Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] stacking bonus tag types

  • Brad Franks
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
      So if the TYPE=NotRanged is left off then it is assumed that the type is a
      ranged weapon? In other words, it's not a boolean expression and one
      shouldn't assume that (when talking about weapon bonuses et al) that

      TYPE=Ranged does *not* exist and is presumed if no TYPE is specified.
      TYPE=NotRanged does exist and is used to define a non-ranged melee (sword)
      weapon.

      This is confusing on a coding standpoint. If you are going to have a tag it
      should be use appropriately globally.

      I think what Baz is going for is for a very worldly person to be able to
      take advantage of both their excellent hand-eye coordination and their life
      experiences with a particular ranged weapon when making ranged weapon
      attacks. Imagine if the Weapon Finesse feat stacked with your STR bonus so
      your to-hit would be STR+DEX. But in this case it would be DEX+WIS. Which,
      by the way, is exactly what the code you showed provided. :)

      Now lets step back into reality and look at Weapon Finesse as it is in the
      PHB, substituting your DEX for your STR on the TO-HIT for a particular
      weapon. Then let's *presume* that Weapon Finesse *did* allow you to stack on
      the same weapon which would allow you to use both STR and DEX. How would you
      code that?

      Brad

      BTW - I don;t know about everyone else, but *I* sure do appreciate the time
      and effort you put into responding to everyone's questions on this list. It
      would definitely not be the same place without you!

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
        well that doesn't work either. no matter what I try, with Ranged set
        to stacking and not stacking, it will not change the attack bonus
        with ranged weapons, hell even if I don't specify ranged weapons at
        all that formula doesn't work.

        you wrote BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|DEX+WIS but dont you need to use
        the STAT= to get the stat bonus?

        I even just tried BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|TYPE=Ranged|2 which
        didn't work either. I don't think its allowing any more bonuses for
        Ranged weapons

        wasn't there a feat in the wotc supplements called Zen Archery?
        didn't it allow wisdom bonus for archery and used it if it was higher
        than dex? how did that work?

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-
        gwaith@l...> wrote:
        > That won't work. TYPE=Ranged is not a formula.
        >
        > I'm not sure what you are aiming at. If you want a bonus to all
        ranged
        > weapons in the primary hand, I'm not sure how to do that exceot
        >
        > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|DEX+WIS
        > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|-1*(DEX+WIS)|TYPE=NotRanged
        >
        > Tir Gwaith
        > PCGen Data SB and BoD
      • Brad Franks
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
          IIRC (but don't quote me on it) it was a "dumb" feat in PCGen by simply
          replacing DEX with WIS with no logic, and I don't recall that it ever
          properly stacked them when taken multiple times. I thought they worked
          around it with an "Improved Zen Archery" that did add them and had the
          appropriate PrC and level as a preclass, but I don't recall that ever
          working or even being completed. All of it was removed from the
          distributions after 3.0 though, for obvious (IP) reasons.

          The application, code and the code monkeys have matured significantly since
          then though, so it will work properly when the splat books are released for
          PCGen I'm sure. For $5 it will probably be money well spent to avoid the
          frustration... :)

          Brad

          > wasn't there a feat in the wotc supplements called Zen Archery?
          > didn't it allow wisdom bonus for archery and used it if it was higher
          > than dex? how did that work?
        • Paul Grosse
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
            Look at how Weapon Finess is coded, I believe it allows the higher of
            the two. Although I don't see why anyone would take it if they didn't
            already have a higher dex.

          • Brad Franks
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
              It would seem that way, however there is a class in Sword and Fist that
              allows Zen Archery to stack, and when it does it adds both your WIS and DEX
              to your To Hit. It might not seem like a good idea at first (if your DEX is
              higher you will get that bonus instead of the WIS bonus), but it could mean
              a lot later in a characters progression when your +3 becomes a +5 to hit on
              ranged weapons as a SA.

              I find myself consistently playing melee classes (ranged and close combat)
              and anything that increases my melee bonuses is always nice... :)

              Brad

              > Look at how Weapon Finess is coded, I believe it allows the higher of
              > the two. Although I don't see why anyone would take it if they didn't
              > already have a higher dex.
            • Barak
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                > From: baz_kal [mailto:bazkal@...]
                >
                > well that doesn't work either. no matter what I try, with Ranged set
                > to stacking and not stacking, it will not change the attack bonus
                > with ranged weapons, hell even if I don't specify ranged weapons at
                > all that formula doesn't work.
                >
                > you wrote BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|DEX+WIS but dont you need to use
                > the STAT= to get the stat bonus?

                No.

                In PCGen STR,DEX,CON etc. all are the variable names for the stat
                modifier

                > I even just tried BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|TYPE=Ranged|2 which
                > didn't work either. I don't think its allowing any more bonuses for
                > Ranged weapons

                You need to understand the format...

                It's BONUS:Whats kind of bonus|What gets the bonus|the bonus|type of
                bonus for stacking.

                So BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|TYPE=Ranged|2 is completely invalid. It's
                trying to parse the TYPE=Ranged as a formula/number to get the bonus
                amount.

                I think Tir's solution would work if TYPE=NotRanged were working
                properly. It's been broken for a while now...

                Barak