RE: [PCGenListFileHelp] A class ability that assigns variable skill bonuses

  • Paul Grosse
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 4, 2003
      Well depending on whether or not you trust your players :)

      Make a hidden feat that makes them choose a skill four times, and each
      time it adds an additional +1 bonus to the skill selected, so they could
      select the same skill four times or 4 separate skills, then on the first
      line of the class levels have PCGen auto add this feat and they will
      have to select the skills.

      Look at Skill Focus for an idea of how to code the feat.

    • delysawebb
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 4, 2003
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
        <pgrosse@m...> wrote:
        > Well depending on whether or not you trust your players :)
        >
        > Make a hidden feat that makes them choose a skill four times, and
        each
        > time it adds an additional +1 bonus to the skill selected, so they
        could
        > select the same skill four times or 4 separate skills, then on the
        first
        > line of the class levels have PCGen auto add this feat and they will
        > have to select the skills.
        >
        > Look at Skill Focus for an idea of how to code the feat.

        Okay, so something like this in the feat.lst -

        FunFeat CHOOSE:SKILLLIST|Spot|Search|Listen|1 BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1

        But done four times? How would I format it to make it work properly?
        Would it be:

        CHOOSE BONUS CHOOSE BONUS CHOOSE BONUS CHOOSE BONUS

        Or:

        CHOOSE CHOOSE CHOOSE CHOOSE BONUS

        Once the hidden feat is done, then in the class file you'd do -

        CLASS:FunClass
        3 ADD:FEAT(FunFeat)
        7 ADD:FEAT(FunFeat)

        Assuming you wanted the ability to come in at 3d and 7th level.

        This look right?
      • Barak
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 4, 2003

          Almost...

          FunFeat
          TYPE:CustomFeat
          STACK:YES
          MULT:YES
          CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Search|Listen|4
          BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1

          Note, you must have MULT:YES to get the chooser, and STACK:YES to be
          able to choose the same skill more than once.

          > But done four times? How would I format it to make it work properly?
          > Would it be:

          Nope, see above. :)

          > CLASS:FunClass
          > 3 ADD:FEAT(FunFeat)
          > 7 ADD:FEAT(FunFeat)

          That's about it. :)

          > This look right?

          Yep.

          Barak
          ~ PCGen BoD
          ~ OS Silverback
        • Frugal
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
            <quote who="Barak">
            > FunFeat
            > TYPE:CustomFeat
            > STACK:YES
            > MULT:YES
            > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Search|Listen|4
            > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1
            >
            > Note, you must have MULT:YES to get the chooser, and STACK:YES to be
            > able to choose the same skill more than once.

            I seem to recall having problems with this. It will allow you to select 4
            skills each time you select it, and it will stack with skills you selected
            last time. My problem was that it would not let me select Spot 3 times,
            once I had selected Spot it moved from the top to the bottom of the choose
            dialog, so I could not select it again.

            Has this problem been fixed?

            --
            regards,
            Frugal
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003

              It works. I just checked to make sure. (Although I did find the choose
              needs to be changed to CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Search|Listen|1... Note
              the 1 on the end instead of a 4).

              It really sounds like you didn't have STACK:YES in the feat before. Or
              there was a bug that is now gone. :)

              Either way, it does work now.

              Barak
              ~ PCGen BoD
              ~ OS Silverback
            • Barak
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003

                Oh ho... I should have tested a little fuurther, originally I just
                checked that you could select the same skill more than once. I didn't
                bother finishing the choices before I posted.

                While it will let me select the same one over and over, it appears to be
                limiting the number of choices to 3 instead of the four as instructed.

                More experimentation reveals that the chooser apparently only lets you
                choose as many items as there are choices (which would be appropriate
                when they aren't supposed to stack, but wrong when they are...)

                Could a TM create a FREQ/BUG (your choice... I think it's a bug
                personally) for this?

                Thanks!

                Barak
                ~ PCGen BoD
                ~ OS Silverback
              • delysawebb
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
                  > It works. I just checked to make sure. (Although I did find the
                  choose
                  > needs to be changed to CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Search|Listen|1...
                  Note
                  > the 1 on the end instead of a 4).
                  >
                  > It really sounds like you didn't have STACK:YES in the feat
                  before. Or
                  > there was a bug that is now gone. :)
                  >
                  > Either way, it does work now.

                  You know, I've always had trouble with any CHOOSE statement involving
                  a NUMCHOICES. It never seems to work right for me. For example,
                  when I tried to code this particular problem, I entered in my feat
                  file:

                  Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
                  PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
                  DESC:Funclass Special Ability
                  MULT:YES STACK:YES
                  CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
                  BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a

                  And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus) in
                  levels 1 and 5.

                  When I try to make a character with the new class, I get a window
                  that opens that lets me choose one (that's one, not four) of the
                  following:

                  Funclass Skill Bonus(1)
                  Funclass Skill Bonus(Listen)
                  Funclass Skill Bonus(Search)
                  Funclass Skill Bonus(Spot)

                  Now, whichever one I choose does get a +1 bonus (unless I pick
                  the "1" skill, of course).

                  This is with PCGen 5.4, running on Java 1.4.1_01.

                  I've had similar issues before. Just out of curiosity, do any of the
                  other data files have an example of a NUMCHOICES that I could look at
                  to see if I'm doing something wrong? Would this be caused by
                  outdated code elsewhere in the file (some of my custom lst files are
                  older and may have code that isn't used any more, but I haven't
                  gotten around to updating them because they still work for me).

                  Del
                • delysawebb
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "delysawebb" <D-L-
                    Webb@a...> wrote:
                    > You know, I've always had trouble with any CHOOSE statement
                    involving
                    > a NUMCHOICES. It never seems to work right for me. For example,
                    > when I tried to code this particular problem, I entered in my feat
                    > file:
                    >
                    > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
                    > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
                    > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
                    > MULT:YES STACK:YES
                    > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
                    > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a

                    Oh, and I also tried it with a 4 on the end of the CHOOSE instead of
                    a 1, and I get the same problem, except that it gives me the chance
                    to choose "Funclass Skill Bonus(4)".

                    It seems to ignore the NUMCHOICES argument entirely, and it treating
                    the number at the end like another choice on the list.

                    Del
                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                      > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
                      > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
                      > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
                      > MULT:YES STACK:YES
                      > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
                      > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a
                      >
                      > And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus) in
                      > levels 1 and 5.

                      Ah, I didn't try running it through an ADD:FEAT though... I wonder if
                      that changes it somehow.

                      When I try your feat above as a regular "choice" feat I get three
                      skills listed and I can choose all three the same but not a fourth one
                      (problem I mentioned earlier).

                      Very odd.

                      > When I try to make a character with the new class, I get a window
                      > that opens that lets me choose one (that's one, not four) of the
                      > following:
                      >
                      > Funclass Skill Bonus(1)
                      > Funclass Skill Bonus(Listen)
                      > Funclass Skill Bonus(Search)
                      > Funclass Skill Bonus(Spot)
                      >
                      > Now, whichever one I choose does get a +1 bonus (unless I pick
                      > the "1" skill, of course).

                      Stranger and stranger.

                      > This is with PCGen 5.4, running on Java 1.4.1_01.

                      Just a thought, but I'd drop _01 like a hot potato and get the
                      latest... when I was running _01 I had nothing but problems. It
                      probably has nothing to do with this, but you never know. :)

                      I know NUMCHOICES is used in other files... just do a file search for
                      it and Windows should be able to point you to which files to look in.

                      Barak
                      ~ PCGen BoD
                      ~ OS Silverback
                    • delysawebb
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:

                        > > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
                        > > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
                        > > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
                        > > MULT:YES STACK:YES
                        > > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
                        > > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a
                        > >
                        > > And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus)
                        in
                        > > levels 1 and 5.
                        >
                        > Ah, I didn't try running it through an ADD:FEAT though... I wonder
                        if
                        > that changes it somehow.

                        Well, I managed to come up with a rather clunky solution. I modified
                        the feat to just have CHOOSE:Spot|Listen|Search, then in the class
                        file I did the ADD:FEAT four separate times. I tried it using
                        ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus)4, but that wouldn't let me pick a
                        skill more than once (even though it was telling me I had four
                        choices). By having four separate ADD statements per line, I get the
                        results I want, even though I have to pick the skills one at a time.

                        > Just a thought, but I'd drop _01 like a hot potato and get the
                        > latest... when I was running _01 I had nothing but problems. It
                        > probably has nothing to do with this, but you never know. :)

                        I'll make a note to myself to upgrade when I get the chance.

                        > I know NUMCHOICES is used in other files... just do a file search
                        for
                        > it and Windows should be able to point you to which files to look
                        in.

                        Yeah, actually found an example in the srdfeatshidden file (rogue's
                        skill mastery). Unfortunately it didn't give me any insight as it
                        seems to be structured exactly as you had it before.

                        Del
                      • Kuni Tetsu
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                          At 07:13 PM 11/5/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                          >Oh, and I also tried it with a 4 on the end of the CHOOSE instead of
                          >a 1, and I get the same problem, except that it gives me the chance
                          >to choose "Funclass Skill Bonus(4)".

                          It sounds like the syntax CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=3|Spot|Listen|Search|4

                          might be the answer. The skill 1 is likely due to the fact that the first
                          argument is setting the number of list entries, not the number of choices
                          you can make.

                          Have you pursued that at all?