Choosing Special Abilities

  • Laura Morris
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 20, 2013
      If I want to choose special abilities for each character, (classless style system), how might I program that into my .lst files for races (or anything else appropriate)?  I don't care if it's a "chooser" or just adding the abilities the way you normally add feats, or something else.  Is it even possible?  I'm interested in choosing from all special abilities, not just a subset.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 20, 2013
        Hi Laura,

        The short answer is yes. The long answer would be delving into what special abilities - everything ever entered in PCGen, a user created list, or something from a sourcebook. Knowing what exactly you want would shape the answer in part, the second portion is what costs are associated with picking these abilities? Eclipse is centered around a 6 point cost, others have a variable cost based upon tiers or how much you've taken.

        I entered an entirely classless system into pcgen (The aforementioned Eclipse), not the prettiest thing accomplished, but when you have a flexible system tacked onto a rules based program, you'll run into some difficulties. One day, I hope the system will support the various nuances the classless system has. If you have the answers to those two questions, then I can offer guidance on how to set it up.

        Cheers,

        On 10/20/2013 8:14 PM, Laura Morris wrote:
        If I want to choose special abilities for each character, (classless style system), how might I program that into my .lst files for races (or anything else appropriate)?  I don't care if it's a "chooser" or just adding the abilities the way you normally add feats, or something else.  Is it even possible?  I'm interested in choosing from all special abilities, not just a subset.

      • afd689a1fda73006ee4a2568e4caaecd

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 21, 2013
            Hi,

            I don't think I've ever heard of it. My first encounter with a classless system was d(liberation)20 by Red Leaf Publishing - played it all of two sessions before moving to the immensely powerful and flexible 'Eclipse d20 pointbuy' by Distant Horizons Games. I've looked at By the Numbers, and Big Eyes Small Mouth system. Unfortunately the ones I reviewed don't compare to the flexibility and expandability of Eclipse, which is why I've stuck with it for the past three years. All my players like it, and don't want to go back.

            Eclipse - Abilities have a fixed cost, which may be altered by the user based upon the limitations they impose. Handles Races, Classes and Templates, along with Items. Fixed Progression for Points. Steep learning curve but once you master the basics, it's not hard to make whatever you want.

            By the Number - Limited selections, not very flexible in terms of what you can gain. Spends XP with a complex chart based upon the ability. (I would not want to have to program this style as it's not easy).

            d(liberation) limited abilities to PHB and DMG - no real room to expand beyond the basic options, complex skill and feat system (PCGen would not be handling this with any ease).

            BESM - Fixed cost, but arbitrary in application, suffers from the same issue as d(liberation)20, only supplies abilities from the core books, and vague guidelines for adding anything else.

            Based upon how the homebrew system is designed, you'll either have a fairly easy time, or you'll be begging a Data Chimp to help.

            Anyways, programming the data isn't typically hard, it's just determining how you want to access it. Abilities are the sure fire method in my book, being immensely versatile and able to handle most anything.

            What you will need is - COST - fixed or Variable? Is it per ability? (As I've laid out from the few systems I've encountered, knowing how to cost for abilities will be the foundation of the system - after that is understanding how you gain the points.

            Once those two things are handled, you can pretty much go from there.

            Cheers,