RE: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: A class ability that assigns variable skill bonuses

  • Frugal
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
      <quote who="Barak">
      > FunFeat
      > TYPE:CustomFeat
      > STACK:YES
      > MULT:YES
      > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Search|Listen|4
      > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1
      >
      > Note, you must have MULT:YES to get the chooser, and STACK:YES to be
      > able to choose the same skill more than once.

      I seem to recall having problems with this. It will allow you to select 4
      skills each time you select it, and it will stack with skills you selected
      last time. My problem was that it would not let me select Spot 3 times,
      once I had selected Spot it moved from the top to the bottom of the choose
      dialog, so I could not select it again.

      Has this problem been fixed?

      --
      regards,
      Frugal
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003

        It works. I just checked to make sure. (Although I did find the choose
        needs to be changed to CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Search|Listen|1... Note
        the 1 on the end instead of a 4).

        It really sounds like you didn't have STACK:YES in the feat before. Or
        there was a bug that is now gone. :)

        Either way, it does work now.

        Barak
        ~ PCGen BoD
        ~ OS Silverback
      • Barak
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003

          Oh ho... I should have tested a little fuurther, originally I just
          checked that you could select the same skill more than once. I didn't
          bother finishing the choices before I posted.

          While it will let me select the same one over and over, it appears to be
          limiting the number of choices to 3 instead of the four as instructed.

          More experimentation reveals that the chooser apparently only lets you
          choose as many items as there are choices (which would be appropriate
          when they aren't supposed to stack, but wrong when they are...)

          Could a TM create a FREQ/BUG (your choice... I think it's a bug
          personally) for this?

          Thanks!

          Barak
          ~ PCGen BoD
          ~ OS Silverback
        • delysawebb
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
            > It works. I just checked to make sure. (Although I did find the
            choose
            > needs to be changed to CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Search|Listen|1...
            Note
            > the 1 on the end instead of a 4).
            >
            > It really sounds like you didn't have STACK:YES in the feat
            before. Or
            > there was a bug that is now gone. :)
            >
            > Either way, it does work now.

            You know, I've always had trouble with any CHOOSE statement involving
            a NUMCHOICES. It never seems to work right for me. For example,
            when I tried to code this particular problem, I entered in my feat
            file:

            Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
            PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
            DESC:Funclass Special Ability
            MULT:YES STACK:YES
            CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
            BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a

            And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus) in
            levels 1 and 5.

            When I try to make a character with the new class, I get a window
            that opens that lets me choose one (that's one, not four) of the
            following:

            Funclass Skill Bonus(1)
            Funclass Skill Bonus(Listen)
            Funclass Skill Bonus(Search)
            Funclass Skill Bonus(Spot)

            Now, whichever one I choose does get a +1 bonus (unless I pick
            the "1" skill, of course).

            This is with PCGen 5.4, running on Java 1.4.1_01.

            I've had similar issues before. Just out of curiosity, do any of the
            other data files have an example of a NUMCHOICES that I could look at
            to see if I'm doing something wrong? Would this be caused by
            outdated code elsewhere in the file (some of my custom lst files are
            older and may have code that isn't used any more, but I haven't
            gotten around to updating them because they still work for me).

            Del
          • delysawebb
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "delysawebb" <D-L-
              Webb@a...> wrote:
              > You know, I've always had trouble with any CHOOSE statement
              involving
              > a NUMCHOICES. It never seems to work right for me. For example,
              > when I tried to code this particular problem, I entered in my feat
              > file:
              >
              > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
              > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
              > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
              > MULT:YES STACK:YES
              > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
              > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a

              Oh, and I also tried it with a 4 on the end of the CHOOSE instead of
              a 1, and I get the same problem, except that it gives me the chance
              to choose "Funclass Skill Bonus(4)".

              It seems to ignore the NUMCHOICES argument entirely, and it treating
              the number at the end like another choice on the list.

              Del
            • Chris
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
                > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
                > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
                > MULT:YES STACK:YES
                > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
                > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a
                >
                > And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus) in
                > levels 1 and 5.

                Ah, I didn't try running it through an ADD:FEAT though... I wonder if
                that changes it somehow.

                When I try your feat above as a regular "choice" feat I get three
                skills listed and I can choose all three the same but not a fourth one
                (problem I mentioned earlier).

                Very odd.

                > When I try to make a character with the new class, I get a window
                > that opens that lets me choose one (that's one, not four) of the
                > following:
                >
                > Funclass Skill Bonus(1)
                > Funclass Skill Bonus(Listen)
                > Funclass Skill Bonus(Search)
                > Funclass Skill Bonus(Spot)
                >
                > Now, whichever one I choose does get a +1 bonus (unless I pick
                > the "1" skill, of course).

                Stranger and stranger.

                > This is with PCGen 5.4, running on Java 1.4.1_01.

                Just a thought, but I'd drop _01 like a hot potato and get the
                latest... when I was running _01 I had nothing but problems. It
                probably has nothing to do with this, but you never know. :)

                I know NUMCHOICES is used in other files... just do a file search for
                it and Windows should be able to point you to which files to look in.

                Barak
                ~ PCGen BoD
                ~ OS Silverback
              • delysawebb
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:

                  > > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
                  > > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
                  > > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
                  > > MULT:YES STACK:YES
                  > > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
                  > > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a
                  > >
                  > > And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus)
                  in
                  > > levels 1 and 5.
                  >
                  > Ah, I didn't try running it through an ADD:FEAT though... I wonder
                  if
                  > that changes it somehow.

                  Well, I managed to come up with a rather clunky solution. I modified
                  the feat to just have CHOOSE:Spot|Listen|Search, then in the class
                  file I did the ADD:FEAT four separate times. I tried it using
                  ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus)4, but that wouldn't let me pick a
                  skill more than once (even though it was telling me I had four
                  choices). By having four separate ADD statements per line, I get the
                  results I want, even though I have to pick the skills one at a time.

                  > Just a thought, but I'd drop _01 like a hot potato and get the
                  > latest... when I was running _01 I had nothing but problems. It
                  > probably has nothing to do with this, but you never know. :)

                  I'll make a note to myself to upgrade when I get the chance.

                  > I know NUMCHOICES is used in other files... just do a file search
                  for
                  > it and Windows should be able to point you to which files to look
                  in.

                  Yeah, actually found an example in the srdfeatshidden file (rogue's
                  skill mastery). Unfortunately it didn't give me any insight as it
                  seems to be structured exactly as you had it before.

                  Del
                • Kuni Tetsu
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                    At 07:13 PM 11/5/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                    >Oh, and I also tried it with a 4 on the end of the CHOOSE instead of
                    >a 1, and I get the same problem, except that it gives me the chance
                    >to choose "Funclass Skill Bonus(4)".

                    It sounds like the syntax CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=3|Spot|Listen|Search|4

                    might be the answer. The skill 1 is likely due to the fact that the first
                    argument is setting the number of list entries, not the number of choices
                    you can make.

                    Have you pursued that at all?