Re: Feat granting class skills

  • Jayme
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2003
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
      wrote:
      > Does anyone know a way to have a feat make a users choice of skills
      class
      > skills for a specific class? My understanding is that the CSKILL tag
      used
      > outside of a class line makes the skills class skills for all
      classes the
      > character has.

      A feat that makes skills a class skill should mean they are always
      considered class skills, not matter what the class you are "buying"
      them from.

      Untill we start tracking what feats are granted by what class levels,
      I don't think there is a way to do what you want.
    • Michael Tucker
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
        On Monday, December 1, 2003, at 01:54 AM, Jayme wrote:

        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
        > wrote:
        >> Does anyone know a way to have a feat make a users choice of skills
        > class
        >> skills for a specific class? My understanding is that the CSKILL tag
        > used
        >> outside of a class line makes the skills class skills for all
        > classes the
        >> character has.
        >
        > A feat that makes skills a class skill should mean they are always
        > considered class skills, not matter what the class you are "buying"
        > them from.
        >
        > Untill we start tracking what feats are granted by what class levels,
        > I don't think there is a way to do what you want.

        Can a Feat .MOD a Class, either directly or indirectly? If directly,
        then that seems the way to go. If indirectly (perhaps a Feat which
        loads a Template, which .MODs a Class?), then that would be another way
        to get there.

        If there's no way to .MOD a Class from a Feat, either directly or
        indirectly, then I agree with Jayme (i.e., no way to do what you want
        from within PCGen). However, you could always just give your players
        extra skill points to make up the difference.

        [As an aside, I often think that people are willing to go to *way* too
        much trouble to get PCGen to do something that could easily be handled
        manually (such as by manually assigning extra skill points, stat
        bonuses, levels, whatever), or with pencil and paper. If I have to
        invent the transistor, design a calculator, build the damn thing, learn
        Reverse Polish Notation, etc., just so I can add two numbers, then I've
        probably missed an important Clue Bus somewhere along the line. But
        that's just my opinion, and mini-rant.]

        Seriously, though: I wish you good fortune figuring out a way to get
        PCGen to do what you want. If you are still stuck after these
        suggestions, come back and let us know what you found out. I'm sure
        that someone will be able to either help you, or give you a definitive
        "no, that can't be done" answer.

        Java Kensai