Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: A class ability that assigns variable skill bonuses

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
      > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
      > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
      > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
      > MULT:YES STACK:YES
      > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
      > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a
      >
      > And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus) in
      > levels 1 and 5.

      Ah, I didn't try running it through an ADD:FEAT though... I wonder if
      that changes it somehow.

      When I try your feat above as a regular "choice" feat I get three
      skills listed and I can choose all three the same but not a fourth one
      (problem I mentioned earlier).

      Very odd.

      > When I try to make a character with the new class, I get a window
      > that opens that lets me choose one (that's one, not four) of the
      > following:
      >
      > Funclass Skill Bonus(1)
      > Funclass Skill Bonus(Listen)
      > Funclass Skill Bonus(Search)
      > Funclass Skill Bonus(Spot)
      >
      > Now, whichever one I choose does get a +1 bonus (unless I pick
      > the "1" skill, of course).

      Stranger and stranger.

      > This is with PCGen 5.4, running on Java 1.4.1_01.

      Just a thought, but I'd drop _01 like a hot potato and get the
      latest... when I was running _01 I had nothing but problems. It
      probably has nothing to do with this, but you never know. :)

      I know NUMCHOICES is used in other files... just do a file search for
      it and Windows should be able to point you to which files to look in.

      Barak
      ~ PCGen BoD
      ~ OS Silverback
    • delysawebb
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:

        > > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
        > > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
        > > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
        > > MULT:YES STACK:YES
        > > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
        > > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a
        > >
        > > And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus)
        in
        > > levels 1 and 5.
        >
        > Ah, I didn't try running it through an ADD:FEAT though... I wonder
        if
        > that changes it somehow.

        Well, I managed to come up with a rather clunky solution. I modified
        the feat to just have CHOOSE:Spot|Listen|Search, then in the class
        file I did the ADD:FEAT four separate times. I tried it using
        ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus)4, but that wouldn't let me pick a
        skill more than once (even though it was telling me I had four
        choices). By having four separate ADD statements per line, I get the
        results I want, even though I have to pick the skills one at a time.

        > Just a thought, but I'd drop _01 like a hot potato and get the
        > latest... when I was running _01 I had nothing but problems. It
        > probably has nothing to do with this, but you never know. :)

        I'll make a note to myself to upgrade when I get the chance.

        > I know NUMCHOICES is used in other files... just do a file search
        for
        > it and Windows should be able to point you to which files to look
        in.

        Yeah, actually found an example in the srdfeatshidden file (rogue's
        skill mastery). Unfortunately it didn't give me any insight as it
        seems to be structured exactly as you had it before.

        Del
      • Kuni Tetsu
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
          At 07:13 PM 11/5/2003 +0000, you wrote:
          >Oh, and I also tried it with a 4 on the end of the CHOOSE instead of
          >a 1, and I get the same problem, except that it gives me the chance
          >to choose "Funclass Skill Bonus(4)".

          It sounds like the syntax CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=3|Spot|Listen|Search|4

          might be the answer. The skill 1 is likely due to the fact that the first
          argument is setting the number of list entries, not the number of choices
          you can make.

          Have you pursued that at all?