Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Using wildcards and multiple conditions within PREFEAT

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2013

      On 7/23/2013 7:08 PM, lifer4700 wrote:
      > I'm trying to restrict a feat to be availably only if the character has taken at least two feats with a similar name, but only if they're from either of two specific feat types.
      >
      > Generalized example:
      >
      > Let's say I have, amongst others, two feat Types, "Foo", and "Bar".
      > Let's also say that there are also many feats that happen end with the word "Cat" and they are spread across those two Types, as well as other Types that I don't care about.
      >
      > I've been trying all kinds of permutations of PREFEAT(some shown below), but none of them do what I want.
      >
      > PREFEAT:1,TYPE=Foo,%Cat PREFEAT:1,TYPE=Bar,%Cat
      > PREFEAT:2,(TYPE:Foo,TYPE:Bar),%Cat
      > PREFEAT:2,(TYPE:Foo,%Cat),(TYPE:Bar,%Cat)
      >

      > Am I even close?

      My brain is hurting trying to fathom what you're asking for (Though lack of sleep might be
      contributing to this). And just for the record, your syntax is way off on the last two permutations
      - error messages galore. TYPE: is incorrect, and we don't use Parenthesis in that manner.

      Example:

      PREFEAT:1,Weapon Focus (Longsword)
      PREFEAT:1,TYPE=WeaponFocus
      PREFEAT:2,Longsword,TYPE=Foo,WildMan%

      Okay, let's tackle it this way. You're similar named feats should have TYPEs, I would hope. TYPEs
      are your friends, making these things easy. You can always add new types onto objects.
      HIDETYPE:FEAT|FooGroup in your pcc will keep them from cluttering your display.

      With this in mind, say you give all these similar feats a single type association to work with,
      'FooGroup' and you need 2 in FooGroup to qualify.

      PREFEAT:2,TYPE=FooGroup

      If you want to pull out WildCards

      PREFEAT:2,WildCard%

      Any Feat with WildCard as part of the name will qualify, which if you're not careful means something
      unrelated could "qualify".

      If you want a grouped select style you can use PREMULT

      PREMULT:1,[PREFEAT:2,TYPE=FooGroup,TYPE=OtherGroup],[PREFEAT:2,WildCard%]

      If you want to branch out into the advanced realm of coding, I'd suggest if you have several cases
      where these feat trees happen to be you use vars.

      Feat 1 TYPE:Foo DEFINE:FeatTreeFoo|0 BONUS:VAR|FeatTreeFoo|1
      Feat 2 TYPE:Bar DEFINE:FeatTreeFoo|0 BONUS:VAR|FeatTreeFoo|1

      Feat 3 which needs 2 of the FeatTreeFoo feats to be qualified would then use "PREVARGTEQ:FeatTreeFoo,2"

    • lifer4700
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 23, 2013
        Ok, I'll admit my first example was a bit vague, and due to repeated edits without proofreading, poorly worded as well.

        Let's start over, shall we?

        Ok, I'm working on a custom dataset to an existing game.

        There are already a bunch of feats defined that I can't (don't want to) touch the LST files for - since they don't belong to me.

        Here's a completely hypothetical list of the existing feats.

        Mystical Shot TYPE:Arcane
        Rapid Shot TYPE:Combat
        Far Shot TYPE:Combat
        Jaeger Shot TYPE:Social
        Jello Shot TYPE:Social
        Bourbon Shot TYPE:Social
        Paired Shot TYPE:Teamwork
        Improved Paired Shot TYPE:Teamwork
        Rabies Shot TYPE:Healing
        Flu Shot TYPE:Healing

        I want to add a feat called "Innoculated" that the character can take ONLY if they have already taken at least two "Shot" feats - as long as they are of the "Healing" or "Social" feat Types. The existing feats are not tagged with any special TYPE to help me differentiate them as "Shot" feats, just the names. (and yes, that's good enough for my purposes.

        Does that help clarify what I'm looking to do?

        > On 7/23/2013 7:08 PM, lifer4700 wrote:
        > > I'm trying to restrict a feat to be availably only if the character has taken at least two feats with a similar name, but only if they're from either of two specific feat types.
        > >
        > > Generalized example:
        > >
        > > Let's say I have, amongst others, two feat Types, "Foo", and "Bar".
        > > Let's also say that there are also many feats that happen end with the word "Cat" and they are spread across those two Types, as well as other Types that I don't care about.
        > >
        > > I've been trying all kinds of permutations of PREFEAT(some shown below), but none of them do what I want.
        > >
        > > PREFEAT:1,TYPE=Foo,%Cat PREFEAT:1,TYPE=Bar,%Cat
        > > PREFEAT:2,(TYPE:Foo,TYPE:Bar),%Cat
        > > PREFEAT:2,(TYPE:Foo,%Cat),(TYPE:Bar,%Cat)
        > >

        > > Am I even close?
        > > Can anyone point me in the right direction?
        >
        > My brain is hurting trying to fathom what you're asking for (Though lack of sleep might be
        > contributing to this). And just for the record, your syntax is way off on the last two permutations
        > - error messages galore. TYPE: is incorrect, and we don't use Parenthesis in that manner.
        >
        > Example:
        >
        > PREFEAT:1,Weapon Focus (Longsword)
        > PREFEAT:1,TYPE=WeaponFocus
        > PREFEAT:2,Longsword,TYPE=Foo,WildMan%
        >
        > Okay, let's tackle it this way. You're similar named feats should have TYPEs, I would hope. TYPEs
        > are your friends, making these things easy. You can always add new types onto objects.
        > HIDETYPE:FEAT|FooGroup in your pcc will keep them from cluttering your display.
        >
        > With this in mind, say you give all these similar feats a single type association to work with,
        > 'FooGroup' and you need 2 in FooGroup to qualify.
        >
        > PREFEAT:2,TYPE=FooGroup
        >
        > If you want to pull out WildCards
        >
        > PREFEAT:2,WildCard%
        >
        > Any Feat with WildCard as part of the name will qualify, which if you're not careful means something
        > unrelated could "qualify".
        >
        > If you want a grouped select style you can use PREMULT
        >
        > PREMULT:1,[PREFEAT:2,TYPE=FooGroup,TYPE=OtherGroup],[PREFEAT:2,WildCard%]
        >
        > If you want to branch out into the advanced realm of coding, I'd suggest if you have several cases
        > where these feat trees happen to be you use vars.
        >
        > Feat 1 TYPE:Foo DEFINE:FeatTreeFoo|0 BONUS:VAR|FeatTreeFoo|1
        > Feat 2 TYPE:Bar DEFINE:FeatTreeFoo|0 BONUS:VAR|FeatTreeFoo|1
        >
        > Feat 3 which needs 2 of the FeatTreeFoo feats to be qualified would then use "PREVARGTEQ:FeatTreeFoo,2"
        >
        > Cheers,

        > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
        > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

      • Barak
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
          Easiest way (imo) would be to .MOD the existing feats to add a TYPE you can
          reference in your PREFEAT.

          Barak

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
            And that would be what I might do...
            IF
            - there weren't hundreds of existing feats to go through and manually modify
            - there wasn't the very real possibility of other people writing datasets containing their own "Shot" feats.

            I would much rather have the software simply find them for me based on a set of criteria.

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Barak <barako@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > >
            > > > PREFEAT:2,WildCard%
            > > >
            > > > Any Feat with WildCard as part of the name will qualify, which if you're
            > > not careful means something
            > > > unrelated could "qualify".
            > > >
            > > > If you want a grouped select style you can use PREMULT
            > > >
            > > > PREMULT:1,[PREFEAT:2,TYPE=FooGroup,TYPE=OtherGroup],[PREFEAT:2,WildCard%]
            > > >
            > > > If you want to branch out into the advanced realm of coding, I'd suggest
            > > if you have several cases
            > > > where these feat trees happen to be you use vars.
            > > >
            > > > Feat 1 TYPE:Foo DEFINE:FeatTreeFoo|0 BONUS:VAR|FeatTreeFoo|1
            > > > Feat 2 TYPE:Bar DEFINE:FeatTreeFoo|0 BONUS:VAR|FeatTreeFoo|1
            > > >
            > > > Feat 3 which needs 2 of the FeatTreeFoo feats to be qualified would then
            > > use "PREVARGTEQ:FeatTreeFoo,2"
            > > >
            > > > Cheers,

            > > > --
            > > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            > > > Admin Silverback - PCGen Board of Directors

          • Maredudd
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
              Hi Lifer,

              Just to be clear, as I'm not certain you mean what I think you are saying, .MODing a LST object, in this instance, would be done in your own file and would NOT require any changes to the original file.

              Yes, you would need to .MOD every feat you wanted to include in your choices, but then you only have to .MOD those you want to include. In you example, there really aren't that many "Shot" type feats, and though new ones can pop up in new sources ( Halflings of Golarion had a couple that applied to slings), short of rewriting all feats across the board to include such mods for every new source that comes out so that they have a unique type identifier for any aspect that any future source might focus on, is prohibitive. In a nutshell that's not going to happen.

              The good news is that once you .MOD a feat from a source, in your files the work for that source is done. New sources can be covered when they come out.

              The other good news is that .MODing a feat is real simple. As an example:

              Many Shot.MOD <tab> TYPE:MyShotType

              You're done with Many Shot. You can now use the type "MyShotType" in your PREFEAT tag in your "Innoculated" feat. The PREFEAT, in your example, would look like this:

              PREFEAT:2,TYPE=MyShotType

              Hope this helps.

              Maredudd

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
                Yes, I am aware that using MOD does not modify the original LST files, but that's the manual kind of work that I was hoping to avoid.

                The feat list I showed is only an example - there are actually many more feats in existence. (for an example, there are roughly 1,000 feats in Pathfinder)

                I'm guessing by the replies I've received is that the software is incapable of performing a search similar to what I'm looking for.

                I was hoping to avoid having to manually update and revise my contribution every time a new feat* came out in somebody else's contribution.

                * - one that would satisfy my requirements, of course.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
                  I prefer the TYPE method. You can use a name wildcard, but if your feat is only supposed to work
                  with 'Blah Shot' what happens if someone codes up a feat called 'Buckshot' or 'Sniper's Lucky Shot'
                  and neither one is supposed to qualify? Or a later rule comes along and says, this feat will also
                  qualify... well that TYPE is a lot easier to handle then trying to get SERVESAS to work.

                  If you code it up with a TYPE - only TYPE x and y, then it becomes up to those who follow to code to
                  incorporate the proper type. Not saying it happens all the time.

                  Cheers,