Adding to spell DESC

  • sinari5
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2003
      I would like to add some campaign-specific info into some
      spell descriptions (namely that they work at the stated
      level only for self, for others they're one level higher).

      I know there's .MOD, but how can I use it to add stuff?
      So far I've only been able to replace the DESC, and I
      don't want that.

      Can I somehow concatenate a string into the previous
      value, something like:

      Resistance.MOD DESC:Resistance.DESC & Others + 1 level.

      Obviously the syntax is wrong, but how should I do it?
      Sinari
    • Eric Beaudoin
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 27, 2003
        At 07:47 2003.10.27, sinari5 wrote:
        >I would like to add some campaign-specific info into some
        >spell descriptions (namely that they work at the stated
        >level only for self, for others they're one level higher).
        >
        >I know there's .MOD, but how can I use it to add stuff?
        >So far I've only been able to replace the DESC, and I
        >don't want that.
        >
        >Can I somehow concatenate a string into the previous
        >value, something like:
        >
        >Resistance.MOD DESC:Resistance.DESC & Others + 1 level.
        >
        >Obviously the syntax is wrong, but how should I do it?
        >Sinari

        Unfortunately, the DESC overwrite previous value, it doesn't append to them. It's one of the tags that doesn't have a .CLEAR syntax with it.

        You can set up a FREQ on SourceForge for it but it will probably be put in low priority since it is not a functionality that would benefit the coding of new material for the standard distribution and if we would add a .CLEAR syntax to the DESC tags, it would mean a massive need of conversion for existing home files.

        I'm sorry, I don't think this is what you wanted to hear.

        √Čric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin (hiding in the trench)
        >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
        >> I know Tir's shameful secret!!!
        <mailto:beaudoer@...>
      • sinari5
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 28, 2003
          >>Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...> wrote:
          > Unfortunately, the DESC overwrite previous value, it doesn't append
          to them. It's one of the tags that doesn't have a .CLEAR syntax with
          it.

          Is there any way to "read" the value already stored in something
          like that so that I could use the previous value as a "base"
          and then add something to it?

          Something like:
          spell.MOD DESC=$spell.DESC additional info

          There are not that many spells so I can easily do it by hand.
          It would be just nice if there was an even easier way to do it :-)

          Sinari