No known spells showing up

  • apenhiter
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
      I have a custom class that casts Arcane spells. When I go to create
      my character it shows no known spells. I have tried the tags:
      KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=0 (like in the srd)
      KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|etc , and KNOWNSPELLS:TYPE=Arcane. None
      of these seem to work for me. I'd just use the CASTAS: tag, but the
      class has different numbers of spells a day than a wizard. Anyone
      have any idea what i'm doing wrong here?
      Antony Penhiter
    • Barak
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
        It sounds like you don't have a spell list defined for your class.

        You need to do 1 of 2hings:

        1) create a new spell file and use .MOD to add the class name to the
        spells that are available to the class.

        OR

        2) Edit the SRD spell list and add your classes name to the CLASSES tag.
        This is not recommended as this file would get overwritten if you
        install a new verion in your old directory.

        Barak
        ~ PCGen BoD
        ~ OS Silverback

      • Barak
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
          Oops, forgot, you can also use the SPELLLIST tag to give your class the
          same spell list as another class.

          SPELLLIST:1|Wizard etc.

          Sorry 'bout that.

          Barak

        • Antony Penhiter
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
            Two questions:
            1. Does the SPELLLIST tag change the spells per day to the norm for the wizard?
            2. How do you make a custom spell list? Is there an example in the data files somewhere?
            Antony
            Oops, forgot, you can also use the SPELLLIST tag to give your class the
            same spell list as another class.

            SPELLLIST:1|Wizard  etc.

            Sorry 'bout that.

            Barak

          • Barak
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
              Message
              The spell list is completely different form the spellcasting progression.

              SPELLLIST will give the same spell list.  CASTAS will give the same known/per day progression.

              As for making a custom list, it's just like the regular one .  You can open srdspells.lst., edit it, and save it off under a different name.  Or you can simply imitate it in a brand new file (probably best).

              Then just create a .PCC file that references your new file, load it with the rest of your sources after you start PCGen, and away you go.

              Barak

              1. Does the SPELLLIST tag change the spells per day to the norm for the wizard?
              2. How do you make a custom spell list? Is there an example in the data files somewhere?
              Antony
              Oops, forgot, you can also use the SPELLLIST tag to give your class the
              same spell list as another class.

              SPELLLIST:1|Wizard  etc.

              Sorry 'bout that.

              Barak