user input

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2003
      Is there a way to accept user input for special abilities? I'm
      working on a class that has Favored Sport as a special ability.
      This works similarly to the Ranger's Favored Enemy. However, each
      time you get this, you must pick a specific sport; combative sports
      (boxing, fencing, etc.) can't be chosen but swimming or track and
      field have to be broken down int specific events.

      The problem...there are MANY possible sports out there. Is it
      possible to create a small list, and then have one (User Choice,
      perhaps) that will allow a pop-up so that the user can type their
      own sport in?

      Paul W. King
      OGL SB and BoD
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 12, 2003
        *bump*

        > Is there a way to accept user input for special abilities? I'm
        > working on a class that has Favored Sport as a special ability.
        > This works similarly to the Ranger's Favored Enemy. However, each
        > time you get this, you must pick a specific sport; combative sports
        > (boxing, fencing, etc.) can't be chosen but swimming or track and
        > field have to be broken down int specific events.
        >
        > The problem...there are MANY possible sports out there. Is it
        > possible to create a small list, and then have one (User Choice,
        > perhaps) that will allow a pop-up so that the user can type their
        > own sport in?
        >
        > Paul W. King
        > OGL SB and BoD
      • Paul Grosse
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 12, 2003
          Hmm, how is the ranger's selection done? Is that all coded in the hidden
          feat line or is it pulled from another file? Nope it's all in the hidden
          feat line.

          It sounds like it would have to be a GM controlled thing really. I'm
          assuming this is for a modern type source? If so why not just go to
          britannica.com and list all the sports listed in the encylopedia and
          then an "Other" category. I'm assuming this is like Knowledge and you
          can have multiple ranks in it applying to a single item or several
          items?

        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 24, 2003
            > It sounds like it would have to be a GM controlled thing really. I'm
            > assuming this is for a modern type source? If so why not just go to
            > britannica.com and list all the sports listed in the encylopedia and
            > then an "Other" category. I'm assuming this is like Knowledge and
            > you can have multiple ranks in it applying to a single item or
            > several items?

            I hadn't thought of going to britanica.com, will try that out later.

            No, its no like Knowledge. In this respect, its like Ranger's
            Favored Enemy; ie, Favored Enemy (Goblinoids) +2, Favored Enemy
            (Dragons) +1. So, you could have Favored Sport (baseball) +2,
            Favored Sport (100m freestyle) +1.

            Paul W. King
            OGL SB and BoD
          • Paul Grosse
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 24, 2003
              > > It sounds like it would have to be a GM controlled thing
              > really. I'm
              > > assuming this is for a modern type source? If so why not just go to
              > > britannica.com and list all the sports listed in the
              > encylopedia and
              > > then an "Other" category. I'm assuming this is like
              > Knowledge and you
              > > can have multiple ranks in it applying to a single item or several
              > > items?
              >
              > I hadn't thought of going to britanica.com, will try that out later.
              >
              > No, its no like Knowledge. In this respect, its like
              > Ranger's Favored Enemy; ie, Favored Enemy (Goblinoids) +2,
              > Favored Enemy
              > (Dragons) +1. So, you could have Favored Sport (baseball)
              > +2, Favored Sport (100m freestyle) +1.
              >
              > Paul W. King
              > OGL SB and BoD

              So you pick a new sport everytime you pick up a rank? Hmm, sounds like
              it would just be a modification of the Ranger code, done in a hidden
              feat style with SA tags. Or can you after you choose the 3rd rank that
              you want this sport and this sport gets an additional bonus? Or is it
              just like the 3.0 ranger and every thing previously selected gets a
              bonus?

              Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
              PCGen OGL Chimp & LST Lemure-in-training
              ICQ: 14397299
              AO: Nylan
              Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

              "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to
              keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein
            • taluroniscandar
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 24, 2003
                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <pgrosse@m...>
                wrote:
                > > > It sounds like it would have to be a GM controlled thing
                > > really. I'm
                > > > assuming this is for a modern type source? If so why not just go to
                > > > britannica.com and list all the sports listed in the
                > > encylopedia and
                > > > then an "Other" category. I'm assuming this is like
                > > Knowledge and you
                > > > can have multiple ranks in it applying to a single item or several
                > > > items?
                > >
                > > I hadn't thought of going to britanica.com, will try that out later.
                > >
                > > No, its no like Knowledge. In this respect, its like
                > > Ranger's Favored Enemy; ie, Favored Enemy (Goblinoids) +2,
                > > Favored Enemy
                > > (Dragons) +1. So, you could have Favored Sport (baseball)
                > > +2, Favored Sport (100m freestyle) +1.
                > >
                > > Paul W. King
                > > OGL SB and BoD
                > >

                > So you pick a new sport everytime you pick up a rank? Hmm, sounds like
                > it would just be a modification of the Ranger code, done in a hidden
                > feat style with SA tags. Or can you after you choose the 3rd rank that
                > you want this sport and this sport gets an additional bonus? Or is it
                > just like the 3.0 ranger and every thing previously selected gets a
                > bonus?

                Didn't he say that you could pick any sport you want? How big would
                THAT list be? urg!
              • Paul Grosse
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 24, 2003
                  > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <pgrosse@m...>
                  > > > really. I'm
                  > not just go
                  > > > encylopedia and
                  > > > Knowledge and you
                  > or several
                  > > >
                  > > > I hadn't thought of going to britanica.com, will try that
                  > out later.
                  > > >
                  > > > No, its no like Knowledge. In this respect, its like Ranger's
                  > > > Favored Enemy; ie, Favored Enemy (Goblinoids) +2, Favored Enemy
                  > > > (Dragons) +1. So, you could have Favored Sport (baseball)
                  > > > +2, Favored Sport (100m freestyle) +1.
                  > > >
                  > > > Paul W. King
                  > > > OGL SB and BoD
                  > > >

                  > > So you pick a new sport everytime you pick up a rank? Hmm,
                  > sounds like
                  > > it would just be a modification of the Ranger code, done in
                  > a hidden
                  > > feat style with SA tags. Or can you after you choose the
                  > 3rd rank that
                  > > you want this sport and this sport gets an additional
                  > bonus? Or is it
                  > > just like the 3.0 ranger and every thing previously selected gets a
                  > > bonus?
                  > >
                  > Didn't he say that you could pick any sport you want? How big
                  > would THAT list be? urg!

                  <Evil Grin>Hey as long as I'm not doing the code "I" don't care how long
                  the list is.</Evil Grin>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 25, 2003
                    > Or is it just like the 3.0 ranger and every thing previously
                    > selected gets a bonus?

                    Every prior sport gets an incremental bonus. And yes, that list
                    would be incredibly large. That's why I was looking for a way to do
                    user input...places the onus on the user to add a sport in there and
                    not the poor monkey who codes the lst file.

                    Paul W. King
                    OGL SB and BoD
                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 25, 2003
                      The user can just enter it on the abilities tab.

                      > > Or is it just like the 3.0 ranger and every thing previously
                      > > selected gets a bonus?
                      >
                      > Every prior sport gets an incremental bonus. And yes, that list
                      > would be incredibly large. That's why I was looking for a way to do
                      > user input...places the onus on the user to add a sport in there and
                      > not the poor monkey who codes the lst file.
                      >
                      > Paul W. King
                      > OGL SB and BoD

                    • Paul W. King
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 25, 2003
                        > The user can just enter it on the abilities tab.

                        Abilities tab? Do you mean the Summary tab, where the abilities
                        are? If so, how?

                        Paul W. King
                        OGL SB and BoD