Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Modding Magic Missile breaks wizard

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 19, 2013
      Hi,

      There isn't a space in that line is there?

      On 4/19/2013 7:09 PM, Max Paige wrote:
      > I'm trying to add spells to a couple of custom classes. In my spells.lst
      > file, I added the line:
      >
      > Magic Missile.MOD CLASSES:ClassName=1
      >
      > This doesn't work in two different ways:
      > 1) I add the spell "Magic Missile.MOD" to my class's spell list, not just
      > magic missile (but the spell added has the full description & everything
      > for magic missile).
      > 2) When I try to make a wizard, I can select the favorite schools, but then
      > no other menus come up - such as starting clothes or HP - and it doesn't
      > add a level of wizard. Furthermore, I can't add any levels to any other
      > class once this bug has occurred. This happens 100% of the time.
      >
      > Thanks for any help!

    • Max Paige
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 19, 2013
        There are tabs - I think gmail butchered it for me.

        Magic Missile.MOD CLASSES:Spellsword=1

        There are one or two tabs between it.

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 20, 2013
          Okay,

          So, this would be a first I've ever heard of a Spell.MOD breaking a class.

          Are you loading anything else? Which version are you using?

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 20, 2013
            I'm using version 6.00.0

            For sources, I'm only using 'SRD 3.5 for Players' and my homebrew stuff,
            which includes: abilities.lst, ability_categories.lst, classes.lst,
            language.lst, races.lst, and spells.lst.

            Here is the error I am getting from pcgen.txt:

            SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.cdom.reference.AbstractReferenceManufacturer
            validateActive Spell Magical Key Change: Magic Missile to Magic Missile.MOD

            The only line in the spell.lst file is the magic missile modifier one. When
            I comment it out, the program works just fine. The modded spell is being
            added to a custom class - that might matter in some way.

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 20, 2013
              Hi,

              Send me the file(s) in question.

              or pastebin.com it and link here. Either way will work.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 20, 2013
                Attached are the class.lst and spell.lst files. My custom stuff also
                includes races, languages, abilities, and ability categories, but hopefully
                the bug will be reproducible with just these. The bug also happens if I use
                the default races instead of my custom races.

                Thanks,
                max

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 20, 2013
                  Hi,

                  I don't see anything (You did send it to me - admin@..., or perhaps help@...?)

                  This mailing list won't accept attachments.

                  Cheers,

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 21, 2013
                    Sent an email to admin@..., please let me know if you need any other
                    files or if you didn't recieve it.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 21, 2013
                      Hi,

                      I got it, and nothing jumps out at me. Is that everything you're using that's homebrew? Nothing else
                      that might be causing any issues?

                      How bout the Log? Any errors in your log?

                    • Barak
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 21, 2013
                        You sholdn't add "Magic Missile.MOD"... You should simply add "Magic
                        Missile"... There is no "Magic Missile.MOD" spell. You've modified the
                        original, not created a new spell.

                        Barak
                        On Apr 20, 2013 3:35 AM, "Max Paige" <paige.m89@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > I'm trying to add spells to a couple of custom classes. In my spells.lst
                        > file, I added the line:
                        >
                        > Magic Missile.MOD CLASSES:ClassName=1
                        >
                        > This doesn't work in two different ways:
                        > 1) I add the spell "Magic Missile.MOD" to my class's spell list, not just
                        > magic missile (but the spell added has the full description & everything
                        > for magic missile).
                        > 2) When I try to make a wizard, I can select the favorite schools, but then
                        > no other menus come up - such as starting clothes or HP - and it doesn't
                        > add a level of wizard. Furthermore, I can't add any levels to any other
                        > class once this bug has occurred. This happens 100% of the time.
                        >
                        > Thanks for any help!

                      • Max Paige
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 22, 2013
                          But I don't want to create a new spell, I want to modify the original and
                          add it to a new class's spell list. I can't find any way to do that in the
                          documentation, but <spell name>.MOD seems to be the only way possible.

                          On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Barak <barako@...> wrote:

                          > You sholdn't add "Magic Missile.MOD"... You should simply add "Magic
                          > Missile"... There is no "Magic Missile.MOD" spell. You've modified the
                          > original, not created a new spell.
                          >
                          > Barak
                          > On Apr 20, 2013 3:35 AM, "Max Paige" <paige.m89@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > I'm trying to add spells to a couple of custom classes. In my spells.lst
                          > > file, I added the line:
                          > >
                          > > Magic Missile.MOD CLASSES:ClassName=1
                          > >
                          > > This doesn't work in two different ways:
                          > > 1) I add the spell "Magic Missile.MOD" to my class's spell list, not just
                          > > magic missile (but the spell added has the full description & everything
                          > > for magic missile).
                          > > 2) When I try to make a wizard, I can select the favorite schools, but
                          > then
                          > > no other menus come up - such as starting clothes or HP - and it doesn't
                          > > add a level of wizard. Furthermore, I can't add any levels to any other
                          > > class once this bug has occurred. This happens 100% of the time.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for any help!

                        • Barak
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 22, 2013
                            On Apr 22, 2013 5:55 PM, "Max Paige" <paige.m89@...> wrote:

                            > But I don't want to create a new spell, I want to modify the original and
                            > add it to a new class's spell list. I can't find any way to do that in the
                            > documentation, but <spell name>.MOD seems to be the only way possible.

                            And that's what you do when you use. MOD.

                            However, you still refer to the spell by its regular name...

                            You said you used "Magic Missile.MOD" to try and add it to the spell list
                            and that is incorrect. You should still use "Magic Missile" when you want
                            to refer to the modified spell.

                            Barak