Re: WIELD

  • Thomas Clegg
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
      Here's a somewhat related question.....

      How do you do the B*-sword with having WIELD tag? I'm trying to do a
      couple of similar weapons in a new release, but it seems that no
      matter whether the character has the Martial or the Exotic weapon
      feat that he's considered able to wield it one or two handed no
      matter what.

      Tom
    • Loyal
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
        Sorry for the confusion. I had grabbed the RSRD material and
        Finessable was gone from all of the equipment. Thought perhaps that
        meant that Finessable was going bydey-bye.

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Jayme" <jayme@r...> wrote:
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "taluroniscandar"
        > <mhgj@e...> wrote:
        > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Loyal" <loyalp@c...>
        wrote:
        > > > So, how would one go about changing feats that used to use
        BONUS
        > > tags
        > > > and such with the TYPE=Finessable to now use the WIELD:Light
        tag
        > > > instead? (Since those weapons will no longer have a TYPE-
        > > Finessable.)
        > > >

        > > Why would the Finessable type be going away? There are weapons
        which
        > > are not light that are finessable (rapier for one). For the
        weapon
        > > finesse feat to work finessable should stay. Also for a source
        lst
        > > file to work for both 3e and 35e gamemodes finessable would need
        > > be there for 3e.
        >
        > Yes, the Finessable type must still be allowed as one of the TYPE
        > tags. The code will just check for Finessable two ways (isType and
        > wieldCat)
      • Jayme
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clegg"
          <tnc_gaming@l...> wrote:

          > How do you do the B*-sword with having WIELD tag? I'm trying to do a
          > couple of similar weapons in a new release, but it seems that no
          > matter whether the character has the Martial or the Exotic weapon
          > feat that he's considered able to wield it one or two handed no
          > matter what.

          The wierd thing about the Bastard sword is that it's a one handed
          weapon. If you try to use it one handed without the Exotic Weapon
          prof, you incure a -4 non-proficiency penalty.

          I just noticed that the rsrd_equip_melee.lst has the wield as
          TwoHanded, when it should be WIELD:OneHanded
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Jayme" <jayme@r...> wrote:
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clegg"
            > <tnc_gaming@l...> wrote:
            > >
            > > How do you do the B*-sword with having WIELD tag? I'm trying to do a
            > > couple of similar weapons in a new release, but it seems that no
            > > matter whether the character has the Martial or the Exotic weapon
            > > feat that he's considered able to wield it one or two handed no
            > > matter what.
            >
            > The wierd thing about the Bastard sword is that it's a one handed
            > weapon. If you try to use it one handed without the Exotic Weapon
            > prof, you incure a -4 non-proficiency penalty.
            >
            > I just noticed that the rsrd_equip_melee.lst has the wield as
            > TwoHanded, when it should be WIELD:OneHanded

            Not entirely correct: it is a two handed MARTIAL weapon. One handed it
            is Exotic. The Dwarven Waraxe is the same way - twohanded Martial,
            onehanded Exotic (except for Dwarves in 35e). I think it should be
            WIELD:TwoHanded as that is how it is normally used by anyone without EWP.

            What might should happen, now that Jayme has added the
            BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY|WCName1,WCName2|x, is to alter the Exotic weapon
            feat to use this bonus. Hm, no that won't work as this is only true
            for a handful of exotic weapons. It seems the Bastage sword continues
            to cause problems.
          • Brass Tilde
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
              > > The wierd thing about the Bastard sword is that it's a one handed
              > > weapon. If you try to use it one handed without the Exotic Weapon
              > > prof, you incure a -4 non-proficiency penalty.
              >
              > Not entirely correct: it is a two handed MARTIAL weapon. One handed it
              > is Exotic. The Dwarven Waraxe is the same way - twohanded Martial,
              > onehanded Exotic (except for Dwarves in 35e). I think it should be
              > WIELD:TwoHanded as that is how it is normally used by anyone
              > without EWP.

              This particular subject was bandied about on the DnD list a while back, and
              personally, I feel that the following statement allows one to think about
              the *concept* of the weapon most clearly.

              "The Bastard Sword is an Exotic Weapon, requiring the Exotic Weapon
              proficiency. Some characters, by virtue of their class or size, can use the
              weapon as a Martial Weapon using two hands."

              Note this view expresses the Martial Weapon aspect as the exception, and
              that this view is borne out by the tables in both the 3.0 and 3.5 PHP, where
              it appears *only* in the Exotic Weapons lists.

              I'm not saying this in order to "correct" anyone's impression or to impose a
              view. I'm just trying to present a different perspective that may help to
              solve the problems behind getting it to work correctly. Nobody seems to be
              treating the two-handed Martial use as the exception, and since the rules
              suggext that's what it *is*, it might help to think of it that way.

              Brass
            • Jayme
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@i.
                ..> wrote:
                > > > The wierd thing about the Bastard sword is that it's a one
                handed
                > > > weapon. If you try to use it one handed without the Exotic
                Weapon
                > > > prof, you incure a -4 non-proficiency penalty.
                > >
                > > Not entirely correct: it is a two handed MARTIAL weapon. One
                handed it
                > > is Exotic. The Dwarven Waraxe is the same way - twohanded Martial,
                > > onehanded Exotic (except for Dwarves in 35e). I think it should be
                > > WIELD:TwoHanded as that is how it is normally used by anyone
                > > without EWP.

                As Brass Tilde pointed out, the Bastard Sword (and the Dwarven Waraxe)
                are One Handed weapons -- thus are listed under the One-Handed Exotic
                weapons chart in the RSRD. If you do not have special training (Exotic
                Weapon prof) you get a -4 non-proficiency penalty while wielding them
                one handed.
                Even stranger is if you are a Wizard and don't have the Martial or
                Exotic weapon feats, you can wield a Bastard Sword one handed and
                still only take a -4 non-proficiency penalty.