Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] This works but ... (conditional modifiers)

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2013

      Try this (If it doesn't work, I'll blame my sleep addled mind):

      #Ability
      Inspire Courage ~ Temp
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      DEFINE:FearSaveBonus|0
      DEFINE:CharmSaveBonus|0
      ASPECT:SaveBonus|+%1 save vs fear|FearSaveBonus
      ASPECT:SaveBonus|+%1 save vs Charm|CharmSaveBonus

      I like the Ability Objects, but since you like Templates, we'll use templates:

      #Template
      Inspire Courage
      BONUS:VAR|BardicInspireCourageTemp|1|PREAPPLY:ANYPC
      DEFINE:BardicInspireCourageTemp|0
      ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Inspire Courage ~ Temp|PREVAREQ:BardicInspireCourageTemp,1
      BONUS:VAR|FearSaveBonus,CharmSaveBonus|%CHOICE|TYPE=Morale|PREAPPLY:ANYPC
      BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT|%CHOICE|TYPE=Competence|PREAPPLY:ANYPC
      BONUS:COMBAT|DAMAGE.Melee,DAMAGE.Ranged,DAMAGE.Unarmed|%CHOICE|TYPE=Competence|PREAPPLY:ANYPC
      CHOOSE:NUMBER|MIN=1|MAX=5|TITLE=Inspiration Amount
      TEMPDESC:You are inspired by a bardic performance

      I think I'm going to go back to bed. Let me know how it works out.

      Cheers,

    • virtualjack@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2013
        Blame the Brain.

        It didn't work until I added a piece of equipment which referenced the "Inspire Courage ~ Temp", then it worked again. In other words, back to square one (although I like some of the syntax you have better).

        Also, could

        "BONUS:VAR|BardicInspireCourageTemp|1|PREAPPLY:ANYPC DEFINE:BardicInspireCourageTemp|1 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Inspire Courage ~ Temp|PREVAREQ:BardicInspireCourageTemp,1 "

        just be written as

        "ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Inspire Courage ~ Temp"

        It is unclear to me what the benefit of the extra work.

        Do you have a good example of an ability object? I'm not very familiar with them but if it makes it easier to solve this problem, then I'm all for it.

        ---Jack

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 2013
          Send me your file at

          help
          @
          pcgen
          .
          org

          help AT pcgen DOT org

          There is a reason for why I did what I did, but let's get the thing working and see if you can
          reason out why it does what it does.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2013
            Sleep Deprived or Sleep Addled... this is what I forgot:

            # All of this is abilities
            CATEGORY=Internal|Default.MOD DEFINE:BardicInspireCourageTemp|0

            The rest is unchanged, except for the fact I put this all in abilities and changed two lines:

            Inspire Courage ~ Temp
            CATEGORY:Special Ability
            DEFINE:FearSaveBonus|0
            DEFINE:CharmSaveBonus|0
            ASPECT:SaveBonus|+%1 save vs fear|FearSaveBonus
            ASPECT:SaveBonus|+%1 save vs Charm|CharmSaveBonus

            Inspire Courage CATEGORY:Internal

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2013
              Okay, I'm really awake this time...

              ABILITY:
              CATEGORY=Internal|Default.MOD DEFINE:BardicInspireCourageTemp|0 ABILITY:Special

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 7, 2013
                Just to confirm, this really works (and is really slick).

                Now, onto making two temporary conditionals reuse some of the same parameters so that they appropriately stack ...

                I'll POST/REPLY when I have something suitably interesting

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 2013
                  As a final thought, here is how you can combine the elements so that you can start to chain temporary conditions such as the flag bearer feat with bardic inspiration

                  In the abilitiies file
                  ---
                  CATEGORY=Internal|Default.MOD DEFINE:FearSavesTemp|0 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Fear Saves ~ Temp|PREVAREQ:FearSavesTemp,1

                  CATEGORY=Internal|Default.MOD DEFINE:CharmSavesTemp|0 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Charm Saves ~ Temp|PREVAREQ:CharmSavesTemp,1

                  Fear Saves ~ Temp CATEGORY:Special Ability DEFINE:FearSaveBonus|0 ASPECT:SaveBonus|+%1 save vs fear|FearSaveBonus

                  Charm Saves ~ Temp CATEGORY:Special Ability DEFINE:CharmSaveBonus|0 ASPECT:SaveBonus|+%1 save vs charms|CharmSaveBonus

                  And then in the templates file
                  ---
                  Inspire Courage CATEGORY:Internal TEMPBONUS:VAR|FearSavesTemp|1 TEMPBONUS:VAR|CharmSavesTemp|1 DEFINE:FearSavesTemp|0 DEFINE:CharmSavesTemp|0 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Fear Saves ~ Temp|PREVAREQ:FearSavesTemp,1 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Charm Saves ~ Temp|PREVAREQ:CharmSavesTemp,1 BONUS:VAR|FearSaveBonus,CharmSaveBonus|%CHOICE|TYPE=Morale|PREAPPLY:ANYPC BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT|%CHOICE|TYPE=Competence|PREAPPLY:ANYPC BONUS:COMBAT|DAMAGE.Melee,DAMAGE.Ranged,DAMAGE.Unarmed|%CHOICE|TYPE=Competence|PREAPPLY:ANYPC CHOOSE:NUMBER|MIN=1|MAX=4|TITLE=Bardic Inspiration Amount TEMPDESC:You are inspired by a bardic performance

                  See the Flag CATEGORY:Internal BONUS:VAR|FearSavesTemp|1|PREAPPLY:ANYPC BONUS:VAR|CharmSavesTemp|1|PREAPPLY:ANYPC DEFINE:FearSavesTemp|0 DEFINE:CharmSavesTemp|0 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Fear Saves ~ Temp|PREVAREQ:FearSavesTemp,1 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Charm Saves ~ Temp|PREVAREQ:CharmSavesTemp,1 BONUS:VAR|FearSaveBonus,CharmSaveBonus|+1|TYPE=Morale|PREAPPLY:ANYPC BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT|+1|TYPE=Morale|PREAPPLY:ANYPC BONUS:COMBAT|DAMAGE.Melee,DAMAGE.Ranged,DAMAGE.Unarmed|+1|TYPE=Morale|PREAPPLY:ANYPC TEMPDESC:You are inspired by a party banner

                  ---
                  This allows me to combine the temporary bonuses. The morale bonus for saves doesn't stack, but the competence & morale bonuses for attack/damage do.

                  All in all, this makes me pretty happy.