[TM] RE: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: A class ability that assigns variable skill bonuses

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003

      Oh ho... I should have tested a little fuurther, originally I just
      checked that you could select the same skill more than once. I didn't
      bother finishing the choices before I posted.

      While it will let me select the same one over and over, it appears to be
      limiting the number of choices to 3 instead of the four as instructed.

      More experimentation reveals that the chooser apparently only lets you
      choose as many items as there are choices (which would be appropriate
      when they aren't supposed to stack, but wrong when they are...)

      Could a TM create a FREQ/BUG (your choice... I think it's a bug
      personally) for this?

      Thanks!

      Barak
      ~ PCGen BoD
      ~ OS Silverback
    • delysawebb
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
        > It works. I just checked to make sure. (Although I did find the
        choose
        > needs to be changed to CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Search|Listen|1...
        Note
        > the 1 on the end instead of a 4).
        >
        > It really sounds like you didn't have STACK:YES in the feat
        before. Or
        > there was a bug that is now gone. :)
        >
        > Either way, it does work now.

        You know, I've always had trouble with any CHOOSE statement involving
        a NUMCHOICES. It never seems to work right for me. For example,
        when I tried to code this particular problem, I entered in my feat
        file:

        Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
        PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
        DESC:Funclass Special Ability
        MULT:YES STACK:YES
        CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
        BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a

        And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus) in
        levels 1 and 5.

        When I try to make a character with the new class, I get a window
        that opens that lets me choose one (that's one, not four) of the
        following:

        Funclass Skill Bonus(1)
        Funclass Skill Bonus(Listen)
        Funclass Skill Bonus(Search)
        Funclass Skill Bonus(Spot)

        Now, whichever one I choose does get a +1 bonus (unless I pick
        the "1" skill, of course).

        This is with PCGen 5.4, running on Java 1.4.1_01.

        I've had similar issues before. Just out of curiosity, do any of the
        other data files have an example of a NUMCHOICES that I could look at
        to see if I'm doing something wrong? Would this be caused by
        outdated code elsewhere in the file (some of my custom lst files are
        older and may have code that isn't used any more, but I haven't
        gotten around to updating them because they still work for me).

        Del
      • delysawebb
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "delysawebb" <D-L-
          Webb@a...> wrote:
          > You know, I've always had trouble with any CHOOSE statement
          involving
          > a NUMCHOICES. It never seems to work right for me. For example,
          > when I tried to code this particular problem, I entered in my feat
          > file:
          >
          > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
          > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
          > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
          > MULT:YES STACK:YES
          > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
          > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a

          Oh, and I also tried it with a 4 on the end of the CHOOSE instead of
          a 1, and I get the same problem, except that it gives me the chance
          to choose "Funclass Skill Bonus(4)".

          It seems to ignore the NUMCHOICES argument entirely, and it treating
          the number at the end like another choice on the list.

          Del
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
            > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
            > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
            > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
            > MULT:YES STACK:YES
            > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
            > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a
            >
            > And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus) in
            > levels 1 and 5.

            Ah, I didn't try running it through an ADD:FEAT though... I wonder if
            that changes it somehow.

            When I try your feat above as a regular "choice" feat I get three
            skills listed and I can choose all three the same but not a fourth one
            (problem I mentioned earlier).

            Very odd.

            > When I try to make a character with the new class, I get a window
            > that opens that lets me choose one (that's one, not four) of the
            > following:
            >
            > Funclass Skill Bonus(1)
            > Funclass Skill Bonus(Listen)
            > Funclass Skill Bonus(Search)
            > Funclass Skill Bonus(Spot)
            >
            > Now, whichever one I choose does get a +1 bonus (unless I pick
            > the "1" skill, of course).

            Stranger and stranger.

            > This is with PCGen 5.4, running on Java 1.4.1_01.

            Just a thought, but I'd drop _01 like a hot potato and get the
            latest... when I was running _01 I had nothing but problems. It
            probably has nothing to do with this, but you never know. :)

            I know NUMCHOICES is used in other files... just do a file search for
            it and Windows should be able to point you to which files to look in.

            Barak
            ~ PCGen BoD
            ~ OS Silverback
          • delysawebb
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:

              > > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
              > > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
              > > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
              > > MULT:YES STACK:YES
              > > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
              > > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a
              > >
              > > And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus)
              in
              > > levels 1 and 5.
              >
              > Ah, I didn't try running it through an ADD:FEAT though... I wonder
              if
              > that changes it somehow.

              Well, I managed to come up with a rather clunky solution. I modified
              the feat to just have CHOOSE:Spot|Listen|Search, then in the class
              file I did the ADD:FEAT four separate times. I tried it using
              ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus)4, but that wouldn't let me pick a
              skill more than once (even though it was telling me I had four
              choices). By having four separate ADD statements per line, I get the
              results I want, even though I have to pick the skills one at a time.

              > Just a thought, but I'd drop _01 like a hot potato and get the
              > latest... when I was running _01 I had nothing but problems. It
              > probably has nothing to do with this, but you never know. :)

              I'll make a note to myself to upgrade when I get the chance.

              > I know NUMCHOICES is used in other files... just do a file search
              for
              > it and Windows should be able to point you to which files to look
              in.

              Yeah, actually found an example in the srdfeatshidden file (rogue's
              skill mastery). Unfortunately it didn't give me any insight as it
              seems to be structured exactly as you had it before.

              Del
            • Kuni Tetsu
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                At 07:13 PM 11/5/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                >Oh, and I also tried it with a 4 on the end of the CHOOSE instead of
                >a 1, and I get the same problem, except that it gives me the chance
                >to choose "Funclass Skill Bonus(4)".

                It sounds like the syntax CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=3|Spot|Listen|Search|4

                might be the answer. The skill 1 is likely due to the fact that the first
                argument is setting the number of list entries, not the number of choices
                you can make.

                Have you pursued that at all?