Re: A class ability that assigns variable skill bonuses

  • delysawebb
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:

      > > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
      > > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
      > > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
      > > MULT:YES STACK:YES
      > > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
      > > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a
      > >
      > > And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus)
      in
      > > levels 1 and 5.
      >
      > Ah, I didn't try running it through an ADD:FEAT though... I wonder
      if
      > that changes it somehow.

      Well, I managed to come up with a rather clunky solution. I modified
      the feat to just have CHOOSE:Spot|Listen|Search, then in the class
      file I did the ADD:FEAT four separate times. I tried it using
      ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus)4, but that wouldn't let me pick a
      skill more than once (even though it was telling me I had four
      choices). By having four separate ADD statements per line, I get the
      results I want, even though I have to pick the skills one at a time.

      > Just a thought, but I'd drop _01 like a hot potato and get the
      > latest... when I was running _01 I had nothing but problems. It
      > probably has nothing to do with this, but you never know. :)

      I'll make a note to myself to upgrade when I get the chance.

      > I know NUMCHOICES is used in other files... just do a file search
      for
      > it and Windows should be able to point you to which files to look
      in.

      Yeah, actually found an example in the srdfeatshidden file (rogue's
      skill mastery). Unfortunately it didn't give me any insight as it
      seems to be structured exactly as you had it before.

      Del
    • Kuni Tetsu
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
        At 07:13 PM 11/5/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >Oh, and I also tried it with a 4 on the end of the CHOOSE instead of
        >a 1, and I get the same problem, except that it gives me the chance
        >to choose "Funclass Skill Bonus(4)".

        It sounds like the syntax CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=3|Spot|Listen|Search|4

        might be the answer. The skill 1 is likely due to the fact that the first
        argument is setting the number of list entries, not the number of choices
        you can make.

        Have you pursued that at all?