Spell Lists and Ability Categories

  • RandomClass
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
      Hi All,

      I'm getting there with the Reign of Winter Players Guide, but need some
      more hints and help required for some of the more complex things I
      haven't been able to find examples of or work out how to implement.

      I want to selectively remove and prevent being added to spells known any
      spells that have a certain descriptor keyword or otherwise exclude
      spells with a specific descriptor (in this case fire - winter witches
      cannot learn or cast spells with a fire descriptor).

      And on the subject of spell descriptors, is there a way to add bonuses
      to spells with a specific descriptor (in this case spells with the cold
      descriptor - the winter witch archetype increases the save DC of cold
      spells by +1)?

      Also, how to limit what entries are available in an Ability Category?
      (Example: Winter Witch Archetype limits what Patrons the witch can have
      to a small subset of the existing patrons).

      Rod the newb.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
        Yes,

        PROHIBITSPELL in the Witch Class - use a PRExxx on it to toggle
        BONUS:DC for the Spells with the proper descriptor
        the limiting requires a bit more advanced tech, and I'm off to deal with a 9-1-1. So it'll be awhile.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
          So, you need to disable the ability pool that lets' you select the patron, and replace it with your
          smaller list.

          I swear, people need to stop calling 9-1-1... Hopefully that gives you enough to work with,
          otherwise, speak up and I'll toss an example.

          Cheers,

          On 6/17/2013 9:54 AM, Andrew wrote:
          > Yes,
          >
          > PROHIBITSPELL in the Witch Class - use a PRExxx on it to toggle
          > BONUS:DC for the Spells with the proper descriptor
          > the limiting requires a bit more advanced tech, and I'm off to deal with a 9-1-1. So it'll be awhile.
          >
          > On 6/17/2013 8:31 AM, RandomClass wrote:
          >> Hi All,
          >>
          >> I'm getting there with the Reign of Winter Players Guide, but need some
          >> more hints and help required for some of the more complex things I
          >> haven't been able to find examples of or work out how to implement.
          >>
          >> I want to selectively remove and prevent being added to spells known any
          >> spells that have a certain descriptor keyword or otherwise exclude
          >> spells with a specific descriptor (in this case fire - winter witches
          >> cannot learn or cast spells with a fire descriptor).
          >>
          >> And on the subject of spell descriptors, is there a way to add bonuses
          >> to spells with a specific descriptor (in this case spells with the cold
          >> descriptor - the winter witch archetype increases the save DC of cold
          >> spells by +1)?
          >>
          >> Also, how to limit what entries are available in an Ability Category?
          >> (Example: Winter Witch Archetype limits what Patrons the witch can have
          >> to a small subset of the existing patrons).
          >>
          >> Rod the newb.

        • RandomClass
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
            OK, the BONUS:DC stuff worked perfectly first time (it's easy once you
            know what you are looking for...)

            The PROHIBITSPELL is giving me some grief. If I'm understanding you
            correctly, I can MOD the Witch class, with PROHIBITSPELL, so I create a
            class file and do this:
            CLASS:Witch.MOD
            1 PROHIBITSPELL:DESCRIPTOR.Fire|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Archetype,Witch
            Archetype ~ Winter Witch

            Which should result in the winter witch archetype not having spells with
            the descriptor Fire?

            (The archetype is declared in a different file with this:
            # Ability Name Unique Key Category of Ability
            Winter Witch KEY:Witch Archetype ~ Winter Witch CATEGORY:Archetype
            [rest of archetype here]...
            I've also tried with a special ability that is created in the same file:
            Cold Flesh KEY:Cold Flesh ~ Winter Witch CATEGORY:Special Ability
            Which should be?:
            1 PROHIBITSPELL:DESCRIPTOR.Fire|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
            Ability,Cold Flesh ~ Winter Witch
            AFAIK}

            But when I tried loading the dataset, I get this in the logs:
            ==========================
            22:35:48.841 SEVERE Thread-15 LstObjectFileLoader:465 Error parsing file
            file:/C:/Users/Rod/pcgen60103/data/d20ogl/paizo/pathfinder_adventure_path/reign_of_winter/reign_of_winter_players_guide/rowpg_class.lst
            line 19: null
            java.lang.NullPointerException
            at
            pcgen.persistence.lst.PCClassLoader.parseFullClassLevelLine(PCClassLoader.java:272)
            at
            pcgen.persistence.lst.PCClassLoader.parseClassLine(PCClassLoader.java:219)
            at
            pcgen.persistence.lst.PCClassLoader.parseLine(PCClassLoader.java:169)
            at pcgen.persistence.lst.PCClassLoader.parseLine(PCClassLoader.java:48)
            at
            pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.loadLstFile(LstObjectFileLoader.java:447)
            at
            pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.loadLstFiles(LstObjectFileLoader.java:117)
            at
            pcgen.persistence.SourceFileLoader.loadCampaigns(SourceFileLoader.java:597)
            at
            pcgen.persistence.SourceFileLoader.loadCampaigns(SourceFileLoader.java:479)
            at
            pcgen.persistence.SourceFileLoader.execute(SourceFileLoader.java:214)
            at
            pcgen.gui2.PCGenStatusBar$TaskExecutor.construct(PCGenStatusBar.java:167)
            at
            pcgen.gui2.PCGenStatusBar$TaskExecutor.construct(PCGenStatusBar.java:130)
            at pcgen.gui2.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:146)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

            22:35:48.841 SEVERE Thread-15 LstObjectFileLoader:467
            Errors.LstFileLoader.Ignoring: null not defined.
            =====================

            That is repeated with a few different line numbers, but always the same
            file (which is where my CLASS:Witch.MOD is). And, unsurprisingly, the
            PROHIBITSPELL isn't applied (although everything else in the winter
            witch archetype works).

            Now I've either discovered a bug, or missed something somewhere (I'm
            betting on that latter, myself).

            Uh, (more) help!

            Rod the newb

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
              send the set zipped to help@... please.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 18, 2013
                Ok, my bad. Put this one down to user error.

                I've just found that last night I was editing entirely the wrong file. I
                seem to have ended up with two files with the same name (possibly due to
                the syncing software I have to keep the files in sync between different
                computers), and the one with the Witch.MOD wasn't the one being loaded
                by PCGen.

                Now I know I'm loading the right file, and it's working fine, so I don't
                need to bother you now.

                Rod