Pre-Req on a skill?

  • Paul Grosse
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2003
      Can you have a PRESKILL req on a skill? My DM has that if you take a
      subskill of a broad catagory i.e. Craft (Armor: Chainmail), you get
      bonuses and such making chainmail and can create better chainmail than
      somebody that just has Craft (Armor). But you have to have at least
      one rank in the root skill. Because you have to learn the rudiments of
      crafting armor to make chainmail. Anyway could I just add
      PRESKILL:1,Craft (Armor) to Craft (Armor: Chainmail) and have it work
      right?

      Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
      PCGen OGL Gibbon
      ICQ: 14397299
      AO: Nylan
      Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

      "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race
      to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein
    • Ian Dale
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 3, 2003
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <pgrosse@m...>
        wrote:
        > Can you have a PRESKILL req on a skill? My DM has that if you take a
        > subskill of a broad catagory i.e. Craft (Armor: Chainmail), you get
        > bonuses and such making chainmail and can create better chainmail than
        > somebody that just has Craft (Armor). But you have to have at least
        > one rank in the root skill. Because you have to learn the rudiments of
        > crafting armor to make chainmail. Anyway could I just add
        > PRESKILL:1,Craft (Armor) to Craft (Armor: Chainmail) and have it work
        > right?

        Not sure, but I'd think it has a chance. However, you need to throw an
        "=1" on the end of that PRESKILL. :)

        -Ian
        LST Chimp
      • Thomas Jannes
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 3, 2003
          In one of the campains I play in, the characters have a 'dragon soul'.
          This 'dragon soul' can advance in levels, just as a normal character
          could, but it does not grant new HP, skills, feats to the character.
          It grants some benefits at some specific levels.

          In PCGen, the best way I found to take care of this, was to make
          templates, let's call them Dragon Soul lvl 1 to 10. If the character
          is a fighter, it will for instance give him a "fighter feat" every 3
          "dragon soul" levels. So I grant a feat for template lvl 1, template
          lvl 4 & 7 & 10. No problem so far.

          For a wizard, it raises the spellcaster level by one evert 3 levels.
          So I used:

          Wiz Drag Lvl 1 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)
          Wiz Drag Lvl 4 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)
          Wiz Drag Lvl 7 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)

          It does a lot of other stuff, but never mind all of that, it gives me
          no trouble :-)

          The problem is this: right after I add a template that grants a
          spellcaster level, I can see the number of allowed spells go up,
          sometimes even a new spelllevel being available. When the character is
          saved, closed and reopened again, it loses this extra spellcaster
          level it seems.

          Also, right after adding it, let's suppose I have a second 5th-level
          spell, I cannot add this second spell to a know spellbook, as if the
          spellcaster raise did not take place.

          So the big question is: is what I am trying to do possible using
          feats? If so, am I doing something wrong ? If not, any workarounds ?

          The trick is: I don't want to raise the actual Total Character Level
          when the dragon soul gains a level...

          Thomas/Chipoulou
          Mad OS Test Howler Monkey
        • Thomas Jannes
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2003
            > In one of the campains I play in, the characters have a 'dragon soul'.
            > This 'dragon soul' can advance in levels, just as a normal character
            > could, but it does not grant new HP, skills, feats to the character.
            > It grants some benefits at some specific levels.

            > In PCGen, the best way I found to take care of this, was to make
            > templates, let's call them Dragon Soul lvl 1 to 10. If the character
            > is a fighter, it will for instance give him a "fighter feat" every 3
            > "dragon soul" levels. So I grant a feat for template lvl 1, template
            > lvl 4 7 10. No problem so far.

            > For a wizard, it raises the spellcaster level by one evert 3 levels.
            > So I used:

            > Wiz Drag Lvl 1   ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)
            > Wiz Drag Lvl 4   ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)
            > Wiz Drag Lvl 7   ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)

            > It does a lot of other stuff, but never mind all of that, it gives me
            > no trouble :-)

            > The problem is this: right after I add a template that grants a
            > spellcaster level, I can see the number of allowed spells go up,
            > sometimes even a new spelllevel being available. When the character is
            > saved, closed and reopened again, it loses this extra spellcaster
            > level it seems.

            > Also, right after adding it, let's suppose I have a second 5th-level
            > spell, I cannot add this second spell to a know spellbook, as if the
            > spellcaster raise did not take place.

            > So the big question is: is what I am trying to do possible using
            > feats? If so, am I doing something wrong ? If not, any workarounds ?

            > The trick is: I don't want to raise the actual Total Character Level
            > when the dragon soul gains a level...

            Small update: when you do the ADD:SPELLCASTER in a class, it saves
            something like the next in the pcg file:
            [PROMPT:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)|CHOICE:Wizard]|

            If you do it through a template, you get the pop-up choice, but
            nothing gets saved. If you do it thourgh an object, like the rsrd
            Orange Ioun Stone, you do not even get the choice pop-up.

            Might this be a bug or freq ?

            Thomas/Chipoulou
            Mad OS Test Howler Monkey
          • Thomas Jannes
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2003
              >> In one of the campains I play in, the characters have a 'dragon soul'.
              >> This 'dragon soul' can advance in levels, just as a normal character
              >> could, but it does not grant new HP, skills, feats to the character.
              >> It grants some benefits at some specific levels.

              >> In PCGen, the best way I found to take care of this, was to make
              >> templates, let's call them Dragon Soul lvl 1 to 10. If the character
              >> is a fighter, it will for instance give him a "fighter feat" every 3
              >> "dragon soul" levels. So I grant a feat for template lvl 1, template
              >> lvl 4 7 10. No problem so far.

              >> For a wizard, it raises the spellcaster level by one evert 3 levels.
              >> So I used:

              >> Wiz Drag Lvl 1   ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)
              >> Wiz Drag Lvl 4   ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)
              >> Wiz Drag Lvl 7   ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)

              >> It does a lot of other stuff, but never mind all of that, it gives me
              >> no trouble :-)

              >> The problem is this: right after I add a template that grants a
              >> spellcaster level, I can see the number of allowed spells go up,
              >> sometimes even a new spelllevel being available. When the character is
              >> saved, closed and reopened again, it loses this extra spellcaster
              >> level it seems.

              >> Also, right after adding it, let's suppose I have a second 5th-level
              >> spell, I cannot add this second spell to a know spellbook, as if the
              >> spellcaster raise did not take place.

              >> So the big question is: is what I am trying to do possible using
              >> feats? If so, am I doing something wrong ? If not, any workarounds ?

              >> The trick is: I don't want to raise the actual Total Character Level
              >> when the dragon soul gains a level...

              > Small update: when you do the ADD:SPELLCASTER in a class, it saves
              > something like the next in the pcg file:
              > [PROMPT:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)|CHOICE:Wizard]|

              > If you do it through a template, you get the pop-up choice, but
              > nothing gets saved. If you do it thourgh an object, like the rsrd
              > Orange Ioun Stone, you do not even get the choice pop-up.

              > Might this be a bug or freq ?

              Almost thinking out loud. Maybe a workaround would be to present the
              choice between some other templates, one template to raise Wizard and
              one to raise Sorcerer. You lose some modularity, but because it's just
              my personal files, that doesn't matter that much.

              Too tired to test it righ now, but if someone has comments, please
              feel free ! I can use any ideas :)

              Thomas/Chipoulou
              Mad OS Test Howler Monkey
            • Thomas Jannes
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 4, 2003
                ---snip--
                >>> For a wizard, it raises the spellcaster level by one evert 3 levels.
                >>> So I used:

                >>> Wiz Drag Lvl 1   ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)
                >>> Wiz Drag Lvl 4   ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)
                >>> Wiz Drag Lvl 7   ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)

                -- snip --

                >> If you do it through a template, you get the pop-up choice, but
                >> nothing gets saved. If you do it thourgh an object, like the rsrd
                >> Orange Ioun Stone, you do not even get the choice pop-up.

                >> Might this be a bug or freq ?

                I found another way, I should have thought of it earlier:

                BONUS:PCLEVEL|Wizard|1

                But that still does not solve the trouble of the orange ioun stone

                Thomas/Chipoulou
                Mad OS Test Howler Monkey
              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 4, 2003
                  > In one of the campains I play in, the characters have a 'dragon soul'.
                  > This 'dragon soul' can advance in levels, just as a normal character
                  > could, but it does not grant new HP, skills, feats to the character.
                  > It grants some benefits at some specific levels.
                  >
                  > For a wizard, it raises the spellcaster level by one evert 3 levels.
                  > So I used:
                  >
                  > Wiz Drag Lvl 1 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)
                  > Wiz Drag Lvl 4 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)
                  > Wiz Drag Lvl 7 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)
                  >
                  > It does a lot of other stuff, but never mind all of that, it gives me
                  > no trouble :-)
                  >
                  > The problem is this: right after I add a template that grants a
                  > spellcaster level, I can see the number of allowed spells go up,
                  > sometimes even a new spelllevel being available. When the character is
                  > saved, closed and reopened again, it loses this extra spellcaster
                  > level it seems.
                  >
                  > Also, right after adding it, let's suppose I have a second 5th-level
                  > spell, I cannot add this second spell to a know spellbook, as if the
                  > spellcaster raise did not take place.
                  >
                  > So the big question is: is what I am trying to do possible using
                  > feats? If so, am I doing something wrong ? If not, any workarounds ?
                  >
                  > The trick is: I don't want to raise the actual Total Character Level
                  > when the dragon soul gains a level...

                  My 2¢: I don't know if the ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane) tag works correctly if
                  its not in a Class file, your experience suggests not. Does the Dragon soul
                  advance at the same rate as regular character levels, if it does my
                  suggestion would be to copy the Class data and rename the class something
                  like Sorcerer (Dragon Soul) and add the benefits there.

                  Good luck - Eddy
                • Paul W. King
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 9, 2003
                    > My 2¢: I don't know if the ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane) tag works
                    > correctly if its not in a Class file, your experience suggests not.
                    > Does the Dragon soul advance at the same rate as regular character
                    > levels, if it does my suggestion would be to copy the Class data
                    > and rename the class something like Sorcerer (Dragon Soul) and add
                    > the benefits there.

                    Would that work for not getting hit points though?

                    Paul W. King
                    OGL SB and BoD
                  • Thomas Jannes
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 9, 2003
                      >> My 2¢: I don't know if the ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane) tag works
                      >> correctly if its not in a Class file, your experience suggests not.
                      >> Does the Dragon soul advance at the same rate as regular character
                      >> levels, if it does my suggestion would be to copy the Class data
                      >> and rename the class something like Sorcerer (Dragon Soul) and add
                      >> the benefits there.

                      > Would that work for not getting hit points though?

                      > Paul W. King
                      > OGL SB and BoD

                      It would not help in this case, since the Dragon Souls can evolve
                      slower or faster than the main character. As I said before, I managed
                      to workaround with BONUS:PCLEVEL|Wizard|1

                      But the ADD:SPELLCASTER will have to be supported at least in the
                      equipment files for the Orange Ioun stone. It might be a good idea to
                      do it for templates as well.

                      Thomas/Chipoulou
                    • Eddy Anthony
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 9, 2003
                        I understand how to use the .MOD tag to add things to items. I there a way
                        to use .MOD to take things out? For example if I wanted to remove a skill
                        from a classes class skill list.

                        -Eddy
                      • Ian Dale
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 9, 2003
                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
                          wrote:
                          > I understand how to use the .MOD tag to add things to items. I there
                          a way
                          > to use .MOD to take things out? For example if I wanted to remove a
                          skill
                          > from a classes class skill list.
                          >
                          > -Eddy

                          The only way to remove pieces with .MOD is if having multiples of the
                          same tag don't add entries. I believe that CSKILL is one that adds to
                          the current list, so it wouldn't work.

                          But I know that there's been a lot of work on these sorts of things
                          recently, so who knows. :)

                          -Ian
                          LST Chimp
                        • Paul Grosse
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 9, 2003
                            Actually you would have to use CLEAR in your LST to clear the original
                            class line from the original class and then Add the class back in
                            minus the skill

                          • Felipe F. Diniz
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 9, 2003
                              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...>
                              wrote:
                              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > I understand how to use the .MOD tag to add things to items. I
                              there
                              > a way
                              > > to use .MOD to take things out? For example if I wanted to remove
                              > skill
                              > > from a classes class skill list.
                              > >
                              > > -Eddy
                              >
                              > The only way to remove pieces with .MOD is if having multiples of
                              the
                              > same tag don't add entries. I believe that CSKILL is one that adds
                              > the current list, so it wouldn't work.
                              >
                              > But I know that there's been a lot of work on these sorts of things
                              > recently, so who knows. :)
                              >
                              > -Ian
                              > LST Chimp

                              This was changed by FREQ [787792].

                              Here is the used syntax:

                              "Final proposed preferred syntax:
                              1) .CLEAR stuff only works within the same object, so this
                              would be a .MOD / .COPY thing.
                              2) CSKILL:.CLEAR would clear all previous CSKILL tags in the
                              MOD'd/COPY'd object
                              3) CSKILL:.CLEAR.Name would clear the skill with the exact
                              name 'Name'
                              4) CSKILL:.CLEAR.Name1|Name2|TYPE.Type1.Type2 would
                              clear the skills Name1 and Name2, and any Skills with both
                              Type1 and Type2
                              5) CSKILL:.CLEAR.TYPE.type1|TYPE.type2 would clear skills
                              with either type1 or type2"

                              Hope this works. :)

                              Felipe
                              - OS & Code Gibbon
                            • Eddy Anthony
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 9, 2003
                                Number 3 totally works for me! thanks Felipe.
                                This functionality is going to help me solve a lot of problems, Big thanks
                                to all the code monkeys out there.
                                -Eddy

                                Felipe F. Diniz wrote:

                                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...>
                                > wrote:
                                >> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
                                >> wrote:
                                >>> I understand how to use the .MOD tag to add things to items. I
                                > there
                                >> a way
                                >>> to use .MOD to take things out? For example if I wanted to remove
                                >> skill
                                >>> from a classes class skill list.
                                >>>
                                >>> -Eddy
                                >>
                                >> The only way to remove pieces with .MOD is if having multiples of
                                > the
                                >> same tag don't add entries. I believe that CSKILL is one that adds
                                >> the current list, so it wouldn't work.
                                >>
                                >> But I know that there's been a lot of work on these sorts of things
                                >> recently, so who knows. :)
                                >>
                                >> -Ian
                                >> LST Chimp
                                >
                                > This was changed by FREQ [787792].
                                >
                                > Here is the used syntax:
                                >
                                > "Final proposed preferred syntax:
                                > 1) .CLEAR stuff only works within the same object, so this
                                > would be a .MOD / .COPY thing.
                                > 2) CSKILL:.CLEAR would clear all previous CSKILL tags in the
                                > MOD'd/COPY'd object
                                > 3) CSKILL:.CLEAR.Name would clear the skill with the exact
                                > name 'Name'
                                > 4) CSKILL:.CLEAR.Name1|Name2|TYPE.Type1.Type2 would
                                > clear the skills Name1 and Name2, and any Skills with both
                                > Type1 and Type2
                                > 5) CSKILL:.CLEAR.TYPE.type1|TYPE.type2 would clear skills
                                > with either type1 or type2"
                                >
                                > Hope this works. :)
                                >

                                > Felipe
                                > - OS & Code Gibbon
                              • Ian Dale
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 9, 2003
                                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Felipe F. Diniz"
                                  <fdiniz@i...> wrote:
                                  > This was changed by FREQ [787792].
                                  >
                                  > Here is the used syntax:
                                  >
                                  > "Final proposed preferred syntax:
                                  > 1) .CLEAR stuff only works within the same object, so this
                                  > would be a .MOD / .COPY thing.
                                  > 2) CSKILL:.CLEAR would clear all previous CSKILL tags in the
                                  > MOD'd/COPY'd object
                                  > 3) CSKILL:.CLEAR.Name would clear the skill with the exact
                                  > name 'Name'
                                  > 4) CSKILL:.CLEAR.Name1|Name2|TYPE.Type1.Type2 would
                                  > clear the skills Name1 and Name2, and any Skills with both
                                  > Type1 and Type2
                                  > 5) CSKILL:.CLEAR.TYPE.type1|TYPE.type2 would clear skills
                                  > with either type1 or type2"
                                  >
                                  > Hope this works. :)

                                  Awesome, Felipe. :) The code just keeps getting better and better. :)

                                  -Ian
                                  LST Chimp