Need help adding races to the Hunter's Bond companion list...

  • Joshua Scott
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2014
      Just like the subject says, for some reason I can't get my new races to show up on the CompanionList.

      I've created two new races Panther and Panther (Dire). I've also created two corresponding Races in the my_races_companion.lst. Now, I can get them to show up as potential Druid animal companions with this line in the my_abilities.lst:

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Nature's Bond ~ Animal Companion.MOD    COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|Companion (Panther)    COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|Companion (Panther (Dire))|PREVARGTEQ:TL,7

      But, using a similar line for Companion ~ Hunter's Bond does bupkiss:

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Companion ~ Hunter's Bond.MOD            COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|Companion (Panther)|PREVARGTEQ:TL,4    COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|Companion (Panther (Dire))|PREVARGTEQ:TL,10

      The really frustrating part is that I figured the methodology for Ranger's would be really similar, if not identical, to the process for Druids. (I mean why should it be radically different to do the exact same thing with a different class?) And I even copied the second line from the Rise of the Runelords player guide and that doesn't work either:

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Companion ~ Hunter's Bond.MOD        COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|Cindersnake,Donkey Rat,Storm Roc    COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|Auroch,Fire Pelt|FOLLOWERADJUSTMENT:-3

      I tested it and the Cindersnake (for example) shows up for Druids, but not for Rangers.

      So, could somebody point me in the right direction as to how I can add races to the Ranger's CompanionList? Also just to save me some time, could somebody give me an idea as to where the CompanionLists for Cavaliers and Paladins are stored so I can add to those lists as well? (ie, CATEGORY=Special Ability|<Name of the Relevant Ability>.MOD)

      Thanks In Advance!
      -J

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2014
        Hi Joshua,

        It looks spot on, so I can only assume that we need to debug the issue.

        No Spaces before or after the tags?
        You are actually loading the files that has the .MOD? (PCC file is loading it, no spelling errors, etc.)
        No errors in the log? (F10 to bring it up) If you have a green light in the lower right corner then you are fine, red is bad.

        The paladin is uniquely set up, you can choose the normal selections, or have everything, that's what I set up. If you want to make your own selections add this and alter it to suit your needs:

        Your Choices    KEY:Your Choices ~ Special Mount    CATEGORY:Internal        TYPE:SpecialMountSelection                    COMPANIONLIST:Special Mount|Companion (Boar),Companion (Cat (Big (Lion))),Companion (Cat (Big (Tiger))),Companion (Dog),Companion (Horse),Companion (Pony),Companion (Shark),Companion (Wolf)

        Then select "Your Choices" from the list, the paladin automatically adds the "Standard Choices" but will remove it if you select "Your Choices" or the "Expanded Choices"

        Cavalier is identical to Paladin with the only exception: Change the "Standard Choices" to a different name and go to town.

        Standard Choices    KEY:Standard Choices ~ Cavalier Mount    CATEGORY:Internal        TYPE:CavalierMountSelection                    COMPANIONLIST:Cavalier Mount|Companion (Camel),Companion (Horse)|PRESIZEEQ:M    COMPANIONLIST:Cavalier Mount|Companion (Pony),Companion (Wolf)|PRESIZEEQ:S    COMPANIONLIST:Cavalier Mount|Companion (Boar),Companion (Dog)|PRECLASS:1,Cavalier=4|PRESIZEEQ:S            SOURCEPAGE:p.51

        Cheers,

        Andrew

        On 3/12/2014 11:52 PM, Joshua Scott wrote:
[...]

      • joshinsd
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2014
          Finally figured out what the problem was... Basically, what I'm working toward is implementing the Monstrous Mounts version of the Leadership feat. So, I was trying to the TL for a Leadership-style level calculation to determine Race visibility on the relevant CompanionLists. But, I was testing it with a Barbarian 5/ Ranger 5 character and PCGen was only using the Ranger Level to determine visibility. So, the level wasn't high enough for anything to show up. I was using a single-classed Druid to test the Druid stuff. So, it's level was high enough.

          What I think I'm going to do is just continue with the Monstrous Mount stuff the way I've got it set up for Paladins and Cavaliers. I got that working properly with adding an additional Monstrous Mounts category for mount selection. So, I'm just going to implement third version of the same type feat that will apply to all the other classes which don't normally get a mount. Which, if I'm reading the rulebook correctly, should be how I'm supposed to do it anyway! :)

          Thanks for your help!
          -J