Re: items across multiple sources

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2003
      > I think, if it's described in enough detail in whatever the source
      > is, it needs to go into the data set so it is a true
      > representation of the source, even if it's a duplicate of another
      > source.

      And how is data duplication handled in PCGen?

      > There is no guarantee that I want to use source M just so I can use
      > source N, and using INCLUDES & EXCLUDES (as discussed on the dev
      > forum) causes a major slowdown in loading.

      Not being a Code Monkey, this may be a dumb question, but: Is there
      a way to speed it up?

      Paul W. King
      OGL SB and BoD
    • dlm1065
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2003
        <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
        > > I think, if it's described in enough detail in whatever the
        source
        > > is, it needs to go into the data set so it is a true
        > > representation of the source, even if it's a duplicate of another
        > > source.
        >
        > And how is data duplication handled in PCGen?
        >
        > > There is no guarantee that I want to use source M just so I can
        use
        > > source N, and using INCLUDES & EXCLUDES (as discussed on the dev
        > > forum) causes a major slowdown in loading.
        >
        > Not being a Code Monkey, this may be a dumb question, but: Is
        there
        > a way to speed it up?
        >
        > Paul W. King
        > OGL SB and BoD

        Nope that isn't what you want.
        Do not use includes and excludes to prevent spell duplication.

        Keep the material as close to the book as possible.

        SCENARIO
        What if the user hates 1 book that has it and loves another. He says
        I'll never use this its a waste of hard drive space - delete. Your
        dataset just got broke.

        Spells has a way of tracking the source it comes from. The source of
        the spell distiguishes it from the same spell under a different
        source. Say you have two books (alpha and beta) that have spell
        SDRAWKCABSSA. In pcgen's spell list you would see two SDRAWKCABSSA
        spells each with their respective source.
      • Paul Grosse
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003

          Or lets say classes, it's a perfect duplicate of the OGL class from X
          source made Company B used by company A in sourcebook Q. (ie Ultimate
          classes book by Mongoose) I know for a fact that if you have the same
          class in two sources that are both loaded they double all the bonus
          (found that out the hard way when I cad a copy of the Druid in a custom
          file for reference and didn't comment it out).

          Should we just NOT include items listed from other sources even though
          it's listed in the sourcebook?
        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
            > SCENARIO
            > What if the user hates 1 book that has it and loves another. He
            > says I'll never use this its a waste of hard drive space - delete.
            > Your dataset just got broke.
            >
            > Spells has a way of tracking the source it comes from. The source
            > of the spell distiguishes it from the same spell under a different
            > source. Say you have two books (alpha and beta) that have spell
            > SDRAWKCABSSA. In pcgen's spell list you would see two SDRAWKCABSSA
            > spells each with their respective source.

            But I, personally, don't want duplicate spells, even if they are
            distinguished on the source. Is there a way then to do a:

            If Source A !loaded
            Then load file B

            So, if you do load Source A, then the spells are there. If you
            don't, then you need to load file B, which will have the *known*
            duplicate spells.

            Paul W. King
            OGL SB and BoD
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
              <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
              > > SCENARIO
              > > What if the user hates 1 book that has it and loves another. He
              > > says I'll never use this its a waste of hard drive space - delete.
              > > Your dataset just got broke.
              > >
              > > Spells has a way of tracking the source it comes from. The source
              > > of the spell distiguishes it from the same spell under a different
              > > source. Say you have two books (alpha and beta) that have spell
              > > SDRAWKCABSSA. In pcgen's spell list you would see two SDRAWKCABSSA
              > > spells each with their respective source.
              >
              > But I, personally, don't want duplicate spells, even if they are
              > distinguished on the source. Is there a way then to do a:
              >
              > If Source A !loaded
              > Then load file B
              >
              > So, if you do load Source A, then the spells are there. If you
              > don't, then you need to load file B, which will have the *known*
              > duplicate spells.

              There are two underlying and dangerous assumptions here:
              1. That the person writing a particular lst file knows EVERY source
              that has a entry with a particular name.
              2. That every time a name is used the spells are exactly the same.

              What if five different publishers create a spell, call it say
              "Freebird", in five different sources. NONE of the spells work the
              same, all five have completely different casting time, targets,
              effects, range, etc. Lst coder alpha has one source and knows of a
              second because a friend owns it. Lst coder beta owns product three but
              none of the others.

              If the spell tab overlays same name spells then only one of the
              sources will ever work right. Which one gets precedence? How do you
              tell PCGen to show the statistics for the spell from source three (the
              long range, area effect Freebird) rather than the Freebird from source
              two (touch range, one creature only version)?
            • David
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                This may not go over well, but at some point the user *has* to know
                what he is loading and what is contained in the sources. There is a
                fundamental problem that things can be named the same but with
                different details.

                -- david

                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "taluroniscandar"
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                  > > But I, personally, don't want duplicate spells, even if they are
                  > > distinguished on the source. Is there a way then to do a:
                  > >
                  > > If Source A !loaded
                  > > Then load file B
                  > >
                  > > So, if you do load Source A, then the spells are there. If you
                  > > don't, then you need to load file B, which will have the *known*
                  > > duplicate spells.
                  > >
                  > There are two underlying and dangerous assumptions here:
                  > 1. That the person writing a particular lst file knows EVERY source
                  > that has a entry with a particular name.
                  > 2. That every time a name is used the spells are exactly the same.
                  >
                  > What if five different publishers create a spell, call it say
                  > "Freebird", in five different sources.

                  Ah, but my scenario (which is what started this thread) was that it
                  was the same publisher, different books. I don't see the point in
                  recoding the *exact* same spells if I don't have to.

                  Paul W. King
                  OGL SB and BoD
                • Brass Tilde
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                    > Ah, but my scenario (which is what started this thread) was that it
                    > was the same publisher, different books. I don't see the point in
                    > recoding the *exact* same spells if I don't have to.

                    I tend to agree with the folks who say "duplicate it". Even though it may
                    the same now, it may not always be the same. In addition, someone may not
                    have the source that includes the definition on their machine. I regularly
                    remove sources I'm not using so my players don't accidently choose something
                    they don't need, or I don't want them to have, and I can't say that I'd want
                    to have to include a source because *one* spell is shared between it and the
                    one I *do* want.

                    After all, it's not like you're actually coding it again, you can simply cut
                    and paste, right? Unless I've misunderstood something.

                    It would be a different story if the sources were conceptually linked, such
                    as a Rokugan file linking back to an OA source, but I didn't notice any
                    mention of that. If that's the case, I apologize.
                  • Paul W. King
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                      > It would be a different story if the sources were conceptually
                      > linked, such as a Rokugan file linking back to an OA source, but I
                      > didn't notice any mention of that. If that's the case, I apologize.

                      No, just a bunch of shared domains and spells (that's all the sharing
                      I can see atm). I just don't like duplication of items that are
                      *exactly* the same.

                      Paul W. King
                      OGL SB and BoD
                    • ovka
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                        >No, just a bunch of shared domains and spells (that's all the
                        >sharing
                        >I can see atm). I just don't like duplication of items that are
                        >*exactly* the same.

                        So how about creating publisher_shared_spells.lst,
                        publisher_shared_domains.lst, and having the two .pcc files point to
                        them?

                        Cheers,

                        Sir George Anonymous
                      • Chris
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                          > Ah, but my scenario (which is what started this thread) was that it
                          > was the same publisher, different books. I don't see the point in
                          > recoding the *exact* same spells if I don't have to.

                          A data set is supposed to represent the source.

                          The "duplicate" spell is part of that source.

                          Therefor it should be included in the .lst, not as a reference to
                          another data set, even if it is from the same publisher.

                          Not everyone is going to see things as the lst coder does, so every
                          effort needs to be made to let the user get the most use out of the
                          data set, even if they want to just delete half of them because they
                          don't like them and want to clean up their drives. Linking to other
                          data sets is just a bad idea IMO.
                        • Paul W. King
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                            > A data set is supposed to represent the source.

                            I agree

                            > The "duplicate" spell is part of that source.

                            No arguments

                            > Therefore it should be included in the .lst, not as a reference to
                            > another data set, even if it is from the same publisher.

                            That's where my questions began. I knew you could do INCLUDEs, but I
                            wasn't sure how it effected the program during load. It seems that
                            it slows it down quite a bit. *sigh* Oh well.

                            > Not everyone is going to see things as the lst coder does, so every
                            > effort needs to be made to let the user get the most use out of the
                            > data set, even if they want to just delete half of them because
                            > they don't like them and want to clean up their drives. Linking to
                            > other data sets is just a bad idea IMO.

                            I like the idea of linking though, only because it reduces possible
                            redundancies. I liked the idea of creating smaller files (objects)
                            that are used across multiple sources and just loading those. It
                            didn't even occur to me that folks would wipe out the actual files
                            instead of not loading them.

                            Paul W. King
                            OGL SB and BoD
                          • Jayme
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@e...>
                              wrote:
                              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
                              > >No, just a bunch of shared domains and spells (that's all the
                              > >sharing I can see atm).
                              > >I just don't like duplication of items that are
                              > >*exactly* the same.
                              >
                              > So how about creating publisher_shared_spells.lst,
                              > publisher_shared_domains.lst, and having the two .pcc
                              > files point to them?

                              This is an excellent idea and I think should be the standard way to do
                              this type of thing. You can have multiple SPELL: and DOMAIN: lines in
                              each .pcc file, so you could have duplicate spells in the
                              publisher_shared_spells.lst file and if there are non-shared spells,
                              just add them also.
                            • Paul Grosse
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@e...>
                                > wrote:
                                > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
                                > > >No, just a bunch of shared domains and spells (that's all
                                > the sharing
                                > > >I can see atm).
                                > > >I just don't like duplication of items that are
                                > > >*exactly* the same.
                                > >
                                > > So how about creating publisher_shared_spells.lst,
                                > > publisher_shared_domains.lst, and having the two .pcc files
                                > point to
                                > > them?
                                >
                                > This is an excellent idea and I think should be the standard
                                > way to do this type of thing. You can have multiple SPELL:
                                > and DOMAIN: lines in each .pcc file, so you could have
                                > duplicate spells in the publisher_shared_spells.lst file and
                                > if there are non-shared spells, just add them also.

                                The problem is that unless you are working on a source that you KNOW is
                                duplicated else where you wouldn't know to stick these in a certain
                                file.
                              • Michael Tucker
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                                  On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:37 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
                                  > The problem is that unless you are working on a source that you KNOW is
                                  > duplicated else where you wouldn't know to stick these in a certain
                                  > file.

                                  That's true, Paul, but that's not the case being discussed. They're
                                  talking about situations where they *specifically* know that two
                                  sources are duplicated, and how to handle that case (e.g. INCLUDE,
                                  link, copy, whatever).

                                  Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated you can
                                  always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).

                                  Java Kensai
                                • Paul Grosse
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                                    > On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:37 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
                                    > > The problem is that unless you are working on a source that
                                    > you KNOW
                                    > > is duplicated else where you wouldn't know to stick these
                                    > in a certain
                                    > > file.
                                    > >

                                    > That's true, Paul, but that's not the case being discussed.
                                    > They're talking about situations where they *specifically*
                                    > know that two sources are duplicated, and how to handle that
                                    > case (e.g. INCLUDE, link, copy, whatever).
                                    >
                                    > Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated
                                    > you can always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).
                                    >
                                    > Java Kensai

                                    But I like to plan ahead :), and I don't like doing things in a
                                    different way than has been established or utilized beforehand.
                                    Standardization rules!
                                  • Michael Tucker
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                                      On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:53 PM, Paul Grosse wrote:
                                      >> Regardless, if you find out later that a source is duplicated
                                      >> you can always move the duplicated entries to the shared file(s).
                                      >>
                                      >> Java Kensai
                                      >>

                                      > But I like to plan ahead :), and I don't like doing things in a
                                      > different way than has been established or utilized beforehand.
                                      > Standardization rules!

                                      Ok, so establish a standard as follows:

                                      (a) If you know that two sources are partially duplicated, put the
                                      duplicated entries in a shared file, and include that shared file in
                                      both sources' .pcc files.

                                      (b) If you don't know, or aren't sure, then code up everything as
                                      normal. If you find out later that there's some duplication or overlap,
                                      fix it as in (a).

                                      There ya go; a standard.

                                      Flexibility rules! :-P

                                      Java Kensai
                                    • Paul W. King
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                                        > Standardization rules!

                                        Standards are good, yes. However, rework should be avoided. Hence
                                        why I'd like to get some OOP stuff into Lst creation...if that's at
                                        all possible. :)

                                        Paul W. King
                                        OGL SB and BoD
                                      • Michael Tucker
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                                          On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 01:59 PM, Paul W. King wrote:

                                          >> Standardization rules!
                                          >
                                          > Standards are good, yes. However, rework should be avoided. Hence
                                          > why I'd like to get some OOP stuff into Lst creation...if that's at
                                          > all possible. :)
                                          >
                                          > Paul W. King
                                          > OGL SB and BoD

                                          As opposed to "oops!" stuff?

                                          *grin*

                                          Java Kensai
                                        • Chris
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                                            > that are used across multiple sources and just loading those. It
                                            > didn't even occur to me that folks would wipe out the actual files
                                            > instead of not loading them.

                                            Hehe... I've had a few more months than you to realize the carziness
                                            people will indulge in. :p
                                          • Mark Perneta
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                                              At 11:06 AM 12/2/2003 -0500, Brass Tilde wrote:
                                              >It would be a different story if the sources were conceptually linked, such
                                              >as a Rokugan file linking back to an OA source, but I didn't notice any
                                              >mention of that. If that's the case, I apologize.

                                              Well, I realize that this example is not OGC and therefore not
                                              TECHNICALLY the concern of PCGen (as opposed to CMP) but:

                                              The Feat "Clever Wrestling" is in both Complete Warrior and
                                              Draconomicon. The word order is a little different between the two sources
                                              (one lists the Size pre-reqs before the Feats, the other lists the Feat
                                              pre-req first; the table of size-based effects is in ascending order in one
                                              book, descending in the other) but the Feat does EXACTLY the same thing.
                                              Is it likely that a user might have both of those books loaded at
                                              once? Sure. When you do, you may get duplication (in this case it's just
                                              SA: text on the character sheet, but that may not always be the case) in
                                              the character. Just thought I'd add a specific example to the mix...

                                              Mark.

                                              --
                                              The twentieth century was one in which limits on state power were
                                              removed in order to let the intellectuals run with the ball, and they
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                                                Move this topic over to pcgen experimental please leave this site
                                                for helping people with lst writing