Base weapon types & proficiencies

  • ahrein
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1 8:29 PM
      I've created a class that has proficiencies in weapons not in the SRD
      (specifically, ninja-to and nekode, but I'm treading lightly because
      of intellectual property). I would like to add, not a custom weapon,
      but an actual new base weapon, and new proficiencies for those base
      weapons, but using the List Editor there's no way to do this.

      When I add the proficiencies manually to the srdweapprofs.lst file,
      it seems to work fine, and I can choose my new weapons as
      proficiencies. When I try to add entries into the srdequipmelee.lst
      file, however, no matter where I put them and what I try, they don't
      show up as equipment in the Inventory tab. Likewise, my character
      had custom equipment including a specific ninja-to that I expanded
      (manually) from the ninja-to base weapon, and PCGen kicks back an
      exception when it tries to load that weapon. So for some reason, the
      proficiency editing is working, but the weapon editing is not.

      The ninja-to is not a big deal, because it's got the exact same stats
      as another weapon already in the SRD, so I -could- just 'pretend',
      but the nekode has a specific use/bonus that makes it unique, so I'd
      really like to figure out a way to code them in (without just
      resorting to customizing a different base weapon to do it).

      Can anyone recognize the problem or help?
    • zachslists
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3 12:27 AM
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ahrein"
        <kurokensaki@h...> wrote:
        > I've created a class that has proficiencies in weapons not in the
        SRD
        > (specifically, ninja-to and nekode, but I'm treading lightly
        because
        > of intellectual property). I would like to add, not a custom
        weapon,
        > but an actual new base weapon, and new proficiencies for those
        base
        > weapons, but using the List Editor there's no way to do this.
        >
        > When I add the proficiencies manually to the srdweapprofs.lst
        file,
        > it seems to work fine, and I can choose my new weapons as
        > proficiencies. When I try to add entries into the
        srdequipmelee.lst
        > file, however, no matter where I put them and what I try, they
        don't
        > show up as equipment in the Inventory tab. Likewise, my character
        > had custom equipment including a specific ninja-to that I expanded
        > (manually) from the ninja-to base weapon, and PCGen kicks back an
        > exception when it tries to load that weapon. So for some reason,
        the
        > proficiency editing is working, but the weapon editing is not.
        >
        > The ninja-to is not a big deal, because it's got the exact same
        stats
        > as another weapon already in the SRD, so I -could- just 'pretend',
        > but the nekode has a specific use/bonus that makes it unique, so
        I'd
        > really like to figure out a way to code them in (without just
        > resorting to customizing a different base weapon to do it).
        >
        > Can anyone recognize the problem or help?

        Post the contents of the srdequipmentmelee file (just the line for
        your weapon, please!) for best results in determining the cause of
        the exception error. But honestly, I'd just manually edit the
        file. That'll solve your problem quick. Open the
        srdequipmentmelee.lst file with a simple text editor like Wordpad
        (when you double click it, you'll see the option to open it with a
        program from a list, or something similar, choose that, and then
        choose Wordpad).

        Now, scroll down until you find the weapon the ninja-to has the same
        stats as. Copy that line and then paste it, so that it's in the
        file twice. Then, just change the name on the second to ninja-to,
        and also change the name where it says "
        PROFICIENCY:Whatever". Change it to "PROFICIENCY:Ninja-to" (without
        the quotes). And that should work.

        - Z a c h
      • Paul Grosse
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3 5:40 AM
          > Post the contents of the srdequipmentmelee file (just the line for
          > your weapon, please!) for best results in determining the cause of
          > the exception error. But honestly, I'd just manually edit the
          > file. That'll solve your problem quick. Open the
          > srdequipmentmelee.lst file with a simple text editor like Wordpad
          > (when you double click it, you'll see the option to open it with a
          > program from a list, or something similar, choose that, and then
          > choose Wordpad).
          >
          > Now, scroll down until you find the weapon the ninja-to has the same
          > stats as. Copy that line and then paste it, so that it's in the
          > file twice. Then, just change the name on the second to ninja-to,
          > and also change the name where it says "
          > PROFICIENCY:Whatever". Change it to "PROFICIENCY:Ninja-to" (without
          > the quotes). And that should work.
          >

          > - Z a c h

          Just as a note that if you use Wordpad it saves it as a default RTF.
          Using notepad with wrapping turned off works better :)

          Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
          PCGen OGL Gibbon
          ICQ: 14397299
          AO: Nylan
          Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

          "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race
          to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein
        • Kent at Home
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3 5:59 AM
            From: "Paul Grosse"
            Subject: [PCGenListFileHelp] Editors

            > Just as a note that if you use Wordpad it saves it as a default RTF.
            > Using notepad with wrapping turned off works better :)

            Personally, I long ago changed ".lst" to a recognized file type for WordPad. A
            double click opens the list files for editing and notepad makes no changes when
            saving them.

            Kent
            (no, the other kent)
          • Paul Grosse
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3 6:10 AM
              > > Just as a note that if you use Wordpad it saves it as a default
              RTF.
              > > Using notepad with wrapping turned off works better :)
              > >
              > Personally, I long ago changed ".lst" to a recognized file
              > type for WordPad. A
              > double click opens the list files for editing and notepad
              > makes no changes when
              > saving them.
              >
              > Kent
              > (no, the other kent)

              yes, but you can never make assumtions about somebody else's computer
              settings. So it's always safer to point them to Notepad :)
            • Paul Grosse
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4 10:04 AM

                > I've created a class that has proficiencies in weapons not in the
                SRD
                > (specifically, ninja-to and nekode, but I'm treading lightly because
                > of intellectual property). I would like to add, not a custom
                weapon,
                > but an actual new base weapon, and new proficiencies for those base
                > weapons, but using the List Editor there's no way to do this.
                >
                > When I add the proficiencies manually to the srdweapprofs.lst file,
                > it seems to work fine, and I can choose my new weapons as
                > proficiencies. When I try to add entries into the srdequipmelee.lst
                > file, however, no matter where I put them and what I try, they don't
                > show up as equipment in the Inventory tab. Likewise, my character
                > had custom equipment including a specific ninja-to that I expanded
                > (manually) from the ninja-to base weapon, and PCGen kicks back an
                > exception when it tries to load that weapon. So for some reason,
                the
                > proficiency editing is working, but the weapon editing is not.
                >
                > The ninja-to is not a big deal, because it's got the exact same
                stats
                > as another weapon already in the SRD, so I -could- just 'pretend',
                > but the nekode has a specific use/bonus that makes it unique, so I'd
                > really like to figure out a way to code them in (without just
                > resorting to customizing a different base weapon to do it).
                >
                > Can anyone recognize the problem or help?

                Ahrein, not sure if anyone got back to you on this. I was just looking
                through the posts and noticed it. Also for anyone else this is a quick
                and dirty way to create a custom weapon and the associated proficiency
                for it.

                What you will want to do is create your own lst files instead of
                altering the SRD ones, because when you install the next version of
                PCGen you will have to alter the SRD set again, and again, and
                again...

                Open notepad (assuming you are using Windows, not sure what Mac uses)
                create a text file called mystuff.pcc (or something like that) in the
                data directory under a folder marked the same name as the pcc file.

                Put in that file

                CAMPAIGN:My Stuff
                RANK:9
                GAME:DnD
                SOURCELONG:My stuff
                SOURCESHORT:Mine

                WEAPONPROF:MystuffWeapprofs.lst
                EQUIPMENT:MystuffWeapons.lst

                Now save that in the folder you made under the data directory. Then
                hit file-new in notepad put in that file...please note that each line
                is actually a tab but it's easier to write this way in a email

                <name of weapon>[tab]
                TYPE:<what type of weapon it is martial, exotic, simple>[tab]
                HANDS:<if it can be used with two hands leave this out, if it can be
                used one hand only put a 1 here, if it's two hands only put a 2>

                and save it as mystuffweapons.lst in the same folder. Then hit
                file-new in notepad put in that file...

                <name of weapon>[tab]
                PROFICENCY:<name of weapon>[tab]
                TYPE:<what type of weapon it is>[tab]
                COST:<the cost of the weapon>[tab]
                WT:<How much it weighs>[tab]
                CRITMULT:<what the multiplier is for criticals, x2,x3 etc.>[tab]
                CRITRANGE:<how large the threat range is, if it's 20 then put 1, if
                it's 19-20 put 2, if it's 18-20 put 3 etc.>[tab]
                DAMAGE:<what the damage of the weapon is>[tab]
                SIZE:<the size of the weapon, T=tiny, M=Medium, L=Large>[tab]
                SA:<If it has any special properties add them here>

                Now if it's a martial, or a simple weapon and the char has those feets
                due to a class he will automatically be proficient with it. If it's a
                exotic weapon, and he has taken a feat for it just give one feat point
                and take Exotic Weapon feat and the weapon should be there if you did
                it all right.