Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Using wildcards and multiple conditions within PREFEAT

  • Maredudd
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
      Hi Lifer,

      Just to be clear, as I'm not certain you mean what I think you are saying, .MODing a LST object, in this instance, would be done in your own file and would NOT require any changes to the original file.

      Yes, you would need to .MOD every feat you wanted to include in your choices, but then you only have to .MOD those you want to include. In you example, there really aren't that many "Shot" type feats, and though new ones can pop up in new sources ( Halflings of Golarion had a couple that applied to slings), short of rewriting all feats across the board to include such mods for every new source that comes out so that they have a unique type identifier for any aspect that any future source might focus on, is prohibitive. In a nutshell that's not going to happen.

      The good news is that once you .MOD a feat from a source, in your files the work for that source is done. New sources can be covered when they come out.

      The other good news is that .MODing a feat is real simple. As an example:

      Many Shot.MOD <tab> TYPE:MyShotType

      You're done with Many Shot. You can now use the type "MyShotType" in your PREFEAT tag in your "Innoculated" feat. The PREFEAT, in your example, would look like this:

      PREFEAT:2,TYPE=MyShotType

      Hope this helps.

      Maredudd

    • lifer4700
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
        Yes, I am aware that using MOD does not modify the original LST files, but that's the manual kind of work that I was hoping to avoid.

        The feat list I showed is only an example - there are actually many more feats in existence. (for an example, there are roughly 1,000 feats in Pathfinder)

        I'm guessing by the replies I've received is that the software is incapable of performing a search similar to what I'm looking for.

        I was hoping to avoid having to manually update and revise my contribution every time a new feat* came out in somebody else's contribution.

        * - one that would satisfy my requirements, of course.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
          I prefer the TYPE method. You can use a name wildcard, but if your feat is only supposed to work
          with 'Blah Shot' what happens if someone codes up a feat called 'Buckshot' or 'Sniper's Lucky Shot'
          and neither one is supposed to qualify? Or a later rule comes along and says, this feat will also
          qualify... well that TYPE is a lot easier to handle then trying to get SERVESAS to work.

          If you code it up with a TYPE - only TYPE x and y, then it becomes up to those who follow to code to
          incorporate the proper type. Not saying it happens all the time.

          Cheers,