Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Feat granting class skills

  • Michael Tucker
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
      On Monday, December 1, 2003, at 01:54 AM, Jayme wrote:

      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
      > wrote:
      >> Does anyone know a way to have a feat make a users choice of skills
      > class
      >> skills for a specific class? My understanding is that the CSKILL tag
      > used
      >> outside of a class line makes the skills class skills for all
      > classes the
      >> character has.
      >
      > A feat that makes skills a class skill should mean they are always
      > considered class skills, not matter what the class you are "buying"
      > them from.
      >
      > Untill we start tracking what feats are granted by what class levels,
      > I don't think there is a way to do what you want.

      Can a Feat .MOD a Class, either directly or indirectly? If directly,
      then that seems the way to go. If indirectly (perhaps a Feat which
      loads a Template, which .MODs a Class?), then that would be another way
      to get there.

      If there's no way to .MOD a Class from a Feat, either directly or
      indirectly, then I agree with Jayme (i.e., no way to do what you want
      from within PCGen). However, you could always just give your players
      extra skill points to make up the difference.

      [As an aside, I often think that people are willing to go to *way* too
      much trouble to get PCGen to do something that could easily be handled
      manually (such as by manually assigning extra skill points, stat
      bonuses, levels, whatever), or with pencil and paper. If I have to
      invent the transistor, design a calculator, build the damn thing, learn
      Reverse Polish Notation, etc., just so I can add two numbers, then I've
      probably missed an important Clue Bus somewhere along the line. But
      that's just my opinion, and mini-rant.]

      Seriously, though: I wish you good fortune figuring out a way to get
      PCGen to do what you want. If you are still stuck after these
      suggestions, come back and let us know what you found out. I'm sure
      that someone will be able to either help you, or give you a definitive
      "no, that can't be done" answer.

      Java Kensai