help making custom temp bonus d&d

  • specialchildeexchangeorg
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 20, 2013
      hi Everyone i hope this is the right place for this kind of help i am playing huge D&d campaign and been using pcgen for over a year now i have recently have a need to start building custom temp bonuses i saw a old ver5.14 that had Inventory Temporary Bonus Sub-Tab is this feature still in 6.00.01 or is there anyway to build a bonus with zero programming knowledge

       thanks for any help
    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 20, 2013
        Hi Steve,

        In 6.0 the Temp Bonuses tab is no longer under Inventory, It has a tab all of their own called a Temporary Bonuses. In order to have bonuses show up there they must be included within an Ability (ie class, trait, feat, etc.), Template, Spell, or piece of equipped equipment.

        Many temp bonuses are already available through the Temp Bonus tab but if you are looking to add custom temp bonuses that is fairly simple to do and does really require you to do any real programming.

        First question I have have is what gamemode and sources are you using?

        Next, can you give us an example of a temp bonus you wish to implement?

        Have you tried to create a homebrew data set yet?

        Finally, have you looked through the PCGen documentation? There is a lot of info there and though you will get lots of help here, it is a good idea to look through the docs as you build your data set as that will, hopefully, help you understand how things are set up.

        Maredudd

        On Oct 20, 2013, at 3:11 PM, <steve@...> <steve@...> wrote:

        > hi Everyone i hope this is the right place for this kind of help i am playing huge D&d campaign and been using pcgen for over a year now i have recently have a need to start building custom temp bonuses i saw a old ver5.14 that had Inventory Temporary Bonus Sub-Tab is this feature still in 6.00.01 or is there anyway to build a bonus with zero programming knowledge
        >
        > thanks for any help

      • Steve Gay
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 20, 2013
          We are playing the srd3.0 mods and the temp bonuses I would like to make
          is called

          Abomination Rage

          Attack bonus "bite 1d6" + "1d4 poison" +str mod
          Flexible Torso +1 Reflex saves

          Special Attacks
          Tale 1d6+ str mod Constrict
          Arms Bite 1d6 + 1d4
          +4 ac "Natural armor
          Movement 30ft

          I might have been blessed by a Fey most recently and with and goddess Luna
          has granted me these special powers

          LOVE · HOPE · SUPPORT
          Steve Gay Director, Special Child Ministries
          Tel: (425) 954-7510| Mobile: 425-622-0114
          www.specialchildmin.org
          Yahoo! Groups
          Special Child Online support | Special Child Classifieds

          <steve@...> wrote:

          > hi Everyone i hope this is the right place for this kind of help i am
          playing huge D&d campaign and been using pcgen for over a year now i have
          recently have a need to start building custom temp bonuses i saw a old
          ver5.14 that had Inventory Temporary Bonus Sub-Tab is this feature still
          in 6.00.01 or is there anyway to build a bonus with zero programming
          knowledge

          > thanks for any help

        • Eric C Smith
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 20, 2013
            Hi Steve,

            It sounds to me like these are Special Abilities. Can you tell me if these are homebrew rules or do they come from a specific source? I've done a quick search through our sets and cannot find an "Abomination Rage" ability so it will need to be coded from scratch. The good news, this isn't that hard, but it will require that you create a homebrew data set that you can load along with the 3e sets you are using.

            Before I go into how this s done have you had a chance to look at the docs? We have a section called the LST File Classes (Docs:List Files:LST File Class) where we provide some instruction on how to code up LST files, which are used to build our data sets. The first class listed on the front page of the section (in that section (not on the index) is incomplete but does have some good info on the different LST Files and further links back to the relevant LST File Classes.

            PCGen Documentation:
            http://pcgen.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html

            Tools for Building Data Sets:
            http://wiki.pcgen.org/Data_Team_Tools

            Which has a link to a list of Text Editors that many of our Data Monkeys have used in the past:
            http://wiki.pcgen.org/Text_Editors

            Andrew M (Our Admin Silverback and Data 2nd) has also put together a series of Video Lessons which you might find useful:
            http://wiki.pcgen.org/Video_Lessons

            I'll give you a chance to look through the links above while I put a few thoughts together. If any of this incites any questions on your part feel fre to post them.

            Maredudd

          • Steve Gay
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 20, 2013
              This will most defiantly be homebrewed i have looked at the LST in both the
              srd folder and the homebrew folder trying to understand the code I am
              looking at

              [image: cid:image003.png@01CE4B0F.0F634640]
              ------------------------------

              Special Child Online support <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SpecialChild/> *

              It sounds to me like these are Special Abilities. Can you tell me if these
              are homebrew rules or do they come from a specific source? I've done a
              quick search through our sets and cannot find an "Abomination Rage" ability
              so it will need to be coded from scratch. The good news, this isn't that
              hard, but it will require that you create a homebrew data set that you can
              load along with the 3e sets you are using.

              Before I go into how this s done have you had a chance to look at the docs?
              We have a section called the LST File Classes (Docs:List Files:LST File
              Class) where we provide some instruction on how to code up LST files, which
              are used to build our data sets. The first class listed on the front page
              of the section (in that section (not on the index) is incomplete but does
              have some good info on the different LST Files and further links back to
              the relevant LST File Classes.

              PCGen Documentation:
              http://pcgen.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html

              Tools for Building Data Sets:
              http://wiki.pcgen.org/Data_Team_Tools

              Which has a link to a list of Text Editors that many of our Data Monkeys
              have used in the past:
              http://wiki.pcgen.org/Text_Editors

              Andrew M (Our Admin Silverback and Data 2nd) has also put together a series
              of Video Lessons which you might find useful:
              http://wiki.pcgen.org/Video_Lessons

              I'll give you a chance to look through the links above while I put a few
              thoughts together. If any of this incites any questions on your part feel
              fre to post them.

              Maredudd

              On Oct 20, 2013, at 8:08 PM, Steve Gay wrote:

              > We are playing the srd3.0 mods and the temp bonuses I would like to make
              > is called
              >
              > Abomination Rage
              >
              > Attack bonus "bite 1d6" + "1d4 poison" +str mod
              > Flexible Torso +1 Reflex saves
              >
              > Special Attacks
              > Tale 1d6+ str mod Constrict
              > Arms Bite 1d6 + 1d4
              > +4 ac "Natural armor
              > Movement 30ft
              >
              > I might have been blessed by a Fey most recently and with and goddess Luna
              > has granted me these special powers

              On Behalf Of Eric C Smith
              > Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2013 4:57 PM
              > To: PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] help making custom temp bonus d&d
              >
              > Hi Steve,
              >
              > In 6.0 the Temp Bonuses tab is no longer under Inventory, It has a tab all
              > of their own called a Temporary Bonuses. In order to have bonuses show up
              > there they must be included within an Ability (ie class, trait, feat,
              > etc.), Template, Spell, or piece of equipped equipment.
              >
              > Many temp bonuses are already available through the Temp Bonus tab but if
              > you are looking to add custom temp bonuses that is fairly simple to do and
              > does really require you to do any real programming.
              >
              > First question I have have is what gamemode and sources are you using?
              >
              > Next, can you give us an example of a temp bonus you wish to implement?
              >
              > Have you tried to create a homebrew data set yet?
              >
              > Finally, have you looked through the PCGen documentation? There is a lot
              > of info there and though you will get lots of help here, it is a good idea
              > to look through the docs as you build your data set as that will,
              > hopefully, help you understand how things are set up.
              >
              > Maredudd
              >
              > On Oct 20, 2013, at 3:11 PM, <steve@...>
              > <steve@...> wrote:
              >
              > > hi Everyone i hope this is the right place for this kind of help i am
              > playing huge D&d campaign and been using pcgen for over a year now i have
              > recently have a need to start building custom temp bonuses i saw a old
              > ver5.14 that had Inventory Temporary Bonus Sub-Tab is this feature still
              > in 6.00.01 or is there anyway to build a bonus with zero programming
              > knowledge

            • Eric C Smith
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 20, 2013
                Ok. If I understand this correctly, you have an ability as follows:

                Abomination Rage thats adds a bite (w/poison) and tail natural attacks as well as bonus natural armor and Reflex save.

                Based on what you've said so far I will assume this ability is unique to your character. What is your current character?

                So far I'm seeing a minimum of 3 lst files, though there may be more.

                homebrew.pcc
                homebrew_template.lst
                homebrew_ability.lst

                There may be others . . .

                Maredudd

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 20, 2013

                  Ability File

                  Abomination Rage
                      CATEGORY:Special Ability
                      TYPE:SpecialAttack
                      DESC:Grants a bite attack for 1d6, + 1d4 poison. You have a flexible Torso which grants a +1 to Reflex saves. Along with +4 Natural Armor. +30 Movement.
                      TEMPBONUS:PC|MOVEADD|TYPE.Walk|30
                      TEMPBONUS:PC|COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=NaturalArmor
                      TEMPBONUS:PC|VAR|RageAttackActive|1
                      DEFINE:RageAttackActive|0
                      ABILITY:Internal|AUTOMATIC|Abomination Rage Attacks|PREVAREQ:RageAttackActive,1

                  Abomination Rage Attacks
                      CATEGORY:Internal
                      NATURALATTACKS:Bite,Natural.Weapon.Melee.Piercing,*1,1d6
                      NATURALATTACKS:Tail,Natural.Weapon.Melee.Bludgeoning,*1,1d6

                  How you want to apply these is up to you, easiest would be a template:

                  Abomination Rage
                      ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Abomination Rage

                  And there you'd have it, and then you could activate it through the temporary bonus tab.

                  Definitely read what Eric said about the docs.

                  Note: Natural Weapons don't support adding notes about constriction or poison yet. I have an alternative method to do so, but it's not directly supported by the code base, and thus if you wanted to use Weapon Focus, or such, you'd have to code it up for each case.

                  Hope that helps.

                  Cheers,

                  Andrew

                  • Steve Gay

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 20, 2013
                        Hi Steve,

                        Everything I posted was for my_abilities.lst with the exception of the "template". Since I have no idea how the barbarian is gaining this, a template is a good easy fallback. Fey granted, would be template worthy. If it's from a class progression, then the connection would be made from the class.

                        Do realize that this format

                        Name
                            CATEGORY:nnn
                            TYPE:xxx
                            More stuff...

                        Is all on one single line with tabs between them. I do the above for easy reading.

                        Cheers,

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            PCGenListFileHelp-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            PCGenListFileHelp-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      • Steve Gay
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 21, 2013
                          Thanks for the help is there a utility for creating the lst file as I am
                          totally confused even reading the documentation I don�t understand coding
                          any way share or form except for cut here paste here so for my ignorance in
                          advance

                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SC-Classifieds/>

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 21, 2013

                            The LST Editors aren't enabled right now as they are undergoing some serious upgrades. But you have some experienced monkeys that hang around here ready to answer your coding questions.

                            How Do I Start?
                            - I have several Homebrew How-To Videos I put together, where I do my best to explain the process in simple terms and demonstrate by doing. pcgen.org is our website and has a link to the videos available. I might do more, but time and kids have made it very difficult to have the quiet time necessary to do such videos.
                            - Documentation - We have several "Classes" where we have the documents step you through a process.
                            - Hands on - In PCGen we actually supply you with beginner sets - one is found in your pcgen/data/35e and the other is found pcgen/data/pathfinder - both are named homebrew. Inside are LST files that are there for you to learn to edit.  I recommend a text editor - I list several offerings over on the pcgen wiki page - wiki.pcgen.org - look under 'content' > 'data'
                            > and then
                            I think Tools.

                            The best teacher is through seeing then doing. You can explore the data folder in your program and begin to see how things are put together.

                            The first object is always the NAME

                            Foo <would be the name
                                TYPE:ThisIsMyType.Oh Yeah < Assigns the TYPEs of 'ThisIsMyType' and 'Oh Yeah'

                            This could be the start of a Template, a Language, an Ability or Feat, even a piece of equipment.

                            Some files require more, example a Class will use:

                            CLASS:Fighter

                            a kit would use

                            STARTPACK:New Kit

                            an ability category uses

                            ABILITYCATEGORY:My Category

                            The rest usually are just the name of the object

                            Longsword
                            English
                            Weapon Focus
                            Focus of Enlightment

                            and then you use the support tags to expand the objects features

                            Weapon Focus
                                TYPE:General.Fighter
                                DESC:Grants a +1 to Hit with the selected weapon
                                BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%LIST|TOHIT||1|TYPE=Weapon Focus
                                 MULT:YES
                                CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|PC[ALL]
                                STACK:NO
                                SELECT:1
                                BENEFIT:Through Practice you've mastered the art of striking people down, gain a +1 to hit when using your chosen weapons.

                            The type of file will determine what objects go where.
                            my_abilities.lst

                            Is an Ability file - our standard is book abbreviation_fileType_group.lst

                            You can open up the files, take a look and add more content.

                            the most important file you have is the pcGEN cAMPAIGN file - pcc. This is where you declare the name of the set, what system(s) it can be used in, and what files to load.

                            If you want I can also help you along in real time using IM. Anyways, please check out the resources and then ask about anything you need help understanding.

                            -Andrew

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 22, 2013
                              Ok I got that done and it is working

                              What tags do I use to get the plus 1 to reflux

                              How would I code the special attacks

                              [image: cid:image003.png@01CE4B0F.0F634640]
                              ------------------------------

                              LOVE � HOPE � SUPPORT

                              *Steve Gay* *Director*, Special Child Ministries
                              Tel: (425) 954-7510| Mobile: 425-622-0114
                              www.specialchildmin.org

                              *Special Child Classifieds Powered by Facebook
                              *https://www.facebook.com/groups/specialchildministries/

                              *From:* PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com [mailto:

                              PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com] *On Behalf Of *Andrew

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 22, 2013
                                Sent from my iPad

                                > On Oct 22, 2013, at 5:49 AM, Steve Gay <steve@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > Ok I got that done and it is working
                                >

                                > What tags do I use to get the plus 1 to reflux

                                TEMPBONUS:CHECKS|Reflex|1

                                Add this where the other TEMPBONUS tags are.

                                > How would I code the special attacks

                                NATURALATTACKS is the tag you want. The syntax is in the docs under Global Other.

                                Maredudd
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 22, 2013

                                  On 10/22/2013 3:47 AM, Maredudd wrote:
                                  Sent from my iPad

                                  On Oct 22, 2013, at 5:49 AM, Steve Gay <steve@...> wrote:

                                  Ok I got that done and it is working

                                  What tags do I use to get the plus 1 to reflux

                                  TEMPBONUS:CHECKS|Reflex|1

                                  Add this where the other TEMPBONUS tags are.

                                  TEMPBONUS:PC|CHECKS|Reflex|1

                                  Almost, missed the PC or ANYPC portion there...

                                  How would I code the special attacks

                                  NATURALATTACKS is the tag you want. The syntax is in the docs under Global Other.

                                  Earlier I actually addressed this... ;)  Here is what I posted:

                                  Ability File

                                  Abomination Rage
                                      CATEGORY:Special Ability
                                      TYPE:SpecialAttack
                                      DESC:Grants a bite attack for 1d6, + 1d4 poison. You have a flexible Torso which grants a +1 to Reflex saves. Along with +4 Natural Armor. +30 Movement.
                                      TEMPBONUS:PC|MOVEADD|TYPE.Walk|30
                                      TEMPBONUS:PC|COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=NaturalArmor
                                      TEMPBONUS:PC|VAR|RageAttackActive|1
                                      DEFINE:RageAttackActive|0
                                      ABILITY:Internal|AUTOMATIC|AbominationRage Attacks|PREVAREQ:RageAttackActive,1

                                  AbominationRage Attacks
                                      CATEGORY:Internal
                                      NATURALATTACKS:Bite,Natural.Weapon.Melee.Piercing,*1,1d6
                                      NATURALATTACKS:Tail,Natural.Weapon.Melee.Bludgeoning,*1,1d6

                                  So, you add the Abomination Rage Attacks and you'll get those natural attacks. On top of the Reflex save code.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Maredudd