A class ability that assigns variable skill bonuses

  • delysawebb
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 4, 2003
      I'm not even sure where to start with this one.

      The class I'm trying to create gives the character a pool of bonus
      points to assign as they see fit to a certain number of skills. For
      example, at 3rd level they can assign up to 4 points (these are
      unnamed skill bonuses, not skill ranks) to Spot, Listen, or Search in
      any way they see fit (+4 to one and nothing to the rest; +1 to two
      and +2 to one; +3 to one, +1 to one, and nothing to the third, etc).
      They would get a similar pool at a later level.

      How would one go about making this work?

      Del
    • Paul Grosse
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 4, 2003
        Well depending on whether or not you trust your players :)

        Make a hidden feat that makes them choose a skill four times, and each
        time it adds an additional +1 bonus to the skill selected, so they could
        select the same skill four times or 4 separate skills, then on the first
        line of the class levels have PCGen auto add this feat and they will
        have to select the skills.

        Look at Skill Focus for an idea of how to code the feat.

      • delysawebb
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 4, 2003
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
          <pgrosse@m...> wrote:
          > Well depending on whether or not you trust your players :)
          >
          > Make a hidden feat that makes them choose a skill four times, and
          each
          > time it adds an additional +1 bonus to the skill selected, so they
          could
          > select the same skill four times or 4 separate skills, then on the
          first
          > line of the class levels have PCGen auto add this feat and they will
          > have to select the skills.
          >
          > Look at Skill Focus for an idea of how to code the feat.

          Okay, so something like this in the feat.lst -

          FunFeat CHOOSE:SKILLLIST|Spot|Search|Listen|1 BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1

          But done four times? How would I format it to make it work properly?
          Would it be:

          CHOOSE BONUS CHOOSE BONUS CHOOSE BONUS CHOOSE BONUS

          Or:

          CHOOSE CHOOSE CHOOSE CHOOSE BONUS

          Once the hidden feat is done, then in the class file you'd do -

          CLASS:FunClass
          3 ADD:FEAT(FunFeat)
          7 ADD:FEAT(FunFeat)

          Assuming you wanted the ability to come in at 3d and 7th level.

          This look right?
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 4, 2003
            > From: delysawebb [mailto:D-L-Webb@...]
            >
            > Okay, so something like this in the feat.lst -
            >
            > FunFeat CHOOSE:SKILLLIST|Spot|Search|Listen|1 BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1

            Almost...

            FunFeat
            TYPE:CustomFeat
            STACK:YES
            MULT:YES
            CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Search|Listen|4
            BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1

            Note, you must have MULT:YES to get the chooser, and STACK:YES to be
            able to choose the same skill more than once.

            > But done four times? How would I format it to make it work properly?
            > Would it be:

            Nope, see above. :)

            > CLASS:FunClass
            > 3 ADD:FEAT(FunFeat)
            > 7 ADD:FEAT(FunFeat)

            That's about it. :)

            > This look right?

            Yep.

            Barak
            ~ PCGen BoD
            ~ OS Silverback
          • Frugal
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
              <quote who="Barak">
              > FunFeat
              > TYPE:CustomFeat
              > STACK:YES
              > MULT:YES
              > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Search|Listen|4
              > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1
              >
              > Note, you must have MULT:YES to get the chooser, and STACK:YES to be
              > able to choose the same skill more than once.

              I seem to recall having problems with this. It will allow you to select 4
              skills each time you select it, and it will stack with skills you selected
              last time. My problem was that it would not let me select Spot 3 times,
              once I had selected Spot it moved from the top to the bottom of the choose
              dialog, so I could not select it again.

              Has this problem been fixed?

              --
              regards,
              Frugal
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                > From: Frugal [mailto:frugal@...]
                >
                > <quote who="Barak">
                > > FunFeat
                > > TYPE:CustomFeat
                > > STACK:YES
                > > MULT:YES
                > > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Search|Listen|4
                > > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1
                > >
                > > Note, you must have MULT:YES to get the chooser, and
                > STACK:YES to be
                > > able to choose the same skill more than once.
                >
                > I seem to recall having problems with this. It will allow you
                > to select 4 skills each time you select it, and it will stack
                > with skills you selected last time. My problem was that it
                > would not let me select Spot 3 times, once I had selected
                > Spot it moved from the top to the bottom of the choose
                > dialog, so I could not select it again.
                >
                > Has this problem been fixed?

                It works. I just checked to make sure. (Although I did find the choose
                needs to be changed to CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Search|Listen|1... Note
                the 1 on the end instead of a 4).

                It really sounds like you didn't have STACK:YES in the feat before. Or
                there was a bug that is now gone. :)

                Either way, it does work now.

                Barak
                ~ PCGen BoD
                ~ OS Silverback
              • Barak
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                  > From: Barak [mailto:barak@...]

                  > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Search|Listen|1

                  > It works. I just checked to make sure.

                  Oh ho... I should have tested a little fuurther, originally I just
                  checked that you could select the same skill more than once. I didn't
                  bother finishing the choices before I posted.

                  While it will let me select the same one over and over, it appears to be
                  limiting the number of choices to 3 instead of the four as instructed.

                  More experimentation reveals that the chooser apparently only lets you
                  choose as many items as there are choices (which would be appropriate
                  when they aren't supposed to stack, but wrong when they are...)

                  Could a TM create a FREQ/BUG (your choice... I think it's a bug
                  personally) for this?

                  Thanks!

                  Barak
                  ~ PCGen BoD
                  ~ OS Silverback
                • delysawebb
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
                    > It works. I just checked to make sure. (Although I did find the
                    choose
                    > needs to be changed to CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Search|Listen|1...
                    Note
                    > the 1 on the end instead of a 4).
                    >
                    > It really sounds like you didn't have STACK:YES in the feat
                    before. Or
                    > there was a bug that is now gone. :)
                    >
                    > Either way, it does work now.

                    You know, I've always had trouble with any CHOOSE statement involving
                    a NUMCHOICES. It never seems to work right for me. For example,
                    when I tried to code this particular problem, I entered in my feat
                    file:

                    Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
                    PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
                    DESC:Funclass Special Ability
                    MULT:YES STACK:YES
                    CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
                    BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a

                    And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus) in
                    levels 1 and 5.

                    When I try to make a character with the new class, I get a window
                    that opens that lets me choose one (that's one, not four) of the
                    following:

                    Funclass Skill Bonus(1)
                    Funclass Skill Bonus(Listen)
                    Funclass Skill Bonus(Search)
                    Funclass Skill Bonus(Spot)

                    Now, whichever one I choose does get a +1 bonus (unless I pick
                    the "1" skill, of course).

                    This is with PCGen 5.4, running on Java 1.4.1_01.

                    I've had similar issues before. Just out of curiosity, do any of the
                    other data files have an example of a NUMCHOICES that I could look at
                    to see if I'm doing something wrong? Would this be caused by
                    outdated code elsewhere in the file (some of my custom lst files are
                    older and may have code that isn't used any more, but I haven't
                    gotten around to updating them because they still work for me).

                    Del
                  • delysawebb
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "delysawebb" <D-L-
                      Webb@a...> wrote:
                      > You know, I've always had trouble with any CHOOSE statement
                      involving
                      > a NUMCHOICES. It never seems to work right for me. For example,
                      > when I tried to code this particular problem, I entered in my feat
                      > file:
                      >
                      > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
                      > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
                      > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
                      > MULT:YES STACK:YES
                      > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
                      > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a

                      Oh, and I also tried it with a 4 on the end of the CHOOSE instead of
                      a 1, and I get the same problem, except that it gives me the chance
                      to choose "Funclass Skill Bonus(4)".

                      It seems to ignore the NUMCHOICES argument entirely, and it treating
                      the number at the end like another choice on the list.

                      Del
                    • Chris
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                        > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
                        > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
                        > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
                        > MULT:YES STACK:YES
                        > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
                        > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a
                        >
                        > And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus) in
                        > levels 1 and 5.

                        Ah, I didn't try running it through an ADD:FEAT though... I wonder if
                        that changes it somehow.

                        When I try your feat above as a regular "choice" feat I get three
                        skills listed and I can choose all three the same but not a fourth one
                        (problem I mentioned earlier).

                        Very odd.

                        > When I try to make a character with the new class, I get a window
                        > that opens that lets me choose one (that's one, not four) of the
                        > following:
                        >
                        > Funclass Skill Bonus(1)
                        > Funclass Skill Bonus(Listen)
                        > Funclass Skill Bonus(Search)
                        > Funclass Skill Bonus(Spot)
                        >
                        > Now, whichever one I choose does get a +1 bonus (unless I pick
                        > the "1" skill, of course).

                        Stranger and stranger.

                        > This is with PCGen 5.4, running on Java 1.4.1_01.

                        Just a thought, but I'd drop _01 like a hot potato and get the
                        latest... when I was running _01 I had nothing but problems. It
                        probably has nothing to do with this, but you never know. :)

                        I know NUMCHOICES is used in other files... just do a file search for
                        it and Windows should be able to point you to which files to look in.

                        Barak
                        ~ PCGen BoD
                        ~ OS Silverback
                      • delysawebb
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:

                          > > Funclass Skill Bonus TYPE:Special VISIBLE:No
                          > > PRECLASS:1,Funclass=1
                          > > DESC:Funclass Special Ability
                          > > MULT:YES STACK:YES
                          > > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|Spot|Listen|Search|1
                          > > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 SOURCEPAGE:n/a
                          > >
                          > > And then in the class file, I put ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus)
                          in
                          > > levels 1 and 5.
                          >
                          > Ah, I didn't try running it through an ADD:FEAT though... I wonder
                          if
                          > that changes it somehow.

                          Well, I managed to come up with a rather clunky solution. I modified
                          the feat to just have CHOOSE:Spot|Listen|Search, then in the class
                          file I did the ADD:FEAT four separate times. I tried it using
                          ADD:FEAT(Funclass Skill Bonus)4, but that wouldn't let me pick a
                          skill more than once (even though it was telling me I had four
                          choices). By having four separate ADD statements per line, I get the
                          results I want, even though I have to pick the skills one at a time.

                          > Just a thought, but I'd drop _01 like a hot potato and get the
                          > latest... when I was running _01 I had nothing but problems. It
                          > probably has nothing to do with this, but you never know. :)

                          I'll make a note to myself to upgrade when I get the chance.

                          > I know NUMCHOICES is used in other files... just do a file search
                          for
                          > it and Windows should be able to point you to which files to look
                          in.

                          Yeah, actually found an example in the srdfeatshidden file (rogue's
                          skill mastery). Unfortunately it didn't give me any insight as it
                          seems to be structured exactly as you had it before.

                          Del
                        • Kuni Tetsu
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                            At 07:13 PM 11/5/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                            >Oh, and I also tried it with a 4 on the end of the CHOOSE instead of
                            >a 1, and I get the same problem, except that it gives me the chance
                            >to choose "Funclass Skill Bonus(4)".

                            It sounds like the syntax CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=3|Spot|Listen|Search|4

                            might be the answer. The skill 1 is likely due to the fact that the first
                            argument is setting the number of list entries, not the number of choices
                            you can make.

                            Have you pursued that at all?