed that the rsrd_equip_melee.lst has the wield as
      TwoHanded, when it should be WIELD:OneHanded
    • taluroniscandar
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Jayme" <jayme@r...> wrote:
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clegg"
        > <tnc_gaming@l...> wrote:
        > >
        > > How do you do the B*-sword with having WIELD tag? I'm trying to do a
        > > couple of similar weapons in a new release, but it seems that no
        > > matter whether the character has the Martial or the Exotic weapon
        > > feat that he's considered able to wield it one or two handed no
        > > matter what.
        >
        > The wierd thing about the Bastard sword is that it's a one handed
        > weapon. If you try to use it one handed without the Exotic Weapon
        > prof, you incure a -4 non-proficiency penalty.
        >
        > I just noticed that the rsrd_equip_melee.lst has the wield as
        > TwoHanded, when it should be WIELD:OneHanded

        Not entirely correct: it is a two handed MARTIAL weapon. One handed it
        is Exotic. The Dwarven Waraxe is the same way - twohanded Martial,
        onehanded Exotic (except for Dwarves in 35e). I think it should be
        WIELD:TwoHanded as that is how it is normally used by anyone without EWP.

        What might should happen, now that Jayme has added the
        BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY|WCName1,WCName2|x, is to alter the Exotic weapon
        feat to use this bonus. Hm, no that won't work as this is only true
        for a handful of exotic weapons. It seems the Bastage sword continues
        to cause problems.
      • Brass Tilde
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
          > > The wierd thing about the Bastard sword is that it's a one handed
          > > weapon. If you try to use it one handed without the Exotic Weapon
          > > prof, you incure a -4 non-proficiency penalty.
          >
          > Not entirely correct: it is a two handed MARTIAL weapon. One handed it
          > is Exotic. The Dwarven Waraxe is the same way - twohanded Martial,
          > onehanded Exotic (except for Dwarves in 35e). I think it should be
          > WIELD:TwoHanded as that is how it is normally used by anyone
          > without EWP.

          This particular subject was bandied about on the DnD list a while back, and
          personally, I feel that the following statement allows one to think about
          the *concept* of the weapon most clearly.

          "The Bastard Sword is an Exotic Weapon, requiring the Exotic Weapon
          proficiency. Some characters, by virtue of their class or size, can use the
          weapon as a Martial Weapon using two hands."

          Note this view expresses the Martial Weapon aspect as the exception, and
          that this view is borne out by the tables in both the 3.0 and 3.5 PHP, where
          it appears *only* in the Exotic Weapons lists.

          I'm not saying this in order to "correct" anyone's impression or to impose a
          view. I'm just trying to present a different perspective that may help to
          solve the problems behind getting it to work correctly. Nobody seems to be
          treating the two-handed Martial use as the exception, and since the rules
          suggext that's what it *is*, it might help to think of it that way.

          Brass
        • Jayme
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@i.
            ..> wrote:
            > > > The wierd thing about the Bastard sword is that it's a one
            handed
            > > > weapon. If you try to use it one handed without the Exotic
            Weapon
            > > > prof, you incure a -4 non-proficiency penalty.
            > >
            > > Not entirely correct: it is a two handed MARTIAL weapon. One
            handed it
            > > is Exotic. The Dwarven Waraxe is the same way - twohanded Martial,
            > > onehanded Exotic (except for Dwarves in 35e). I think it should be
            > > WIELD:TwoHanded as that is how it is normally used by anyone
            > > without EWP.

            As Brass Tilde pointed out, the Bastard Sword (and the Dwarven Waraxe)
            are One Handed weapons -- thus are listed under the One-Handed Exotic
            weapons chart in the RSRD. If you do not have special training (Exotic
            Weapon prof) you get a -4 non-proficiency penalty while wielding them
            one handed.
            Even stranger is if you are a Wizard and don't have the Martial or
            Exotic weapon feats, you can wield a Bastard Sword one handed and
            still only take a -4 non-proficiency penalty.