How to make an item that adds a spell-slot of any class or level?

  • nerik01
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5 3:06 PM
      Can someone please tell me how do you go about making an equipment item that can add a single spell slot of the highest level the wearer can cast, regardless of the wearer's type of magic?
      For example, a ring that when worn grants a single spell slot, a 5th level wizard would get a single 3rd level wizard spell slot for instance.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5 3:48 PM
        Well, there is nothing that makes this easy to do today, but if you want to kludge something together:

        # Equip File
        Ring of the Magical Might
        TYPE:Ring
        ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Ring of the Magical Might

        # Ability File
        Ring of the Magical Might
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        BONUS:SPELLCAST|CLASS=Wizard;LEVEL=1|1|PRECLASS:1,Wizard=1|!PRECLASS:1,Wizard=3
        BONUS:SPELLCAST|CLASS=Wizard;LEVEL=2|1|PRECLASS:1,Wizard=3|!PRECLASS:1,Wizard=5
        BONUS:SPELLCAST|CLASS=Wizard;LEVEL=3|1|PRECLASS:1,Wizard=5|!PRECLASS:1,Wizard=7
        BONUS:SPELLCAST|CLASS=Wizard;LEVEL=4|1|PRECLASS:1,Wizard=7|!PRECLASS:1,Wizard=9
        BONUS:SPELLCAST|CLASS=Wizard;LEVEL=5|1|PRECLASS:1,Wizard=9|!PRECLASS:1,Wizard=11
        BONUS:SPELLCAST|CLASS=Wizard;LEVEL=6|1|PRECLASS:1,Wizard=11|!PRECLASS:1,Wizard=13
        BONUS:SPELLCAST|CLASS=Wizard;LEVEL=7|1|PRECLASS:1,Wizard=13|!PRECLASS:1,Wizard=15
        BONUS:SPELLCAST|CLASS=Wizard;LEVEL=8|1|PRECLASS:1,Wizard=15|!PRECLASS:1,Wizard=17
        BONUS:SPELLCAST|CLASS=Wizard;LEVEL=9|1|PRECLASS:1,Wizard=17

        Yes, this means that the cast slot will change to match the highest level as you progress.

        For each class you want to support, repeat the process.

        NOTE: This will not account for Prestige Classes granting higher level casting. That would require a
        lot more work.

        Cheers,

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6 9:28 AM

          Thanks, I'll give that a try.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7 5:34 AM

            Ok, this works (as far as I have tested it so far), thanks!

            I made one change, I replaced the BONUS: statements with:

            BONUS:SPELLCAST|TYPE=Arcane;LEVEL=1|1|PRESPELLTYPE:1,Arcane=1|!PRESPELLTYPE:1,Arcane=2

            and duplicate ones with TYPE=Divine, this simplified things a bit.