Re: Can you have MULT:NO with a CHOOSE?

  • Ding
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
      Ok, that worked for the feat I had trouble with, but now I'm running into a different issue. I have a supernatural ability that is granted by a prestige class:
      Imbue Unarmed Strike
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      TYPE:SpecialQuality.Supernatural
      VISIBLE:YES
      DESC:Your unarmed strike gains the %1 property.|%LIST
      MULT:YES
      CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|STRING|Flaming|Frost|Ghost Touch|Shock|Thundering

      I'm debating on whether it should be an attack rather than a quality, but regardless, when I try to load the source, I get this error:

      14:34:43.828 SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.core.AbilityCategory doResolve Invalid use of MULT:YES Ability Imbue Unarmed Strike where a target [parens] is required
      14:34:43.829 SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.core.AbilityCategory doResolve PLEASE TAKE NOTE: If usage locations are reported, not all usages are necessary illegal (at least one is)

      So it appears that because there's a chooser in the ability, I have to specify which choice when I add the ability? I'm simply using this on the level line of the class:
      5
      ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Imbue Unarmed Strike

      Thanks,
      Jason

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013

        Two issues:

        1) CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=x doesn't work with STRING
        2) You need to preselect the Choice if directly granted since a chooser won't pop up, instead you
        need to use BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|x|1

        In the ABILITYPOOL you'll want to have the Preselected on a PRExxx

        Example:
        Imbue Unarmed Strike Choice CATEGORY:Internal TYPE:YourAbilityPoolType
        CHOOSE:STRING|Flaming|Frost|Ghost Touch|Shock|Thundering ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Imbued
        Unarmed Strike(Flaming)|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Internal,Imbue unarmed Strike Choice(Flaming)

        Repeat for each type. As to the SpecialQuality vs. SpecialAttack, it affects an opponent, I'd call
        it an Attack myself.

        Cheers,