Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Loading old sources

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 24, 2013
      Hi Alan,

      I've put together a FAQ to address how to bring those sets up to the newer standards. We also have
      one person who has sort of documented how that process went (I'll see if I can track him down).

      But the short answer is - YES.

      Long Answer - It will take some workbut it can be done. And myself and other folk here are willing
      to help you do it. :)

      On 4/24/2013 12:13 PM, Alan wrote:
      > Hello I have sources that were purchased back when you were able to buy sourcebooks for use with pcgen. I want to know if there is a way to load these sources for use in the latest version of the software. I really want to be able to use my sourcebooks with the latest versionof PCGen. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    • Al
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 24, 2013
        Any help is greatly appreciated, because when it comes to this stuff I am clueless. I have the zip files with the data sets and would be willing to upload them to dropbox or something to expedite the migration. Using just the SRD is very limiting. Thanks in advance.

        Alan R. Plechaty

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 24, 2013
          Hi,

          That offer, though a nice gesture, puts us "official" monkeys in a tight spot.

          As I assume those sets were purchased from CMP, that means we can't have you sharing those with just
          anyone. However, I'll be happy to give you guidance and get those sets up to speed.

          AlthoughI don't think CMPor Wizards will come after you, there are license agreements attached with
          owning those sets, which is why they couldn't update them after 2006? I'll kindly ask you not offer
          your sets on the pcgen lists, as we don't want any trouble with either of those two entities. ;)

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 24, 2013
            OK I apologize i did not mean to break any agreement of any sort. I just wanted to be able to upgrade the stuff i purchased so it is usable. LOL

            Alan R. Plechaty

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 24, 2013
              Hi,

              Replying off-list.

              On 4/24/2013 3:31 PM, Al wrote:
              > OK I apologize i did not mean to break any agreement of any sort. I just wanted to be able to upgrade the stuff i purchased so it is usable. LOL
              >

              > Alan R. Plechaty
              >

              > ________________________________

            • FerretDave
              Message 6 of 12 , May 29, 2013
                Greetings,
                (sorry, RealLife kept me away from pcgen for too long)

                Just a completely random thought, could we share a 'diff' file? If someone who's gone through all the pain of converting the old CodeMonkey files created a diff of the original/new, could that diff itself then be shared publicly?

                It's no use to anyone without the original, so may be safe licence wise?
                Of course it would require a diff for each file, and have to be version specific, but could save a lot of angst for those who want to convert...

                Just a thought...
                Cheers
                Dave

                Message 7 of 12 , May 29, 2013
                  Hi Dave,

                  What people choose to do off our lists is completely their own deal.

                  PCGen does not hold the license for CMP sets. We are not licensed to sell, store or share those
                  legally purchased sets.
                  As such, we respect CMP's wishes to not deal with them. PCGen is a legal entity of Brian McRoberts,
                  and as such, it's our duty to avoid anything that would land him in hot water.

                  The point being is whatever you dowith those setsis up to you. We just don't want you doing
                  whatever-it-is you-will-be-doing on our Groups. Not because we're mean monkeys, but because we're
                  not the ones that will be going to court, Brian would, IF CMP or Wizards chose to pursue it.

                  However, that said, I personally will help people use our tools to convert their CMP sets. You paid
                  money for them, thus I don't mind helping you out. It's the least I can do. I'd say it's safe to
                  say, I have the expertise to do that.

                  To answer your question - I honestly haven't a clue to the legality of a diff file in this case.
                  That's a gray area for sure. I'm not a lawyer, I don't have any lawyer friends with any experience
                  in this area (Sorry, my lawyer friends are Family Case Law and Criminal Defense, not
                  electronics/open source/distributed related)

                  Cheers,

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3, 2013
                    Greetings,
                    Fully appreciate all points, and certainly wouldn't be doing anything to put Brian or anyone working on PCGen at risk.

                    It is a legality question I guess, as to whether diff files violates any licence, and not one I'm qualified to answer that's for sure.

                    I'll assume the answer is no unless anyone can confirm otherwise, hence putting the question forward publically.

                    Cheers
                    Dave

                    > Hi Dave,
                    >
                    > What people choose to do off our lists is completely their own deal.
                    >
                    > PCGen does not hold the license for CMP sets. We are not licensed to sell, store or share those
                    > legally purchased sets.
                    > As such, we respect CMP's wishes to not deal with them. PCGen is a legal entity of Brian McRoberts,
                    > and as such, it's our duty to avoid anything that would land him in hot water.
                    >
                    > The point being is whatever you dowith those setsis up to you. We just don't want you doing
                    > whatever-it-is you-will-be-doing on our Groups. Not because we're mean monkeys, but because we're
                    > not the ones that will be going to court, Brian would, IF CMP or Wizards chose to pursue it.
                    >
                    > However, that said, I personally will help people use our tools to convert their CMP sets. You paid
                    > money for them, thus I don't mind helping you out. It's the least I can do. I'd say it's safe to
                    > say, I have the expertise to do that.
                    >
                    > To answer your question - I honestly haven't a clue to the legality of a diff file in this case.
                    > That's a gray area for sure. I'm not a lawyer, I don't have any lawyer friends with any experience
                    > in this area (Sorry, my lawyer friends are Family Case Law and Criminal Defense, not
                    > electronics/open source/distributed related)
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > On 5/29/2013 1:22 PM, FerretDave wrote:
                    > > Greetings,
                    > > (sorry, RealLife kept me away from pcgen for too long)
                    > >
                    > > Just a completely random thought, could we share a 'diff' file? If someone who's gone through all the pain of converting the old CodeMonkey files created a diff of the original/new, could that diff itself then be shared publicly?
                    > >
                    > > It's no use to anyone without the original, so may be safe licence wise?
                    > > Of course it would require a diff for each file, and have to be version specific, but could save a lot of angst for those who want to convert...
                    > >
                    > > Just a thought...
                    > > Cheers
                    > > Dave
                    > >
                    > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew <drew0500@> wrote:
                    > >> Hi,
                    > >>
                    > >> Replying off-list.

                  • Lee Dowd
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 3, 2013
                      I'm not a lawyer but ...
                      It looks to me like diff files would fit pretty clearly under fair use as far as copyright goes.  How it affects licences is another topic that is some what related and then there's the policy (that I believed PCGen wisely adopted) of trying not to offend any of the various publishers or gameing companies.

                      For you own use or even sharing elsewhere I think you are on pretty solid ground.
                      Lee

                      >________________________________

                    • Eric Jarman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 3, 2013
                        Based on how LST files work, I don't believe that a diff of a file would be
                        kosher at all.
                        A diff file works by showing the contents of a line in the original file
                        that needs to be changed, then the new contents of the line that is to
                        replace it.
                        With the number of changes since the last official CMP release, I don't
                        think there would be a single non-commented line in the source files that
                        wouldn't get touched.
                        So, since LST files work (usually) with everything for one entry on a
                        single line, you would effectively be giving away both the original format
                        of the file and the updated version.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 4, 2013
                          Good point, you'd stand a good chance of recreating all the original (closed content) files from the diffs...

                          Too risky to pursue this one then.