5e subraces

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
      I'm trying to make my own dataset for DnD Next.
      What's the best way to implement subraces? ie. there are two dwarf subraces. there are some features that are common to all dwarves, and some that are applied to only a particular subrace.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
        Hi Michael,

        Subraces can be coded up in a few different manners:
        The most straight forward - Code each Subrace as it's own Race (This is our common practice)
        Code up the base Race, and then with an Abilitypool select the Subrace, which then applies
        everything to the Base. (Yes, this can work, and no, I don't really recommend it)

        Dwarf (Hill) OUTPUTNAME:[NAME] Dwarf
        BONUS:STAT|STR|2

        Dwarf (Mountain) OUTPUTNAME:[NAME] Dwarf
        BONUS:STAT|CON|2

        That would be two different races. Versus:

        Dwarf
        BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Dwarf Subrace Selection|1

        ABILITIES:
        Hill KEY:Dwarf ~ Hill
        BONUS:STAT|STR|2|TYPE=Racial
        TEMPLATE:Dwarf ~ Hill

        Mountain KEY:Dwarf ~ Mountain
        BONUS:STAT|CON|2|TYPE=Racial
        TEMPLATE:Dwarf ~ Mountain

        Hill KEY:Dwarf ~ Hill SUBRACE:YES
        Mountain KEY:Dwarf ~ Mountain SUBRACE:YES

        Final result would list Dwarf (Subrace Chosen)

        So, as you can see, either method will produce the same net result, but the amount of effort to go
        through is the difference. It's much easier to just go with One Race per subrace; however, you do
        reduce the list of actual races.

        I'm play testing D&D Next, so it's nice to hear someone taking on coding this piece up. If you need
        a hand just let me know.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
          Coding each subrace as a separate race is what I've done so far. In the race tab, the stat bonus shows up. I'm guessing that if I coded a base, and select for the subrace, the stat bonus won't show up on the race tab?

          Also, what's the proper way to use templates?
          I've tried having a size template
          Size_M SIZE:M FACE:5 REACH:5
          and then put TEMPLATE:Size_M in the race description.
          But, the size doesn't show up on the race tab, or in the description, but it DOES show up on the character sheet.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 25, 2013

            If you're going by race tab, then I believe that is correct. However, if you append 'TYPE=Racial' to
            the BONUS:STAT the summary tab will correctly display the bonus as Race.

            Yes, if you omit a SIZE tag in the race, then the race is without Size. Race goes by what it has.
            It'd be best to give it a SIZE and then you can change it with a template if needed.