Knowledge (__________)

  • bryan_j_maloney
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2002
      How do I put a "blank" Knowledge skill into a List file, that is, a
      Knowledge skill that is to be specified "on the fly" while using
      pcgen and doesn't require that I edit the list file to add a new
      knowledge skill?
    • Bob Galley
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26, 2002
        Speaking as a person who's had to drop in about 30 undocumented Knowledge
        Skills so far to make Know the School work (individual clans and dojos)....

        Right now, we can't. But I think there's a FREQ already posted for this
        fill-in-the-blank functionality -- we could use it on certain feats as well.

        BoB

      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3 5:48 AM
          You can create a new knowledge skill in a lst file that goes

          Knowledge (_______________) [using the underbar key].

          I had a Ride skill like that at one point, to write in the type of
          animal on (until I reread Ride and realised I didn't need it).

          Note that this will give you one 'fill in the blank' line. To get
          others vary the length (numbers) of the underbar character. Note that
          I couldn't get it to work using the [Space] character.

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Bob Galley" <gim@l...> wrote:
          > Speaking as a person who's had to drop in about 30 undocumented
          Knowledge
          > Skills so far to make Know the School work (individual clans and
          dojos)....

          > Right now, we can't. But I think there's a FREQ already posted for this
          > fill-in-the-blank functionality -- we could use it on certain feats
          as well.

          > BoB

        • Bob Galley
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3 1:47 PM
            This does provide 'fill in the blank' functionality ... for the hard copy
            you make of the character. However, if you set that character aside for
            three months, then come back to it without the hard copy in hand, you must
            then figure out what knowledge skill that was supposed to be. Also, if I
            write up a feat that looks for skills named: Knowledge*Clan* and
            Knowledge*Dojo*, like I really want to do for Know the School (although I
            currently have a passable workaround that requires adding the 'undocumented'
            knowledge feats), the code will not know what the underline truly stands
            for. Thus, the need for interactive fill in the blank functionality.

            BoB