Need some help adding a Smoke Mephit as a Hombrew Improved Familiar...

  • Joshua Scott
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2014
      Hey There Everybody!

      I'm sorry if this is the wrong board to post this to, but as far as I could tell the class board has been closed?

      Either way, I'm having some trouble with creating a Smoke Mephit familiar and adding it to the Improved Familiars list.

      Here's a list of the files I've edited (including links so y'all can look at them):

      my_races.lst
      my_races_companion.lst
      my_abilities.lst
      my_abilities_companion.lst
      my_kits.lst
      my_kits_companion.lst
      my_feats.lst

      My races are showing up in the relevant menus and the stats at least for my base smoke mephit are showing up properly. The main problem I'm having is that when I select the Familiar (Mephit (Smoke)), all of the bonuses and additional stuff specified in the my_races smoke mephit disappear. It just gets the basic familiar bonus abilities and the level progression stuff from the familiar. Also, all of the ability scores revert to 10's with a +2 bonus (raising it to 12) on Int.

      If y'all could give me an idea what I'm doing wrong, I'd be incredibly grateful. I tried my best by just trying to see what was going on with the other Mephits, but I think I either flubbed it somewhere along the way or there's an additional file or two that I have to edit and I just didn't realize I need to.

      Thanks In Advance!

      -J

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7, 2014
          Well honestly, I took a look at the cr_companionmods file and that's just got the basic stuff in it for familiars (ie, Empathic Link, Share Spells, etc.). So, basically, it looks like the stuff that's in the companionmods file is what get's added to the base race if it becomes a companion. Which kind of makes sense given the name.

          Thanks for the suggestion, though.

          -J
        • joshinsd
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2014
            Well, I took a look at the cr_companionmods file when I started working on it. But that looked like it just added on the general feats and other miscelleany for becoming a familiar. So I didn't do anything with the my_companionmods file.

            -J
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2014
              Well, eyeballing and using the data are two different things. Anyway you can zip just the files you are using and a copy of the master/companion and I'll take a look at it.

              Send it to helpATpcgenDOTorg

              Cheers,

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 7, 2014
                Thanks for trying to help... BUUUUUT... I'm an idiot! I checked the *.pcc and I didn't have the extra companion-specific *.lst's in there! Doh! :)
                Thanks Again!
                -J