We need Monkeys! (Coders, Data, and more)

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2013
      Hi Folks,

      We really could use Monkey Power around here. Without Volunteers, things do slow down. If you've got
      any free time and some talent to share, let us know.

      PCGen is using both SVN and GIT. We've gotten set up on GITHUB.

      The teams we could use more volunteers are:

      CODE - Could use JAVA Developers of any experience level.
      Requirements: A Willingness to learn, patience.
      Must have an internet connection, willing to use SVN or GIT to access the PCGen code base repository
      What do they do? Code Monkeys work on the main backbone of PCGen, the actual program that takes the
      PCC and LST files and makes them work. They work in collaboration with the Data Team to coordinate
      TAGs to be used, and OS teamfor OUTPUT tags.
      A Code Monkey will write new TAGs, Unit Tests, and may clean up the code (re-factor). They handle
      Code Bugs and Code Feature Requests, along with implementing NEWTAG requests.
      Team managed by: Code Silverback and Code 2nd

      ARCH - Could use JAVA developers of Moderate experience level
      Requirements: PCGen Code Base Knowledge, 6+ Months working with PCGen, SVN or GIT experience,Ability
      to write unit tests
      What do they do? Arch Monkeys are the progressive forward thinking developers that make suggestions
      and implement best practices of industry standards for future growth and implementation of PCGen as
      a viable program. Investing time to research CDOM and new emerging technologies that can benefit the
      program.

      CONTENT - LST Monkeys (Any experience level)
      Requirements: A Willingness to learn, patience.
      Must have an internet connection.
      What do they do? LST Monkeys code up the LST & PCC files that are the books that the program uses.
      They also fix bugs that crop up, manage the existing data migration to new versions, and implement
      Data feature requests.
      Team managed by: Content Silverback, Data 2nd

      CONTENT - Doc Monkeys (Any experience level)
      Requirements: A Willing to learn, patience.
      Must have an internet connection.
      Basic understanding of HTML
      What do they do? Doc Monkeys keep the documentation for PCGen up to date. They take completed NEWTAG
      entries and add them to the documentation.
      Team managed by: Content Silverback, Doc 2nd

      CONTENT - OS (Output Sheet) Monkeys (Any experience level)
      Requirements: Knowledge of XML, XSLT, FO, HTM
      What do they do? OS Monkeys maintain and update the various OS sheets that are output to PDF, HTM or
      TXT.

      ADMIN - Tracker Monkey (Any experience level)
      Requirements: A Willing to learn, patience.
      Must have an internet connection.
      Basic Understanding of the Categorization of JIRA Trackers as established by the PCGen Admin
      What do they do? Tracker Monkeys (TMs) take bug reports from the pcgen yahoo groups and file them in
      the tracker system (JIRA.pcgen.org). They'll also move new entries to the correct category. A TM
      will also follow up with an assigned monkey if a lengthy period has passed to see the status of any
      given tracker.
      Team managed by: Admin Silverback, Tracker 2nd

      ADMIN - Web Monkey Moderator
      Requirements: Must be known to the PCGen Yahoo Group for 6+ months, and be in good standing with the
      Board of Directors. Have a basic understanding of the Posting Rules and when to not allow posts.
      What do they do? Moderator Monkeys monitor the Yahoo Group(s) assigned to them, reviewing submitted
      posts before allowing or disallowing them onto the group (checking for spam). They also remove any
      spam entries that an unmoderated member has allowed onto the group and moderates or removes the
      member. They also monitor uploaded files to the groups.
      Team managed by: Admin Silverback, Web 2nd

      PR - Advertising Monkey
      Requirements: Web Savvy, Patience, active accounts with several third party Forums (En World,
      Wizards.com, etc.)
      What do they do? Advertising Monkeys make the Release announcements on various sites.

      PR - Publisher Liaison
      Requirements: Internet Access, working email account
      What do they do? Publisher Liaisons reach out to Publishers and interface with them. They ask for
      permission to include things, and make sure publishers get materials requested (Free CD).

      PR - License Monkey
      Requirements: Internet Access, Knowledge of the OGL
      What do they do? License Monkeys review finished Data Sets making sure they comply with the license
      and Publisher Permissions.

      Again, we need people who can commit some of their free time to keep this project going full steam
      ahead. Every little bit helps.

      Thank you in advanced!

    • mark schrijver
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 3, 2013
        What exactly would the work be? I have the knowledge (over 12 years worth)
        but my free time is limited

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 3, 2013
          Hi Mark,

          The work is whatever youwish to tackle. This is a volunteer project after all. You can tackle bugs,
          or implement features, or even write complete books, it's whatever you want to do.

          Each team has a different focus, let me know what team you're looking at and I can further guide
          you. If you have JAVA experience, James would love to have you on the Code Team.

          Cheers,

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 3, 2013
            Sure I'll be happy to help oout. Have James contact me whenever he's ready.

            Mark

          • Richard Mead
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 8, 2013
              You have ARCH-Monkeys!?

              I would love to hep with coding - if only I had time and no other projects...
              Still, what should I do to initiate the process? And is there a banana discount?

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 8, 2013
                Greeting Richard,

                First and foremost, any help whether big or small is appreciated.

                To get the ball rolling, which team has your interest?

                (We like people to sign up with Sourceforge and give us your username so we can add you to the
                project as a developer).

                Following that, is up to your interest.

                Cheers,

                On 6/8/2013 11:03 AM, Richard Mead wrote:
> [...]
                >>
                >> PR - Advertising Monkey
                >> Requirements: Web Savvy, Patience, active accounts with several third party Forums (En World,
                >> Wizards.com, etc.)
                >> What do they do? Advertising Monkeys make the Release announcements on various sites.
                >>
                >> PR - Publisher Liaison
                >> Requirements: Internet Access, working email account
                >> What do they do? Publisher Liaisons reach out to Publishers and interface with them. They ask for
                >> permission to include things, and make sure publishers get materials requested (Free CD).
                >>
                >> PR - License Monkey
                >> Requirements: Internet Access, Knowledge of the OGL
                >> What do they do? License Monkeys review finished Data Sets making sure they comply with the license
                >> and Publisher Permissions.
                >>
                >> Again, we need people who can commit some of their free time to keep this project going full steam

                Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing) <br>
                Admin Silverback - PCGen Board of Directors <br>
                Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur <br>
                Unique Title "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey" <br>
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 8, 2013
                  Well, I suspect that would be coding� and at some point I may get thoroughly fed up^H^H^H^H^H interested in output sheets.

                  https://sourceforge.net/users/hedrik

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 11, 2013
                    Andrew, any chance for you to send that doc you mentioned?

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 11, 2013
                      What doc is that? (Looking up in the thread and not seeing where this is mentioned)

                    • jciszek123
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
                        I wouldn't mind helping out somehow as a DOC or LST monkey.

                        I've been poking around at transcribing bits and pieces for my homebrew over the past few years, may as well do something that'll benefit everybody =)

                        -Jackie

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
                          Hi Jackie,

                          Welcome to the team. For Docs and LST we can either get you set up directly into the SF SVN system
                          (We need a username for SF) or you can do GITHUB. The alternative is sending your patches/updates to
                          me until we get you set up and comfortable with the subversion.

                          The next thing is getting you something to do. Since this is a volunteer project, we generally leave
                          it to you to decide what items you want to deal with. We have our official bug and feature tracker
                          system 'jira.pcgen.org' if you want to peruse the outstanding items.

                          Our biggest rule, don't mess with core sets without asking for permission from the Content
                          Silverback or Data 2nd. (That's Barak and myself in this case).

                          So, what would you like to do to start with?

                          -Andrew

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
                            Well, I've at least heard of github, just never had the chance to use it. Guess I'll go figure out how to tap into that.

                            And you also have an email from me with other info.
                            -Jackie

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
                              I got the email and replied. We use SVN for the main development, but the GITHUB does connect in.
                              Henk does a fine job keeping those in sync. So you can use either Subversion or GIT, whichever
                              system you feel comfortable with using.

                              At a beginning level GIT has two steps, SVN has one step for pushing in changes. Though our SVN has
                              the extra set up step of using an SSH connection which means you need to set up a key. I've outlined
                              the set up process on the wiki (wiki.pcgen.org) under the content/data team.