stacking bonus tag types

  • baz_kal
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
      I'm trying to create a feat for a class I'm making where two
      bonus:combat types stack, namely wis and dex

      however it only seems to detect the dex bonus for combat, not the
      ranged bonus.

      I have these two specified one after the other in the feat in the lst
      file:

      BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|TYPE=Ranged|STAT=DEX
      BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|TYPE=Ranged|STAT=WIS

      How do I force PCGen to use both types for the bonus for only the one
      feat?

      bazkal
    • Paul Grosse
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
        Wouldn't this work?

        > I'm trying to create a feat for a class I'm making where two
        > bonus:combat types stack, namely wis and dex
        >
        > however it only seems to detect the dex bonus for combat, not the
        > ranged bonus.
        >
        > I have these two specified one after the other in the feat in the
        lst
        > file:
        >
        > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|TYPE=Ranged|STAT=DEX
        > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|TYPE=Ranged|STAT=WIS
        >
        > How do I force PCGen to use both types for the bonus for only the
        one
        > feat?
        >
        > bazkal

      • baz_kal
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
          nope doesn't work. I also tried modifying the bonusstacks.lst file
          and changed NotRanged to Ranged.

          tried many combinations of adding the bonus types, just can't get it
          to recognise both stats for ranged weapons

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
            That won't work. TYPE=Ranged is not a formula.

            I'm not sure what you are aiming at. If you want a bonus to all ranged
            weapons in the primary hand, I'm not sure how to do that exceot

            BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|DEX+WIS
            BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|-1*(DEX+WIS)|TYPE=NotRanged

            Tir Gwaith
            PCGen Data SB and BoD
          • Brad Franks
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
              So if the TYPE=NotRanged is left off then it is assumed that the type is a
              ranged weapon? In other words, it's not a boolean expression and one
              shouldn't assume that (when talking about weapon bonuses et al) that

              TYPE=Ranged does *not* exist and is presumed if no TYPE is specified.
              TYPE=NotRanged does exist and is used to define a non-ranged melee (sword)
              weapon.

              This is confusing on a coding standpoint. If you are going to have a tag it
              should be use appropriately globally.

              I think what Baz is going for is for a very worldly person to be able to
              take advantage of both their excellent hand-eye coordination and their life
              experiences with a particular ranged weapon when making ranged weapon
              attacks. Imagine if the Weapon Finesse feat stacked with your STR bonus so
              your to-hit would be STR+DEX. But in this case it would be DEX+WIS. Which,
              by the way, is exactly what the code you showed provided. :)

              Now lets step back into reality and look at Weapon Finesse as it is in the
              PHB, substituting your DEX for your STR on the TO-HIT for a particular
              weapon. Then let's *presume* that Weapon Finesse *did* allow you to stack on
              the same weapon which would allow you to use both STR and DEX. How would you
              code that?

              Brad

              BTW - I don;t know about everyone else, but *I* sure do appreciate the time
              and effort you put into responding to everyone's questions on this list. It
              would definitely not be the same place without you!

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                well that doesn't work either. no matter what I try, with Ranged set
                to stacking and not stacking, it will not change the attack bonus
                with ranged weapons, hell even if I don't specify ranged weapons at
                all that formula doesn't work.

                you wrote BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|DEX+WIS but dont you need to use
                the STAT= to get the stat bonus?

                I even just tried BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|TYPE=Ranged|2 which
                didn't work either. I don't think its allowing any more bonuses for
                Ranged weapons

                wasn't there a feat in the wotc supplements called Zen Archery?
                didn't it allow wisdom bonus for archery and used it if it was higher
                than dex? how did that work?

                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-
                gwaith@l...> wrote:
                > That won't work. TYPE=Ranged is not a formula.
                >
                > I'm not sure what you are aiming at. If you want a bonus to all
                ranged
                > weapons in the primary hand, I'm not sure how to do that exceot
                >
                > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|DEX+WIS
                > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|-1*(DEX+WIS)|TYPE=NotRanged
                >
                > Tir Gwaith
                > PCGen Data SB and BoD
              • Brad Franks
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                  IIRC (but don't quote me on it) it was a "dumb" feat in PCGen by simply
                  replacing DEX with WIS with no logic, and I don't recall that it ever
                  properly stacked them when taken multiple times. I thought they worked
                  around it with an "Improved Zen Archery" that did add them and had the
                  appropriate PrC and level as a preclass, but I don't recall that ever
                  working or even being completed. All of it was removed from the
                  distributions after 3.0 though, for obvious (IP) reasons.

                  The application, code and the code monkeys have matured significantly since
                  then though, so it will work properly when the splat books are released for
                  PCGen I'm sure. For $5 it will probably be money well spent to avoid the
                  frustration... :)

                  Brad

                  > wasn't there a feat in the wotc supplements called Zen Archery?
                  > didn't it allow wisdom bonus for archery and used it if it was higher
                  > than dex? how did that work?
                • Paul Grosse
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                    Look at how Weapon Finess is coded, I believe it allows the higher of
                    the two. Although I don't see why anyone would take it if they didn't
                    already have a higher dex.

                  • Brad Franks
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                      It would seem that way, however there is a class in Sword and Fist that
                      allows Zen Archery to stack, and when it does it adds both your WIS and DEX
                      to your To Hit. It might not seem like a good idea at first (if your DEX is
                      higher you will get that bonus instead of the WIS bonus), but it could mean
                      a lot later in a characters progression when your +3 becomes a +5 to hit on
                      ranged weapons as a SA.

                      I find myself consistently playing melee classes (ranged and close combat)
                      and anything that increases my melee bonuses is always nice... :)

                      Brad

                      > Look at how Weapon Finess is coded, I believe it allows the higher of
                      > the two. Although I don't see why anyone would take it if they didn't
                      > already have a higher dex.
                    • Barak
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                        > From: baz_kal [mailto:bazkal@...]
                        >
                        > well that doesn't work either. no matter what I try, with Ranged set
                        > to stacking and not stacking, it will not change the attack bonus
                        > with ranged weapons, hell even if I don't specify ranged weapons at
                        > all that formula doesn't work.
                        >
                        > you wrote BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|DEX+WIS but dont you need to use
                        > the STAT= to get the stat bonus?

                        No.

                        In PCGen STR,DEX,CON etc. all are the variable names for the stat
                        modifier

                        > I even just tried BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|TYPE=Ranged|2 which
                        > didn't work either. I don't think its allowing any more bonuses for
                        > Ranged weapons

                        You need to understand the format...

                        It's BONUS:Whats kind of bonus|What gets the bonus|the bonus|type of
                        bonus for stacking.

                        So BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|TYPE=Ranged|2 is completely invalid. It's
                        trying to parse the TYPE=Ranged as a formula/number to get the bonus
                        amount.

                        I think Tir's solution would work if TYPE=NotRanged were working
                        properly. It's been broken for a while now...

                        Barak