Add known spell from one class to another class?

  • steve.bliss@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2013
      OK, I'm yet another person, hacking some WotC 3.5e non-RSRD content into pcGen...

      In this case, I'm setting up an entry for the Ultimate Magus prestige class. One of the class abilities allows you to take a spell you know from your Wizard class, and add it to your Sorcerer known spells.

      Any suggestions on how to do this? Here's what I've tried so far:

      1. In an abilities.lst file, set up this special ability to add 1 spell to the Sorcerer's spells known:

      Wiz2Sor1 <tab>
      CHOOSE:NUMBER|MIN=0|MAX=1|TITLE=Choose spell level to transfer <tab>
      BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Sorcerer;LEVEL=%CHOICE|1

      When I tested this, the choice prompt came up, but it didn't seem to have any effect on spells known.

      2. In the prestige class.lst file, put an entry in the #2 class level line to actually transfer the spell:

      2 <tab>
      CHOOSE:SPELLS|CLASSLIST=Wizard[LEVELMIN=0;LEVELMAX=1;KNOWN=YES] <tab>
      SPELLS:SPELLBOOK=Known Spells|CLASS=Sorcerer|%CHOICE

      This setup didn't work - SPELLS:SPELLBOOK belongs in a starting kit, not a class file. When I took that part out, the CHOOSE tag still didn't trigger a prompt.

      So I'm pretty stuck at this point; any help would be much appreciated.

      Steve
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2013

        This is one area where the program can't accomplish this yet.

        There are a couple of CODE requests to get this feature implemented.

        In the mean time there are hacks if you want to go through the hoops -

        SPELLKNOWN can accomplish this, but you need to know the spell beforehand, and the class.

        Cheers,

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2013

          Thanks for the information. For now, using SPELLKNOWN will work, I'll just have to edit the UM prestige LST as my one UM character levels up.

          If I get more characters, I guess I'll create more prestige classes, with varying names.

          > This is one area where the program can't accomplish this yet.
          >
          > There are a couple of CODE requests to get this feature implemented.
          >
          > In the mean time there are hacks if you want to go through the hoops -
          >
          > SPELLKNOWN can accomplish this, but you need to know the spell beforehand, and the class.
          >

          > Cheers,
          >
          > On 3/29/2013 8:56 PM, steve.bliss@... wrote:
          > > OK, I'm yet another person, hacking some WotC 3.5e non-RSRD content into pcGen...
          > >
          > > In this case, I'm setting up an entry for the Ultimate Magus prestige class. One of the class abilities allows you to take a spell you know from your Wizard class, and add it to your Sorcerer known spells.
          > >
          > > Any suggestions on how to do this? Here's what I've tried so far:
          > >
          > > 1. In an abilities.lst file, set up this special ability to add 1 spell to the Sorcerer's spells known:
          > >
          > > Wiz2Sor1 <tab>
          > > CHOOSE:NUMBER|MIN=0|MAX=1|TITLE=Choose spell level to transfer <tab>
          > > BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Sorcerer;LEVEL=%CHOICE|1
          > >
          > > When I tested this, the choice prompt came up, but it didn't seem to have any effect on spells known.
          > >
          > > 2. In the prestige class.lst file, put an entry in the #2 class level line to actually transfer the spell:
          > >
          > > 2 <tab>
          > > CHOOSE:SPELLS|CLASSLIST=Wizard[LEVELMIN=0;LEVELMAX=1;KNOWN=YES] <tab>
          > > SPELLS:SPELLBOOK=Known Spells|CLASS=Sorcerer|%CHOICE
          > >
          > > This setup didn't work - SPELLS:SPELLBOOK belongs in a starting kit, not a class file. When I took that part out, the CHOOSE tag still didn't trigger a prompt.
          > >
          > > So I'm pretty stuck at this point; any help would be much appreciated.
          > >
          > > Steve

          > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
          > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

        • Doug Limmer
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 2013
            On 3/31/2013 5:46 PM, steve.bliss@... wrote:

            > Thanks for the information. For now, using SPELLKNOWN will work, I'll
            > just have to edit the UM prestige LST as my one UM character levels up.
            >
            > If I get more characters, I guess I'll create more prestige classes,
            > with varying names.

            Something I do when a character has a specific spell added to a
            character is to use a template. Here's a simple example from one of my
            template files:

            Bob the Wilder <t> SPELLKNOWN:CLASS|Wilder=1|Mindlink

            I do this for psionics and the Expanded Knowledge feat, but it should
            work in your case as well. You can modify the template to add more
            spells and at different levels, of course.

            DS/DL